Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
4/22/2019 5:32:20 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/22/2013 6:01:39 AM EDT
My cheapo 6 cup coffee maker at the shop just died; seems like the heating element gave up.
I boiled water in the microwave and poured it through the basket, but it's not very strong or hot.
It's 6*F outside...I really wanted some hot coffee

Fucking Black and Decker hunk of shit...

Speed
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:02:06 AM EDT
The worst of timing, dude.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:06:02 AM EDT
Bunn Velocity Brew could be your new best friend.

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:07:07 AM EDT
You got a walmart handy?

I've gotten 6+ years out of their cheapest Mr Coffee.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:08:16 AM EDT

Tie up the top of your filter full of grounds and zip-tie it closed. Microwave your weak-ish coffee until it is almost boiling, then drop in the filter. Steep until strong, then carefully squeeze the remaining liquid out of the filter, careful not to tear it.

Or, go cowboy.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:09:56 AM EDT
Just break into your emergency stash of Folgers crystals.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:10:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By WinstonSmith:
You got a walmart handy?

My old Mr. Coffee at the house still works...it's gotta be over 8 years old now. I'll be bringing it tomorrow
I bought this 6 cup Black n Decker at Target for $10 or so about 2.5 years ago. I filled er up, then went back and nothing. No heat, no coffee

Speed
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:11:14 AM EDT
Just made a fresh pot here.......
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:12:31 AM EDT
You can't "pour it through."

You have to dribble the boiling water through it a bit at a time.

BTDT
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:15:25 AM EDT
Originally Posted By speedracer422:

You got a walmart handy?

My old Mr. Coffee at the house still works...it's gotta be over 8 years old now. I'll be bringing it tomorrow
I bought this 6 cup Black n Decker at Target for $10 or so about 2.5 years ago. I filled er up, then went back and nothing. No heat, no coffee

Speed

you damned sure got your moneys worth.

I ran across a deal a few months back.

Keurig....the latest one. for $70, then to top it off, I got a $50 rebate.I got it for $16.xx

I have had many coffee pots in my time. Used a press for years.
This is by far the best fucking thing I have ever put in my breakfast arsenal
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:16:55 AM EDT
Originally Posted By speedracer422:

... I filled er up, then went back and nothing. No heat, no coffee

Speed

Did you check your breakers?

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:17:22 AM EDT
Originally Posted By strat81:

This. I always have instant coffee and powdered creamer stashed away. I also have a backup emergency coffee maker and a coffee press just in case.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:18:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By red_on_black:

Tie up the top of your filter full of grounds and zip-tie it closed. Microwave your weak-ish coffee until it is almost boiling, then drop in the filter. Steep until strong, then carefully squeeze the remaining liquid out of the filter, careful not to tear it.

Or, go cowboy.

Ingenuity. When you absolutely, positively have to have coffee...you figure shit out.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:21:04 AM EDT
Obama did it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:21:43 AM EDT
This would be a good time to ask the Hive Mind, what's a good coffee maker?

I work with guys that drink coffee like Ted Kennedy drank whiskey, and we go through several coffee makers a year. The big industrial Bunn we have just won't quit, but it makes terrible coffee so my guys complain rather than use it. I've bought at least half a dozen of the Cuisinart DCC-1200 models. I like them for the auto-shutoff feature, but the coffee quality is highly variable. I use the same amount of coffee with the same amount of filtered water with the same grind every time, but sometimes it's weak and sometimes it's bitter. You can even see a difference in the color of the coffee it's so out of whack. I want a consistently good maker. I don't care if it only lasts a month.z
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:23:57 AM EDT
http://www.capresso.com/

Mine is going on fifteen years old and runs like a champ. The coffee is great. Nothing like grinding the beans just seconds before the water hits them.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:25:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/22/2013 6:26:24 AM EDT by IAMLEGEND]

Nasty. How about Starbucks Via?

Also, shouldn't OP have a French press for camping, emergencies, and apocalypse coffee?

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:27:19 AM EDT
Originally Posted By zoom:

I work with guys that drink coffee like Ted Kennedy drank whiskey, and we go through several coffee makers a year. The big industrial Bunn we have just won't quit, but it makes terrible coffee so my guys complain rather than use it. I've bought at least half a dozen of the Cuisinart DCC-1200 models. I like them for the auto-shutoff feature, but the coffee quality is highly variable. I use the same amount of coffee with the same amount of filtered water with the same grind every time, but sometimes it's weak and sometimes it's bitter. You can even see a difference in the color of the coffee it's so out of whack. I want a consistently good maker. I don't care if it only lasts a month.z

A french press can be durable (plastic), and will make consistently good coffee. They can just be a righteous pain in the ass to clean.

Add one of those electric tea kettles for heating the water and you're set. That'll last until the heating element conks out, but then you're just out a source of heat. A #10 can and a propane torch will do in a pinch.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:28:26 AM EDT
I just finished my second cup. F your life.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:28:31 AM EDT
I have found that instant coffee that's been opened for 5 or 6 years is still plenty good, even though everyone says it's only good for a year.

I usually have 2 or 3 big cans of ground coffee and 2 or 3 jars of instant on, plus hundreds of tea bags. My blood is 10% caffeine by volume.

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:29:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/22/2013 6:32:26 AM EDT by NightFAL]

We have had great results with the Bunn. It makes the best tasting coffee of any coffee maker we have ever used. I also like that it only takes 3 minutes to brew.

No timers, no modes, no CPU, just great coffee.

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:31:31 AM EDT
I like to nurse them along even after the hard water has almost wrecked them. Just a cheapskate I guess.

Fact is, I could throw out my coffeemaker and buy a new one 2 or 3 times each month and I'd still be spending less than those poor suckers who let Starbucks, Caribou, etc. make their coffee.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:33:34 AM EDT

A french press can be durable (plastic), and will make consistently good coffee. They can just be a righteous pain in the ass to clean.

Add one of those electric tea kettles for heating the water and you're set. That'll last until the heating element conks out, but then you're just out a source of heat. A #10 can and a propane torch will do in a pinch.

I have an instant hot tap at the kitchen sink and use that for the French press. It's great. I have the Bodum polycarbonate model. Cleaning isn't too bad. Swish hot water around in it and let it sit for a bit. Rinse. Sometimes use soappy water. Worse that happens is a little coffee residue in your coffee.

Highly recommend the Bodum polycarbonate press. Their electric burr grinder is pretty awesome too. Way more consistent grind than a whirlybird so hardly any dust/fines that make their ay through the press screen into the coffee.

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:34:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/22/2013 6:36:31 AM EDT by mainfr4me]
If it's just for yourself, I'd go get an electric water kettle and a pour over unit for coffee. Great coffee, easier to clean than a press IMHO.

If you have multiple people, go grab a Mr Coffee or similar.

ETA: For small quantities of coffee, such as a pour over, I grab one of these JavaGrind camping burr grinders. Quick and easy.

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:34:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Richard-ar15:
I like to nurse them along even after the hard water has almost wrecked them. Just a cheapskate I guess.

Fact is, I could throw out my coffeemaker and buy a new one 2 or 3 times each month and I'd still be spending less than those poor suckers who let Starbucks, Caribou, etc. make their coffee.

You'd spend less than those with a hardcore keurig habit too.

Some white vinegar run through once every month or two will strip off a lot of the mineral deposits from the hard water though. Lived on hard water most my life, and that keeps our pots running just fine. Just run a few pots of straight water through it afterwards if you don't want your morning joe tasting like salad dressing for a few days.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:34:48 AM EDT
Originally Posted By speedracer422:I bought this 6 cup Black n Decker at Target for $10 or so about 2.5 years ago.

You got your money's worth. 2.5 years = 912 days. $10/912 = $0.01/day.

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:37:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By IAMLEGEND:

Nasty. How about Starbucks Via?

Also, shouldn't OP have a French press for camping, emergencies, and apocalypse coffee?

Exactly. This is a disappointing thread.

No penny stove to boil some water? No paper towels to make a coffee-teabag? Or better yet, my favorite:

OP, get with the program!
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:37:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NightFAL:

We have had great results with the Bunn. It makes the best tasting coffee of any coffee maker we have ever used. I also like that it only takes 3 minutes to brew.

No timers, no modes, no CPU, just great coffee.

http://i50.tinypic.com/14wdj6o.jpg

I agree. I have an old "dumb" model that was handed down to me, and it's well into its second lifetime of service - with no parts ever replaced.

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:39:31 AM EDT
Originally Posted By jeepnstein:
http://www.capresso.com/

Mine is going on fifteen years old and runs like a champ. The coffee is great. Nothing like grinding the beans just seconds before the water hits them.

What model? I bought a Capresso MG600 at Bed Bath & Beyond last month that I need to take back. It doesn't get the water hot enough. I like that it has an auto-shutoff and is faster than the Breville or the Cuisinart ones we had beside it, but 160 degrees is not hot enough. It also dumped some of the grounds into the coffee like the Breville does. I assume I could fix that by adjusting the grind, but that's annoying because the grinder is shared with a Bunn that uses a paper filter and a Cuisinart with a tighter mesh that both work better with the finer grind.

It's sad that modern society can make an iPhone, but a decent coffee maker is so damn hard to find.z
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:40:22 AM EDT
You got a walmart handy?

I got a Mr. Coffee French Press coffee maker from WalMart. Great coffee.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:41:39 AM EDT

So true, but when you have fifty coffee drinkers in the office with about a dozen heavy drinkers, that just doesn't scale.z
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:41:45 AM EDT
That constitutes an emergency and you need to eject now and seek out a replacement
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:45:55 AM EDT
Bialetti. </eot>
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:47:32 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Richard-ar15:

You'd spend less than those with a hardcore keurig habit too.

Some white vinegar run through once every month or two will strip off a lot of the mineral deposits from the hard water though. Lived on hard water most my life, and that keeps our pots running just fine. Just run a few pots of straight water through it afterwards if you don't want your morning joe tasting like salad dressing for a few days.

Durgol. Magic shit.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:47:40 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:51:08 AM EDT
They usually have a thermal fuse, check this. You can "fix" it with a jumper wire.

Got tools like a multimeter?
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:56:20 AM EDT
Originally Posted By headless1916:
Bialetti. </eot>

We have one of their stovetop expresso machines. A former employee used to consistently make awesome Cuban coffee with it, but no one else that tried was able to make it work well. If you know what you're doing, you can definitely make some good coffee with one. FYI, what Bialetti calls a cup is much smaller than what Americans are used to so buy a bigger model than you think you need.z
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:02:18 AM EDT
Lol, yes I have all sorts of coffee making implements...at home French press, 2 percolators, a healthy stash of instant for camping.
I do have some instant coffee packets and some hot chocolate in the truck along w/ my canteen cup/stove and triox, but I was really craving some of this fresh roasted Sumatran i just picked up

I know I'm supposed to drip it through the basket, but that was not easy w/ the coffee mug or Styrofoam cup. I had to just pour it in.
I already drank it and I still want more

Speed
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:03:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Keith_J:
They usually have a thermal fuse, check this. You can "fix" it with a jumper wire.

Got tools like a multimeter?

Yes at home, where I also have a backup Mr. Coffee

Speed
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:05:22 AM EDT

Actually I broke the glass bulb on top of my percolator.

Which figures. I am a bit 'tarded.

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:08:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Cheesebeast:

Actually I broke the glass bulb on top of my percolator.

Which figures. I am a bit 'tarded.

I've got a stainless steel walmart one that I broke off the handle pieces.
It still works I just have to use a rag to grab it

Speed
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:09:35 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:13:41 AM EDT
Get a Mr.Coffee. Those damned things are hard to kill. If you are inclined the new hotness is the Keurig. I refused to use ours until I ran out of coffee beans (I'm pretty sure that was engineered by my wife as a dastardly scheme to force me to use the Keurig). Now I love it, convenient as hell although I still complain about the cost of the single serving cups every time they show up at the house. I find myself too lazy to use the plastic adapter cup that allows you to use your own ground coffee.

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:15:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By brassburn:
Get a Mr.Coffee. Those damned things are hard to kill. If you are inclined the new hotness is the Keurig. I refused to use ours until I ran out of coffee beans (I'm pretty sure that was engineered by my wife as a dastardly scheme to force me to use the Keurig). Now I love it, convenient as hell although I still complain about the cost of the single serving cups every time they show up at the house. I find myself too lazy to use the plastic adapter cup that allows you to use your own ground coffee.

Way ahead of you. This is the coffee maker at the shop. We have some Delonghi thing my gf bought at home, and my old ass Mr. Coffee is in a box somewhere.
I'll be bringing the Mr. Coffee into work tomorrow to solve this problem.

Speed
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:18:29 AM EDT

ONLY buy a Keurig at Costco, they will take it on return whe it breaks. I am on my 4th machine. I only paid for the first one. They don't last a year and I use bottled water exclusively.

That said, who doesn't have a French press or even some instant lying around for emergencies! Priorities man! Hope for the best, prep for the worst.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:20:15 AM EDT
I'm pretty sure that's where ours came from so that's good to know. We only use bottled water in ours also.

Originally Posted By Armed_RN:

ONLY buy a Keurig at Costco, they will take it on return whe it breaks. I am on my 4th machine. I only paid for the first one. They don't last a year and I use bottled water exclusively.

That said, who doesn't have a French press or even some instant lying around for emergencies! Priorities man! Hope for the best, prep for the worst.

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:20:33 AM EDT
I drink enough coffee at work that I am on a first name basis with Mr. Coffee.

I call him Bob.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:20:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Armed_RN:

I'm at work.

Everybody keeps posting this stuff; I'm very prepared, just not so much at the shop

Speed
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:25:52 AM EDT
Can't go wrong with the Bunn's....just ask Sir Mix a Lot.

I've been a hard core coffee guy for over 20 years, and only on my 2nd Bunn pot.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:31:16 AM EDT
Mine is sort of like a Team TS. It's so stinking old they don't make it any more. It's plenty hot and the coffee is fine.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:32:22 AM EDT
Stop at McDonalds. There coffee is surprisingly OK. Any size $1.
On your way to buy a new Mr Coffee at Walmart for $15
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top