Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/23/2001 3:47:11 PM EDT
Well, I received this letter on saturday saying that I was going to receive 600.00 for my tax relief. so I go out to the mailbox today and there in the stack of junk is a letter from the IRS.
I happily walk back inside (all the while mulling over in my head my future purchases) and sit down and open the letter and pull out a check for...
66.00, THATS RIGHT !!!!! SIXTY MOTHER F@#$%IN SIX DOLLARS !!!!! SCREW YOU G.W. !!!!!!
and on the bottom of the check it says...
tax relief for americas workers
OOOOOOOOHHHHHHH YEA, I couldnt even take my family to a damn movie for that !!!!!
I havent decided yet whether or not to just keep it, or send it back and  say... HERE, KEEP IT, YOU OBVIOUSLY NEED IT WORSE THAN ME !!!!

now I have considered that it may be a error on their part, so I have been calling for over 2 hours to any IRS number I can find and they all are some recorded bullshit !!!
I've been a republican since I could vote, but independents here I come !!!!
AAAAAAHHHHHHHH I am so pissed !!!!!!!
[pissed][pissed][pissed]
[frag]
[-!-][-!-][-!-]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like an IRS error. Did the initial tax relief statement say your refund would arrive this week? Perhaps you can visit the local IRS office? Just don't bring any weapons, even if you are tempted to do so.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 3:54:53 PM EDT
[#2]
GREAT.  I'm going to get $300.00 from Unc. Sam on Sept 24.  I think this might mean 33 bucks?
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 3:56:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you owe the IRS any funds for previous year's tax returns... dunno any other reason they would cut a check for less than they quoted you.  Hope it was just a screw up (and that they'll acknowledge they messed up)

YMMV,
Steven L.
P.S.  It aint exactly G.W.'s fault....blame those turn-coats McCain and Jeffords or the real trash, Fienstien, Clinton, Schumer, Moynehan (oops he's gone thank God) etc.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 4:02:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I heard the other day that over 500,000 incorrect letters were sent out telling people that they were getting the full refund, when they weren't.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 4:03:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Wasn't there some talk about individual states being able to take a chunk out of the refund? Thought I heard something along those lines.
I know in the letter I got it said that you would be able to get a refund [b]up to[/b] $600. But then it turned out I wasn't going to get a refund after all.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry to hear of your plight.  My wife and I received a notice from the IRS a week ago saying for us to expect a $519.50 refund sometime this week, and today we received it,... all of it.  I know it will be a pain, but try and make a few phone calls to the IRS.  Good luck.

JRB L1A1
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#8]
First of all...like Independants are going to get a tax plan through congress.

Second...how the hell do you think the fuckin IRS will ever get any of this right. Let's face it, they're not used to giving money back.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I wondered about that.

Here's what the IRS says:
The amount of your payment is based on the taxable income shown on your 2000 return. The amount is 5% of your taxable income up to a maximum of $300 for a single taxpayer, $500 for head of household and $600 for a married couple filing jointly. If your tax liability after nonrefundable credits is less than these maximum amounts, your limit is the smaller of this amount or 5% of your taxable income. If you did not have a tax liability for 2000 but do have one for 2001, you may be able to claim the tax credit on your 2001 return.

The amount of your advance payment will be applied first to any Federal income tax you owe. If the amount is larger than the debt, you will get a check for the difference. If the full amount is applied to the taxes, you will not receive a check.

Your payment may be reduced because of an outstanding government debt such as certain past-due child support. If the amount is larger than the debt, you will get a check for the difference. If the full amount is applied to the debt, you will not receive a check.
View Quote

See [url]http://www.irs.gov/ind_info/apinfo/apfaq.html#Q04[/url] for full details.

Methinks this is going to backfire on G.W. when lots of the "little people" don't get the $300 to $600 windfall they've been expecting (and probably already spent).  

I foresee a one-term President, maybe.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like a real bummer for you Butkus 51. I got the letter saying I would get $600 and 2 days later I got the check for $600. Hope you can get it worked out.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:04:03 PM EDT
[#11]
http://www.cafrman.com/
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:08:05 PM EDT
[#12]
WOuld you rather have Gore??
Look if there was a mistake it was the IRS's fault not his. He isn't anything special but of the choices given to us on election day what else could be done. $66 is better than $0 by an infinite amount. I only got $2.05 and I ain't complaining its better than nothing. $66 will buy enough ammo for a nice day at the range, or a yearly membership to this site. I'm sure gore would have already raised taxes, and outlawed cars that polute the environment.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:11:13 PM EDT
[#13]
It's still a $66 dollar gift, I ain't gettin Jack shit.....Pay Pay Pay
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:18:20 PM EDT
[#14]
OK, from what I can find out over the internet and from friends, the bottom line is IM SCREWED !!!
some of you are pretty close to what I found out. according to the IRS website, about 500,000 to 1,000,000 people were sent letters stating that they were to receive 600, but they screwed up and these people are getting much less and that letters of apology are being sent out soon.[pissed][-!-]
Sooooo, here I am, the classic middle class working stiff, wife and 4 kids, no back taxes, fines, alimony, child support no nothing !!!
and my check says "tax relief for americas workers" and heres your 66 bucks.
well, I for one am gonna do everything I can to make sure ole G.W. ends up with egg all over his face for this one !!!
[flag] [%(]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:28:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Butkus 51:

Sooooo, here I am, the classic middle class working stiff, wife and 4 kids, no back taxes, fines, alimony, child support no nothing !!!
well, I for one am gonna do everything I can to make sure ole G.W. ends up with egg all over his face for this one !!!
[flag] [%(]
View Quote
You would rather have Gore?  You would have gotten zero back and our guns would really be under attack.  You are getting upset over nothing.  Calm down.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Post from Butkus 51 -
OK, from what I can find out over the internet and from friends, the bottom line is IM SCREWED !!!
some of you are pretty close to what I found out. according to the IRS website, about 500,000 to 1,000,000 people were sent letters stating that they were to receive 600, but they screwed up and these people are getting much less and that letters of apology are being sent out soon.
View Quote

You're screwed bacuse you're not getting back what the IRS letter [b]mistakenly[/b] told you that your were going to get back?

So they should go ahead and [b]overpay[/b] you with other taxpayers' money, and why is this?

And you blame the bureaucrats' mistake somehow on George W.? Why?

Yeah go ahead and vote Independent, you'll get a big tax break from them! (Whenever they get around to be voted into Congress!)

Eric The(GetAGrip)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:45:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey Butt-Kiss,

You still haven't gotten around to answering one simple question:  HOW MUCH IN TAXES ARE YOU EXPECTING TO PAY THIS YEAR?

With four kids and a wife, I'll bet your taxes are already pretty low.  If you're in the bottom tax bracket, you don't get $300, you get 5% of whatever your taxes would have been.

In other words, the IRS thinks you're going to be paying about $200 (well, it WAS $200, now it'll be $133) in taxes in 2001.  Is this accurate?

If not, the IRS screwed up, and you'll be able to get your tax "refund" next year along with the rest of your overpayments.

If it IS accurate, though, then you're just another welfare-beggin' turd who is bitching that even though he doesn't have to pay income taxes, he wants his $600.  There are a lot of people out there like that.

If you're not one of them, apologies.  If you are, then too damn bad. [moon]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#18]
WHOOOAAA, Hold on, I dont want anything that isnt mine. My big gripe is the irony of all this, how G.W. gets up and spouts off about how this is going to benefit the working families, of which I am definetly a member, and I get a check for 66 bucks with a note at the bottom saying"tax relief for americas workers" well WHOOPIE FRICKIN DOO !!!!
All this tax relief stuff is bullshit.
I guess I may be bitchin too much, but I feel like I saw santa put out a stack of presents and in the morning they are all gone except for a bag of gym socks.(yea, socks are usefull, ie 66 bucks, but it sure aint the GI Joe with the kung fu grip that I was promised )
[x][x]
BTW, they are all politicians, which means that they are dishonest and only out for themselves, be they republicans, democrats or whoever !!
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 7:00:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I agree with Larry, Eric, and 71.
If you are not happy with the $66.oo, send it back.

If it were me, I'd be pretty pissed too but it'll buy more stuff than nothing at all.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 7:05:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Post from Butkus 51 -
some of you are pretty close to what I found out. according to the IRS website, about 500,000 to 1,000,000 people were sent letters stating that they were to receive 600, but they screwed up and these people are getting much less and that letters of apology are being sent out soon.
View Quote

You're screwed bacuse you're not getting back what the IRS letter [b]mistakenly[/b] told you that your were going to get back?

So they should go ahead and [b]overpay[/b] you with other taxpayers' money, and why is this?

And you blame the bureaucrats' mistake somehow on George W.? Why?

Yeah go ahead and vote Independent, you'll get a big tax break from them! (Whenever they get around to be voted into Congress!)
TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We shouldn't be getting back shit because we shouldn't have to pay 1 rotten fuckin penny!
this all to fund their aggenda andpolice the world for the un oh yes and to pay themselves $100,000.00 a year,and their cars(gas hoggingcars)if we all stopped paying taxes then they would seriously realize that it will have to stop soon.screw the social programs,those people aren't grateful  for the working man giving them money,they EXPECT MORE![-!-!-!]
Eric The(GetAGrip)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 7:06:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Well Mr. 7-11 achmed, My main point isnt that Im getting screwed (my bad choice of words) but that this is yet another feel good bullshit ploy to keep the sheeple voting for you and nothing more. Our tax system sucks and GW aint doin nothin about anymore than any other politico.
well I guess Ill just quit my job and take my welfare-beggin turd ass on down to the Gubmint office to get some more of your money.thanks to you and others who have shown me the error of my ways.
next time Ill just shut up and take it like all the other turds, and just let them get away with whatever they want.
I aspire to be like you guys, so wise and in touch with yourselves.
now if you will excuse me im gonna let the gubmint have at me some more[sex]

Link Posted: 7/23/2001 7:22:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't get anything back, but I'm O.K. with it. At least we don't have Al Bore.
BTW: I'll take your check for 66.00 if'n ya don't want it!! [:D]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:00:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I received a letter last Thursday from the IRS saying that I would get a refund of $600.00 the week of July 23. On Saturday my check for $600.00 arrived!
I look at it this way, the more that you paid in the more you get back up to the max. If you get something back even if it is $1.00, it is more than you would have received back from Gore. If you didn't get the max and your pissed, maybe you should have worked more so that the government could have taken more of your money and your tax relief would have been bigger when they give you back your own money!
As far as being mad a Bush, I think that it is misplaced anger. I know I would vote for him again if the election were coming soon.
I thought that all of us were mad at the people that voted for Clinton just because of the economy and not for the job ( or lack of) he was doing, and now are going to not vote for Bush for an economic reason and not the good job he is doing. Is this what Butkus is saying or did I just misunderstand?
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:08:07 PM EDT
[#25]
NO NO NO NO NO NO! Don't vote independent!!!!!!

VOTE LIBERTARIAN AND YOU WON'T HAVE TO PAY THE IRS!!!!!!!!!

THERE WILL BE NO IRS WHEN WE'RE THROUGH.

themao [chainsawkill]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:10:11 PM EDT
[#26]
My Grandfather used to tell me that there was a saying back around the time of the New Deal, that [b]'once the Treasury doors are opened, only blood will close them again.'[/b]

Some people see government as some sort of great leveling device for American Society.

It's the reason we all voted for the Income Tax Amendment back in 1913.

Only the wealthy were going to be affected by the Income Tax, it would never be collected from you and me.

Eric The(GuessTheyWereWrong,RealWrong)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:18:49 PM EDT
[#27]
well, I know when I'm licked, so I will take my 66 bucks(which was mine in the first place) and crawl back under my rock untill the next time I have the extreme pleasure of voting for GW.
You guys have shown me the error of my ways, I now understand how misguided I was.
please accept my apologies for offending the holier than thou masses, I will now fall back into lock step with the rest of the sheeple, right behind our feerless leader GW.
[BD]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:58:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Hang in there Butkus 51;

It takes a bigger man to admit an error..

I like your energy .. Now we just need to direct it towards low life Anti's in the senate.

Together we stand, devided we fall!
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:08:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Butkus,
You're totally wrong about who is getting the short end of the stick.  You get a $66 dollar tax refund, that is the full 5% of whatever number they use for making the calculation.  Those people on the board that said they got a $600 rebate, they got less than the full 5% rebate, in some cases they got a lot less than 5%.  So in absolute dollars, they might have gotten more, but as a percent of their tax bill, it was a lot less.  Not only do they have to pay alot more taxes than you, they have to pay a significantly higher fraction of their income in taxes.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:20:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Well...........we got our $600 today and that was a fairly nice little surprise (too bad it's already spent).

Tax releif?  Give me a frickin' break here!

Yes we are fortuante to have a very good income but we get reamed every stinkin year.  Last year, because of gains in some investments for my step-kid we even had to file a return for him.  He is 7.

Link Posted: 7/23/2001 10:14:21 PM EDT
[#31]
No flame intended...
If you didn't earn enough to qualify for the max refund, why the complaining ???

Guess what...
I've also got a wife and 4 kids.
I got a notice a week ago.
I got my $600 today.  

Go get yourself a better paying job...
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 10:16:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Where the hell did the 5% calculation come in????
I won't even be getting enough money back to buy a pizza now!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 12:15:21 AM EDT
[#33]
$66 will get you 4 of Ronin45's 30rd thermold magazines.
$66 will buy 8 0r 9 boxes of 9mm practice ammo.
$66 will not be spent on gun buybacks, given to illegals who no-speaky-english, look for Chandra Levy's corpse, secret service protection for former Presidents, or close off a river to protect the Spotted Tallywhacker.
Invest wisely.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 2:24:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Butkus, you are right. Show GW!!!
Vote Democrat and get you can give that $66 back to the Feds, pay alot more taxes and turn in your guns or have your wife, baby and dogs shot....
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 2:37:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Well Mr. 7-11 achmed, My main point isnt that Im getting screwed (my bad choice of words) but that this is yet another feel good bullshit ploy to keep the sheeple voting for you and nothing more. Our tax system sucks and GW aint doin nothin about anymore than any other politico.
View Quote

Hey dude, guess what:  Bush got a tax cut forced through despite significant opposition from both the opposition AND his own party.  Might not be perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than anything anyone else has done for us since the mid-1980's.  I don't like Bush, but he's at least a small step in the right direction.

I agree the tax system sucks, all the more so because unlike your piddly-ass $200 annual tax bill, I paid somewhere over $10,000 in taxes last year.  Personally, I think I should have paid the same amount as each member of your household, since each of us is getting the same services (actually, your kids are sucking up a lot more services due to the publick skewls I bet they attend -- unless you homeschool, in which case my abject apologies).  FLAT TAX NOW!
well I guess Ill just quit my job and take my welfare-beggin turd ass on down to the Gubmint office to get some more of your money.
View Quote

Why?  You already did.  Doesn't look to me like you're paying a damn thing (oh, ok, you paid enough to buy a case of ammo, wow), yet you expect to get more back than you paid in.  Welcome to the welfare state, dude -- go vote Democrat so you can keep sticking it to us rich f*ckers who are supporting you.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 2:57:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Can't blame this on W. since it was the Demos that gutted his tax relief plan. Did you think anything the Demos OK'd wouldn't suck. I'm single, I'm getting a whoppin $60.00 back. I'll probably just buy some ammo with it to piss off the liberals. Guess what, the media didn't mention a word about the refund being based on a percentage of your income did they? As a matter of fact, seems they all wanted us to think we be getting the full refund back didn't they. Man, the Republicans got snookered by the liberal media and Demos again. I bet most people are gonna be pissed at Bush just like you, which is exactly what the Liberals want, Played again.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 3:16:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Can't blame this on W. since it was the Demos that gutted his tax relief plan. Did you think anything the Demos OK'd wouldn't suck. I'm single, I'm getting a whoppin $60.00 back. I'll probably just buy some ammo with it to piss off the liberals. Guess what, the media didn't mention a word about the refund being based on a percentage of your income did they? As a matter of fact, seems they all wanted us to think we be getting the full refund back didn't they. Man, the Republicans got snookered by the liberal media and Demos again. I bet most people are gonna be pissed at Bush just like you, which is exactly what the Liberals want, Played again.
View Quote

Correct,  Bush wanted a much bigger tax cut but Congress slashed it down to what we have right now.  I still haven't received any letter on what I'm getting back or when.  I just know is a long time from now thanks to my SSN.

Link Posted: 7/24/2001 4:25:50 AM EDT
[#38]
I find this topic of great concern.  It does seem that the media is showing its bias towards the democrates, especially the stories of how this tax-refund will not affect X percentage of the population.

Never in any of the stories did I see that the X percentage that was quoted did not pay taxes, and the are many who did not pay taxes and still received money from the government (EIC).  It also seems that these are the people who are complaining the most.

I am very happy with the tax break.  My net pay has gone up about $50 a pay period, which translates to about 900 rounds of SA surplus .233 a month.  So I do want to thank GW.  Additionally, I am supposed to get the full $300 back, but I do not expect to, since I am still paying a tax bill from 2000.

I really wish that individuals would educate themselves, and see what total effect that this tax break gives them.   At the very least, I have an addition $1200 after tax coming in this year, and whatever refund is deducted from my tax bill.   It is nice to know that GW's tax program is enabling me to keep my AR supplied with ammo that it does not have a problem with.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:06:49 AM EDT
[#39]
do you people read these posts, or do you see my name and skim over it? i wrote 4 F'in times that the IRS sent 500,000 letters in error! that the #'s in the letters will not match the actual check amount...sheesh! what more do you want? also, GWB has nothing to do with the printing proceedures of the IRS - that is an IRS problem...GWB came up with the plan, and we all regailed him with praise, and told stories about what rifles or ammo we were gonna buy. BUT NO, i only got $66.00! well, maybe some lowered expectations should be in your future! nobody promised you a wind-fall!
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:22:49 AM EDT
[#40]
You have to pay taxes to get the money back.  If your taxable income was  $15,000 you are not middle class. You have more kids than you need and most likely live in a trailer or public housing. You get some public assistance and mostlikely don't vote anyway. You are a drain on those of us that work.
GW is tring to help those of us that make this country what it is....workers. He is doing better than anyone else! you can't turn a 180 with this country overnight or a week.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:24:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:24:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Butkus,
1.  It ain't GWB's fault that you only got $66.00.
2.  It ain't the Republican's fault either.
3.  Under the law, unless you did not pay your taxes and the feds know about it, you will get either $300 or $600, based on your income and your overall tax liability.
4.  Unless you fudged your tax numbers and the IRS found you out, you should have received one of the above.  Otherwise, the IRS has made a mistake...(Like that never happens, right?) and you should pursue it.  Be patient, there are probably a bunch of pissed off taxpayers out there about now...and the number will go up with each check delivery cycle.
Consider this...what if the Democrats had won?  Think for a second any of us would be receiving one red cent?
You will eventually get what you are due.  Keep your cool and don't threaten Dubya.  When you do that...even in jest...guys in black suits driving big black Suburbans show up at your door and want to talk to you.  You don't want that.
Go to the range and bust a bunch of caps...you'll feel better.
Aim small...hit small
[grenade]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:32:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It's still a $66 dollar gift, I ain't gettin Jack shit.....Pay Pay Pay
View Quote

When the IRS sends you your $66, ITS NOT A GIFT. They are simply giving you back SOME OF YOUR OWN MONEY.

"PAY PAY PAY"  

AHHHH!, now you are starting to understand the true meaning of 'TAX AND SPEND'. Perhaps (SIGH) some day everyone will understand that when the Government taxes you, then provides 'benefits' to its citizens all they are really doing is deciding how to spend YOUR MONEY for you.

Don't get me wrong, taxes are necessary but limits need to be placed on taxes.....
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:41:26 AM EDT
[#44]
well, I know when I'm licked, so I will take my 66 bucks(which was mine in the first place) and crawl back under my rock untill the next time I have the extreme pleasure of voting for GW.
You guys have shown me the error of my ways, I now understand how misguided I was.
please accept my apologies for offending the holier than thou masses, I will now fall back into lock step with the rest of the sheeple, right behind our feerless leader GW.
[BD]
View Quote

Butkus, don't forget that, during the last Presidential election, when candidate Bush first suggested a tax reduction, Al Gore's gut reaction was it 'wouldn't be responsible' to cut taxes. THATS WHEN GORE SHOWED HIS TRUE COLORS.

Now the Dems are trying to take part of the credit for the tax reduction not that its the law.

I understand your fustration, just don't loose sight of the big picture.

Republicans generally stand for free enterprise and limiting the size of the Federal Government.

Democrats generally stand for an ever larger Federal Government and 'helping the little guy', which involves redistribution of wealth by the Federal Government thu taxation.

I'll let you decide for yourself which form of Government you prefer.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 6:06:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Butkus51,
Dig out your tax return--it's only been 3 mos. so it shouldn't be buried yet (if you file like I do!).  Look at the line "adjusted gross income."  Take this number and multiply by .05--this is the max. you can receive, up to $600.  With four kids you have to make pretty good money to pay taxes on $30,000--the amount of taxable income needed to receive the max. refund.  If your taxable income is less than $30,000, then you are only being screwed to the extent you were incorrectly notified of the amount.  You can't get a refund for taxes not paid.  As others have stated, that would be like the EITC (Earned Income Tax Credit)--welfare.  If you lurk here, I'm sure you don't want that.  [:D]  Best wishes!
View Quote

I'm a little confused.  When did they say it was 5%?  I thought it was a flat across the board refund.  Also, using your formula of (taxable income) * .05, $12,000 is the minimum to get $600.  $30,000 * .05 = $1500.  Am I wrong?
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 6:45:51 AM EDT
[#46]
All those IRS letters cost $22M.  I really didn't need one and would prefer just a check in the mail for some amount.  I suppose many others would like these letters informing them of the expected return.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 7:28:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Chris

I believe that it is 5% upto a maximum of $300.00 for singles or $600 for joint.  Something like that.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 7:31:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Garand Shooter:
Tax relief? ROTFLMAO!
Just a carrot hanging in front of the horse... yep

Look into the details of this thing and you will see how much BS is really there, and how little you really get.

Many of the cuts are phased in over the next 10 years, some this year, some the next, so forth and so on. However, juts like the AW ban, it sunsets in 10 years.... wtf why would you make a tax cut temporary if you were really concerned about the taxpayers? The estate (death) tax goes away in 9 years, but that law sunsets in 10, so if you want to give leave any money to you kids you had better kill yourself in 9 years, but don't wait 10!

Most of the "cuts" will be with us 5 years or less.

IMHO all we have is a bunch of eye candy that might cut things for a short while, but BY DESIGN is not permanent. The checks going out to everyone are a great political tool, but little else.
View Quote

Well, after all the pissin and moanin, I guess what I really feel is what garand shooter said above. In the begining, I was just pissed and venting(probably at the wrong source) but hey who thinks straight when they are pissed. I had spent that dough 10 times,  on 10 different guns all going through my head over the weekend.
I never really expected to get anything and was surprised to get the letter(kinda like publisher clearing house)saying YOU HAVE JUST WON 600 kinda feeling.
To those of you who feel I may be a drain on society, screw you !!! I do have a wonderful wife and 4 great kids, all of which I work very hard to support and to say I am a drain because they go to public school or use a public park or whatever, is not my fault. I would gladly send all of them to private school if for no other reason than the get the best possible education. I take nothing from da gubmint except what da gubmint makes me take.
So, it wasnt my intentions to start a tax war here, and I probably would never have posted this, but when I saw that statement at the bottom of the check"tax relief for americas workers" I blew a nut(as my son would say).
My only point is its our damn money to start with, and I want to keep as much of it as possible, thats all.
[x]
BTW, to achmed, You sound like one of those single yuppie types who make alot and resent those of us who have families or children cuz we play by the rules that da gubmint set up. So dont bitch at me about it blame the gubmint. I would rather keep my money, and take care of things by myself, but they wont let me.[:D]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 7:36:51 AM EDT
[#49]
If anybody on this forum is interested in paying a bit more in taxes, here is your Democratic solution..
[url]www.washtimes.com/national/20010724-98885729.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 7:59:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Jim Beam:
Chris

I believe that it is 5% upto a maximum of $300.00 for singles or $600 for joint.  Something like that.
View Quote

Right.  Just that Beekeeper had said that $30,000 taxable income was required to get $600 back.  But if it's 5% up to a maximum of $600 for couples, the minimum taxable income to be eligible for the full amount would be $12,000 rather than $30,000.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top