Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2002 3:00:29 PM EDT
I once heard or read that the word "fuck" came from medeivel times when the king owned everything.  When people wanted to have sex, they got approval first, and then posted something on the door that read:

Fornication Under Consent of the King

Hence the term fuck.

Anyone else heard of this?

Balming
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 3:03:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I always thought it came from [b] For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge [/b].

Like the Van Halen album, man!
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#2]
General rule of thumb (erhh, wrist[:)]?):

A) If any word supposedly derived as an acronym is over 100 years old, it is likely NOT derived from an acronym.

B) If related words can be found in other related languages, it is most definitley not derived from an acronym.

Both situations apply here.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 3:16:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Fornicating Under the Consent of the King did come about in medieval times. However is was more than just permission to have sex. It legalized unmarried unions (Shacking Up).

Fornicating Under the Consent of the King came about because the Catholic Church had a lock on performing marriages. The pesants could not afford an expensive Church wedding. The church was angry at the peasants unmarried unions, hence the term "shacking up."

Then some brainy king gave his consent (Royal Decree?)for cohabitation, which was called Fornicating Under the Consent of the King.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 3:25:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Doesn't matter how it came about, still resulted in a darn good word! Though I do refrain from using it in polite company, there are times when nothing else will do...

[-=(_)=-]
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 3:30:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Hmmm, and I always thought that it was from the German word [i][b]ficken[/b][/i], meaning to copulate, the past tense of which is [b][i]fuckt[/i][/b].

I believe that this is the derivation given by most dictionaries for the word.

Eric The(ButThenIDon'tSpendAGreatDealOfTimeLookingUpThatKindaStuff)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I always thought that the word fuck was derived from the old english verb "fong" (to strike).

Jake
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 3:42:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's Cecil Adams, author of [u]The Straight Dope[/u], on the derivation of this word:

[url]http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_268b.html[/url]

Eric The(GladToBeOfService)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 3:59:42 PM EDT
[#8]
When my junior year history teacher taught us the meaning it was For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge. Meaning if you had sex out of wedlock the authorities made you wear a sign around your neck that said FUCK. If you had to wear the sign you were a Fucker.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 4:56:31 PM EDT
[#9]
It doesn't become true by repeating it perpetually.

Middle High German (as opposed to old or modern High German): ficken = reiben (to rub)

also in the Lower Rhine dialect: vycken, and Norwegian:  norw. fik[l]a, to thrust

see the German family name and extinct profession "Schwertfeger", someone who sharpens a sword by thrusting in and out of a heap of steel filings

from this:

fuck
Pronunciation: 'f&k
Function: verb
Etymology: akin to Dutch fokken to breed (cattle), Swedish dialect fokka to copulate
Date: 1503

And to whoever brings up that fornication rubbish next: Go and Fornicate Urself
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 5:12:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Alrighty then.

How about flipping someone off?  I heard that in the dark ages  that if you were an archer, and the opposing force captured you, they would cut off your middle finger making it difficult to pull the bowstring.  To show defiance, the archers would stick up their middle fingers while at war to basically say "Fuck you! I still got my middle finger!"

Anyone?

Balming

Link Posted: 7/22/2002 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#11]
wrong, wrong, wrong.........

this guy is the true Focker.

[img]http://us.ent4.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/universal_pictures/meet_the_parents/_group_photos/ben_stiller1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Maybe this will provide some answers..or maybe more questions. I think it backs up ETH's answer somewhat?

WARNING: The below is a link to an adult wav sound file! it is very tastfully funny, but still for adults only

[url]http://home.attbi.com/~gfy/images/fword.wav[/url]
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 5:35:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Alrighty then.

How about flipping someone off?  I heard that in the dark ages  that if you were an archer, and the opposing force captured you, they would cut off your middle finger making it difficult to pull the bowstring.  To show defiance, the archers would stick up their middle fingers while at war to basically say "Fuck you! I still got my middle finger!"

Anyone?

Balming

View Quote

My understanding on this on is that they would cut off both the 1st and 2nd fingers. This was done mainly  to the british yomen (archers) who, in their heyday were more feared than anyone else on the field.  British archers could regularly hit a man sized target in excess of 200 meters. and could reload many times faster than their opponents (french crossbow archers) This is why the british use two fingers to "flip the bird"  I've seen this on the History Channel, and read it in "armies and warfare in the middle ages"
As far as the english word "Fuck," I've studied and re-enacted 18th century america for 15 years, and have found many slang terms for sex, but not Fuck (of course that doesn't mean it wasn't used, just that I couldn't find a reference to it)
Then again what the fuck do I know!?

(edited cause I can't type worth a "fuck")
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#14]
http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/fuck.htm
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#15]
My little contribution.  When the french (they don't deserve capitalization) captured an English archer, they would cut off the left thumb.  That way he couldn't hold a bow.

You really only need a thumb and finger on the other hand to hold the arrow when you nock it.  Middle eastern and asian archers frequently used a thumb ring to grasp the bowstring and draw the bow.  In fact, this allowed them to pull a greater bow weight.  Since the 100 years war occurred well after the Crusades, they were familiar with the technique and I'm sure that an archer who had a finger amputated, making it tough to draw in the European style, would have found out about the eastern style and used it.

As to the upright middle finger, I think the explanation is pretty simple.  The upright finger and knuckles on either side is a fairly good visual representation of an erect penis and testicles, hence f**k you.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#16]
It came from "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge", it originated in Briatin. It was the formal term for rape. Then people got lazy and turned it into an acronym.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 4:21:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It came from "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge", it originated in Briatin. It was the formal term for rape. Then people got lazy and turned it into an acronym.
View Quote

And it's still not fucking true. Didn't you read any of above threads?
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:07:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
wrong, wrong, wrong.........

this guy is the true Focker.

[img]http://us.ent4.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/universal_pictures/meet_the_parents/_group_photos/ben_stiller1.jpg[/img]
View Quote

BWAHAHAHAHA, You guys remember the fiancees first name?!?! It was Martha.....so after they got married she would be Martha Focker
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 12:18:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/fuck.htm[/url]
View Quote
making link hot
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top