Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/14/2011 5:11:15 AM EDT
http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/03/13/6256121-general-electric-designed-reactors-in-fukushima-have-23-sisters-in-us

Well, now it's all starting to make sense!  

Nuke plants designed by liberals = eventual failure ..... like all things designed by liberals.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:12:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/03/13/6256121-general-electric-designed-reactors-in-fukushima-have-23-sisters-in-us

Nuke plants designed by liberals = eventual failure ..... like all things designed by liberals.

It took an 8.9 quake and a 30' tsunami to bring them down...I would not consider that failed....IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:14:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It took an 8.9 quake and a 30' tsunami to bring them down...I would not consider that failed....IMHO.
And on a 40 year design and life span.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:15:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They were supposedly designed to be fail-safe for just that very eventuality.  The fact that it was the simplest of things that failed (e.g. pumps, back-up generators) tells me there was more salesmanship than engineering in those things ......... like most things that come out of GE.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:19:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

They were supposedly designed to be fail-safe for just that very eventuality.  The fact that it was the simplest of things that failed (e.g. pumps, back-up generators) tells me there was more salesmanship than engineering in those things ......... like most things that come out of GE.

The region got smacked by the fist of God, try designing something that can withstand that and get back to us.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:22:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They were supposedly designed to be fail-safe for just that very eventuality. The fact that it was the simplest of things that failed (e.g. pumps, back-up generators) tells me there was more salesmanship than engineering in those things ......... like most things that come out of GE.

The region got smacked by the fist of God, try designing something that can withstand that and get back to us.

Oh, the core of the plants (pun intended) certainly withstood the quake.  As far as I know none of the  buildings sustained damage from the tremor itself.  But it seems that the back-up stuff was added on as an afterthought.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:23:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And they STILL haven't murdered thousands of kids.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:25:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Siemens is the way to roll.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:29:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

They are designed and tested to withstand earthquakes of a certain degree - no design claims to be 100% earthquake proof.  No matter how much engineering you put into something, you simply can't make it nature-proof.  Nature will always find a way to make a bigger huricane, a taller tsunami, a stronger earthquake, or a more deet-resistant mosquito.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:37:05 AM EDT
[#9]
This thread has dumb so thick you could cut it with a knife!

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:38:01 AM EDT
[#10]
While we're at it, let's blame J.P. Morgan too!
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:47:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This thread has dumb so thick you could cut it with a knife!

Maybe GE built the containment vessel for stupid.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:48:45 AM EDT
[#12]
It got shook by an earth quake then hit by a fucking tidal wave........
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:50:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It got shook by and earth quake then hit by a fucking tidal wave........

Normal people would call this a success story.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:52:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I got a better one for you

I heard some imbecilic dem congressman talking about how the westinghouse nuclear reactors would shatter like glass if hit with an earthquake....

Which is not true, an impartial guy said the westinghouses were better than the ones japan has(had?).

Bet if I looked into his campaign contributions...ge would be in there...tell you something you didn't already know right?

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:54:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Mother nature's a bitch, a very creative bitch who WILL find the weakest spot to strike.

That said, you'd hope that something as important as a nuke plant would have that extra hardware well protected and built to survive the same conditions, otherwise it kind of defeats the purpose. It wouldn't surprise me if it really WAS just added on to meet specific needs, not designed as part of the primary package. The engineers who designed the main facility listed requirements for the ancillary equipment in terms of flow rate, power output.... and just assumed it would also be built or reinforced to meet the same redundancy and "anti-mother nature" requirements as the primary facilities.

We have a reactor near here that has great security for all sorts of stuff, but just looking at photographs points out huge gaping flaws too, all related to areas not directly tied to the nuke side, but that would effect it if destroyed or damaged. It's appalling but it's been that way for years and they clearly haven't bothered updating it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:55:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Lets see... Japan got hit with an 8.9 mag quake and the plant, located on the shore, got hit with a 33 foot tsunami. The quake was so severe it moved the whole of Japan something like 8 feet, dislodged a 250 x 100 mile piece of the earths crust and even slightly shifted the earths axis.

I am quite amazed that its still standing so I'm going with benefit of the doubt here and say that the plant probably withstood something it was not designed for.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:26:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seems they have their turbine engines well under control

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:27:58 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Siemens is the way to roll.

aren't those just Westinghouse designs?

Which ARE better then the GE designs, my old man has been a nuclear engineer for quite a while and has always said that.  

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:35:28 AM EDT
[#19]
There seems to be a growing hatred of large corporations here on Arfcom.  Where the hell does this come from?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:46:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

There seems to be a growing hatred of large corporations here on Arfcom. Where the hell does this come from?

The hatred for GE stems from it snuggling with the government.   I love capitalism.  GE's actions are anti-capitalist and worthy of my hatred.

It's not hate for corporations you are seeing as much as hate for government and corporations partying on our dime.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:56:12 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

There seems to be a growing hatred of large corporations here on Arfcom.  Where the hell does this come from?

It comes from government and corporations colluding to circumvent free markets and individual liberty.  It is a branch of fascism.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:59:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It comes from government and corporations colluding to circumvent free markets and individual liberty.  It is a branch of fascism.

VTHokie nails it on the head again.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:10:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

first post and all....

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:11:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

your expectations are a little on the unrealistic side.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:12:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

first post and all....

exactly, it would be like saying my car failed after I drove it into a overpass embankment at 175mph
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:21:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The plant is 40 years old and withstood one of the largest earthquakes in recent history, as well as a tsunami.

If anything, that's a testament to it's safety.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:33:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The plant is 40 years old and withstood one of the largest earthquakes in recent history, as well as a tsunami.

And the safety margin was designed for a a quake more in the 7-8 range. Look up the mathematics of earthquake magnitude, it is NOT a linear scale of force and effect.  You MIGHT be able to fault the Japanese for not anticipating a tsunami traveling that far inland to knock out the aux generators but all things considered this is a HUGE win for the safety of nuclear power plants. Of course it will be spun completely the other way by the MSM..
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:48:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

VTHokie nails it on the head again.

Yep.  Corporatism.  Case and point with anti-trust legislation, it's not the government that lobbies for it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:49:08 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They were supposedly designed to be fail-safe for just that very eventuality. The fact that it was the simplest of things that failed (e.g. pumps, back-up generators) tells me there was more salesmanship than engineering in those things ......... like most things that come out of GE.

Oh, the core of the plants (pun intended) certainly withstood the quake.  As far as I know none of the  buildings sustained damage from the tremor itself.  But it seems that the back-up stuff was added on as an afterthought.

I suggest you just stop right now, before you begin to gag on your foot. You obviously have no clue what your talking about.

Yes I agree that the Japense should have designed the EDGs to be a bit more protected, but a 30ft tsunami washing thoguh the plant and pretty much all bets are off.

The safety systems were not an after thought and the reliability and redundancy is a lot higher that you can fathom. You just can't plan for everything.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:55:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Considering one of the buildings on the site of the plant is completely gone, and the 40 year old plant took a near direct hit from the 4th largest quake in recorded history, plus a 30+ft tall wall of water and is actually still on the site, I'd say it's a testament to the safety and reliability of the system.

You're complaining about the backup systems being external and being damaged by this mega disaster, where would you have placed them?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:06:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Being mad at Liberals is completely appropriate when many people have died, or lost their homes.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:10:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Being mad at Liberals is completely appropriate when many people have died, or lost their homes.

You should direct your anger to whatever deity controls earthquakes.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:22:02 AM EDT
[#33]
So, just how are they going to tie this one to Dick Chaney?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:23:33 AM EDT
[#34]
LOL, just like the ETC Throttle Pedal that gave Toyota problems was from a US supplier.

Fuck GE.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:25:36 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

LOL, just like the ETC Throttle Pedal that gave Toyota problems was from a US supplier.

Fuck GE.

And was also well overblown and mostly based on driver error.  If you have the time to call 911 to tell the police that your car's accelerator is stuck, then you have time to punch it out of gear, or turning the ignition off.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:27:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
So, just how are they going to tie this one to Dick Chaney?

Haliburton Earthquake machine
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:31:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck GE.

And was also well overblown and mostly based on driver error.  If you have the time to call 911 to tell the police that your car's accelerator is stuck, then you have time to punch it out of gear, or turning the ignition off.

The true tragedy in all of this is that all the systems will (most likely) work as designed and contain the problem and it will still be spun as a 'failure' for nuclear power.

Sucks when non-technical people try to analyze engineered systems.  This is a once in 500 years worse case scenario and the Japanese are showing the world how a modern society ought to handle a crisis.

It will still be spun as a negative though.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:34:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

And on a 40 year design and life span.

All this, considering the massive amount of energy of a 8.9 quake AND 30' Tsunami it's a miracle the damn thing is actually still standing. This was back when G.E. made good stuff and built things to last; any 40+ industrial structures that functions to this point is remarkable.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:37:43 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck GE.

The true tragedy in all of this is that all the systems will (most likely) work as designed and contain the problem and it will still be spun as a 'failure' for nuclear power.

Sucks when non-technical people try to analyze engineered systems.  This is a once in 500 years worse case scenario and the Japanese are showing the world how a modern society ought to handle a crisis.

It will still be spun as a negative though.
My parents live near a nuke plant here in VA and my mom is all hand wringing over what might happen if something happens there.  Most people are clueless about the nuclear power and chemistry.  Most of which they "know" is based on Hollywood, fictitious novels, and the hysterical fear caused by not understanding something which really isn't complicated on the general level.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:40:54 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Retardation.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:49:15 AM EDT
[#41]
I am sure they will learn a lot after this.  Perhaps that just shouldn't build them where there is a risk of both earthquakes and Tsunamis.   I think they properly scram if its just earthquakes that present a risk, but the Tsunami was just too much..
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:50:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Mother nature's a bitch, a very creative bitch who WILL find the weakest spot to strike.

That said, you'd hope that something as important as a nuke plant would have that extra hardware well protected and built to survive the same conditions, otherwise it kind of defeats the purpose. It wouldn't surprise me if it really WAS just added on to meet specific needs, not designed as part of the primary package. The engineers who designed the main facility listed requirements for the ancillary equipment in terms of flow rate, power output.... and just assumed it would also be built or reinforced to meet the same redundancy and "anti-mother nature" requirements as the primary facilities.

We have a reactor near here that has great security for all sorts of stuff, but just looking at photographs points out huge gaping flaws too, all related to areas not directly tied to the nuke side, but that would effect it if destroyed or damaged. It's appalling but it's been that way for years and they clearly haven't bothered updating it.

Yeah, because photographs tell you everything you need to know about internal workings of a nuclear plant...

And as for updating it, thanks to .gov regs, it's cheaper to shut the plant down.  Ask the owners of Perry unit #2.

ETA <=== Electrical engineer working at a nuclear power plant when that August blackout hit in '03.  Aside from being an expert on Google Earth, upon what expertise are you drawing your conclusions on nuclear safety?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:51:48 AM EDT
[#43]
My personal experiance with GE would be 4 brand new appliances. The plastic molded liner inside my refrigerator split wide open and GE refused to honnor their warrenty as it was "cosmetic". Then the dishwash pump started acting up. To this day if I shut the water off in the house I have to prime the dish washer or the pump will just grind. The oven has a new broiler heater and the microwave is slowly loosing power.
Mind you this is their second from the top line of appliances.

I will not buy from GE again because like most American companies the warranty or customer service does not compete with the other brands from around the world.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:54:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My personal experiance with GE would be 4 brand new appliances. The plastic molded liner inside my refrigerator split wide open and GE refused to honnor their warrenty as it was "cosmetic". Then the dishwash pump started acting up. To this day if I shut the water off in the house I have to prime the dish washer or the pump will just grind. The oven has a new broiler heater and the microwave is slowly loosing power.
Mind you this is their second from the top line of appliances.

I will not buy from GE again because like most American companies the warranty or customer service does not compete with the other brands from around the world.

Well, since their dishwasher sucks, their nuclear power plants probably do, too.

For fucks sake, people.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:55:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Retardation.  

The true retardation is thinking that GE in any way supports free markets.

Along with GM and Goldman Sachs, they represent all that's corrupt and rotten about the direction this country is heading.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:55:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the safety margin was designed for a a quake more in the 7-8 range. Look up the mathematics of earthquake magnitude, it is NOT a linear scale of force and effect.  You MIGHT be able to fault the Japanese for not anticipating a tsunami traveling that far inland to knock out the aux generators but all things considered this is a HUGE win for the safety of nuclear power plants. Of course it will be spun completely the other way by the MSM..

I am sure this is how history will look back on this event, hugh win, defining win. Everyone will want one of these in their backyards.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:59:18 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

How fucking dense are you?

Everything fails, and it will fail faster when Nature gives it a little bump.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:00:11 AM EDT
[#48]
There isn't a faceplam big enough for the amount of stupid contained in this thread.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:05:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
There isn't a faceplam big enough for the amount of stupid contained in this thread.

No shit.  FAR more people will have died or been injured from their homes collapsing, but you won't read a single comment regarding insufficient building codes.

Edited for grammar.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:06:50 AM EDT
[#50]
I think they have done pretty damn good considering what has happened to them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top