Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/27/2002 10:40:39 AM EDT
I'm moving to Raleigh/Durham soon so I was just reading over the NC gun laws...

The suns O bitches want $80.00 for a CCW application plus $10.00 LE fee, plus its only good for 4 freakin' years!!! Renewal fee is $75.00~!!!! AND they want me to take a saftey course! Shit, I've got CCW's from 3 other states and never paid more than $40 bucks for FIVE years! And never had to take any stupid course. 10 years in the Army and 2 Years as an RO at public ranges was always enough.

PLUS if I want to purchase multiple handguns I need to "convince" the sheriff that I need to own more than one handgun! And I quote:

""A permit is valid for the purchase of only one handgun. To obtain another handgun, an applicant must procure another permit and must convince the issuing authority that he needs more than one handgun. The permit is $5.00 payable upon issuance of the license by the sheriff. ""

Me thinks NC is NOT a very gun friendly place and I'm not looking forward to living there.
Anyone else feel the same?
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 10:42:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Better than Maryland, brother.

At least you CAN get a CCW.

They tease you and let you apply, but all you do is pay $180 to just be denied.  Non-refundable.

Unless you are a cop, well connected politically, or have a business with lot's of cash involved, it's impossible.

You have to have at LEAST 3 verified, credible threats on your life for them to consider a permit, and then it will be a very restricted permit.

(hmm,,,, I threaten my buddy, he threatens me......)
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 10:47:23 AM EDT
[#2]
You can always move to Manhattan[grenade]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 10:49:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm moving to Raleigh/Durham soon so I was just reading over the NC gun laws...
View Quote

Hey, that's where I am.  Look me up when you get here, I always need more shooting buddies.

Me thinks NC is NOT a very gun friendly place and I'm not looking forward to living there.
View Quote

It's not the most gun friendly state, but it's not the least either.  One thing I really don't like though is after you have your CCW permit, you still can't carry in these locations:

a) Any law enforcement or correctional facility;

b) Any space occupied by state or federal employees;

c) A financial institution;

d) Any premises where the carrying of a concealed handgun is prohibited by the

posting of a statement by the controller of the premises;

e) Educational property;

f) Areas of assemblies, parades, funerals, or demonstrations;

g) Places where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed;

h) State occupied property;

I) Any state or federal courthouse;

j) In any area prohibited by federal law;

k) Any local government building if the local government had adopted an ordinance

and posted signs prohibiting the carrying of concealed weapons.

Taken from here:

[url]http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/firearms.htm#carrying[/url]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 10:52:27 AM EDT
[#4]

It's not the most gun friendly state, but it's not the least either.  One thing I really don't like though is after you have your CCW permit, you still can't carry in these locations:

--->> You mean I can't carry when I go into the bank?
Does the law state that the bank has to protect me from getting robbed on the way to my car?
It almost sounds like negligence on there part if I did get robbed...

Link Posted: 2/27/2002 10:54:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 10:57:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's right.  Not even supposed to have a gun on the bank property (i.e. at the ATM).  And it's not just banks, that's ANY financial institution.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 11:00:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Move to Western North Carolina. Raleigh is a Liberal area.

Taxes are high throughout NC. But, Anti-Gun they are not. As I understand it, getting a permit is extremely easy except in Ultra-Liberal areas.

As far as fees, NC makes its budget on taxes and fees. I believe Raleigh may have registration.

I used to have a place in the Mountains (Haywood County) and could own anything I wanted. The Police almost never came up. They would only come if they were called and had a good reason. It was more than a mile from the base to the top (where our place was) of the mountain. You couldn't go over 5 mph so it took like 20 minutes to make it up the mountain. You can usually also see and hear any vehicle coming up long enough before they reach you.

Fireworks in NC were limited to Fountains and other useless crap several years ago. But, I have always been able to get the good stuff in TN and bring it up the mountain for the 4th of July. You can shoot anything off you wish and the Police never show up. Hell, I've heard them shoot guns off up in there and it never illicited a response.

NC is sort of a borderline state. They have some ridiculous laws, but they aren't too hard to get around. I understand MGs are technically only allowed for specific reasons. But, from what others have said all you have to do is give a listed reason on the form and you can get a MG.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

a) Any law enforcement or correctional facility;
b) Any space occupied by state or federal employees;
d) Any premises where the carrying of a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a statement by the controller of the premises;
e) Educational property;
f) Areas of assemblies, parades, funerals, or demonstrations;
g) Places where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed;
h) State occupied property;
I) Any state or federal courthouse;
j) In any area prohibited by federal law;
k) Any local government building if the local government had adopted an ordinance and posted signs prohibiting the carrying of concealed weapons.

Taken from here:

[url]http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/firearms.htm#carrying[/url]
View Quote

Sheeesh! Just cut to the chase... "CCW are permitted in all places EXCEPT those where you might actually need it!

Link Posted: 2/27/2002 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

That's right.  Not even supposed to have a gun on the bank property (i.e. at the ATM).  And it's not just banks, that's ANY financial institution.
View Quote

----> I'm going to be breaking alot of gun laws in NC. Its sad to say but its true. If I go to the ATM I AM GOING TO CARRY regardless of the law.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 11:05:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Whoa, does that not where 'alcohol' is sold or consumed also mean in a restaurant, where alcoholic drinks are served?

Texas amended its CCW laws a few years back to permit CCW carry in churches, mosques and synagogues, unless it was posted otherwise!

Banks and other financial institutions are OK, as well, unless posted (and none of them are to my knowledge)

Better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6.

Eric The(GoneToTexas)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 11:07:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Whoa, does that not where 'alcohol' is sold or consumed also mean in a restaurant, where alcoholic drinks are served?

Texas amended its CCW laws a few years back to permit CCW carry in churches, mosques and synagogues, unless it was posted otherwise!

Banks and other financial institutions are OK, as well, unless posted (and none of them are to my knowledge)

View Quote

---> I'm with The Hun! I'll take my chances...
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 11:12:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
its only good for 4 freakin' years!!!

View Quote

I'll bet the reason for the 4 year limit has to do with the feds as much as anything.  If they do a background checkfor the license, and follow all the federal rules properly, then the license allows you to purchase a firearm without running each purchase through the federal system.  For this to be legal, the background check MUST have been conducted LESS than 5 years before.

All in all, other than the per gun thing it's not a LOT different than Texas.

Now some of the limits on WHERE are pretty goofy, I'll admit.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 11:12:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Excuse me while i go out and kiss some good Montana dirt.......... Bluemax
what the hell is a permit????
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 11:13:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Does the law state that the bank has to protect me from getting robbed on the way to my car?
It almost sounds like negligence on there part if I did get robbed...

View Quote

Vortex,

You can not carry into a bank here in Virginia. And most of those NC laws on CC, are almost the exact same as Va.

We are trying to repeal the resturant ban. Where we can CC into resturant that serve alcohol. Since at the moment we can not. Which means I can't take my wife to Red lobster for a 60.00 dollar dinner. And carry because they serve alcohol.

-Kc
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 11:19:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 11:21:48 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Me thinks that you're a bit of a reactionary. Chapel Hill upon you! [:D]

All kidding aside NC is Verrrry gun friendly.
Got this little place called Ft Bragg where a few guys are known to have shot a few rounds. you'll love it here.

I'm a transplanted Yankee and this is as far north as I go.  Give NYS a try if you want a look a George Orwell in action.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 11:21:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

My bank put up the usual non-standard (No Guns Allowed!) signs a while back, and I ignored them until I made the switch to a more friendly institution.  

I do like the precise sign definition used in Texas. The doofuses fail to notify you in correct form, so they can't hose you legally, but you can tell who ain't your friend.  Not QUITE as good as the scarlet letter, but not bad. In fact, the only place I see the precisely correct signs is the TX DPS office. This I find rather irritating, but there it is.

The other neat feature is that the state pre-empted local silliness with local laws.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 11:25:45 AM EDT
[#18]

Vortex,

You can not carry into a bank here in Virginia. And most of those NC laws on CC, are almost the exact same as Va.

We are trying to repeal the resturant ban. Where we can CC into resturant that serve alcohol. Since at the moment we can not. Which means I can't take my wife to Red lobster for a 60.00 dollar dinner. And carry because they serve alcohol.

-Kc
[/quote]

---> I've pasted below what NRA website says. No mention of banks. Where did you get the "no carry in banks" info?

"In a city with a population of 160,000 or more or in any county having an urban county executive form of government or any county or city surrounded thereby or adjacent thereto or in any county having a county manager form of government it is unlawful to carry on or about the person on any public road, alley, right-of-way, park, or any place of whatever nature that is open to the public a loaded semi-automatic rifle or pistol equipped with a magazine which will hold more than twenty rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or shotgun with a magazine which will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered.

It is unlawful to carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club for which a license to sell or serve alcoholic beverages on premises has been granted by the Alcohol Beverage Control Board."

Link Posted: 2/27/2002 11:26:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

We get to pay $180 to just be denied.  Non-refundable.
View Quote

Better than Missouri, brother.

At least you CAN apply to get a CCW.

We can't even pay $180 dollars to be denied.  Well I suppose we can pay SOMEONE $180 dollars, but it wouldn't do much good.  Stupid St. Louis people...

Edited to add:
Kind of sounds like grizzled old men competing with stories of the 'bad old days'.  "Back in my day, we had shoes made of broken glass, and we were the LUCKY ones!"

Viper Out
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 11:38:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Vortex,

You learn something everyday. Somewhere somehow I thought I had read you could not carry into a financial institution. After looking at several sources it appears I am wrong.

Here is the list of "no no" places in VA.

No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for whicha license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic BeverageControl Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia, nothing herein shall prohibit any owner or event sponsor or his employeesfrom carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit
Private property when prohibited by the owner of the property, or where posted as prohibited
Carrying dangerous weapon to place of religious worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held.
Courthouse.
School property/school functions
State parks (4VAC5-30-200)
Virginia Commonwealth University (8VAC90-10-50)

-Kc
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 11:38:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We get to pay $180 to just be denied.  Non-refundable.
View Quote

Better than Missouri, brother.

At least you CAN apply to get a CCW.

We can't even pay $180 dollars to be denied.  Well I suppose we can pay SOMEONE $180 dollars, but it wouldn't do much good.  Stupid St. Louis people...

Viper Out
View Quote

Hold on there, bud!  We CAN'T get one.  Yes, there is a legal process and a supposed ability to get one, but unless you are a cop, politically connected, or have a business involving lot's of cash, it's impossible.

Missouri is MUCH BETTER.  You can open carry!  Forget the CCW, just strap an iron to yer side.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 11:45:59 AM EDT
[#23]
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA..I love Indiana..

$25 for 4 years..

only place it isn't valid is on commercial aircraft.
(Yeah, I know about the federal property bullshit)

Bars, OK..restaurants, OK...schools, OK as long as you're picking up/dropping off...Parks, OK...private businesses, OK...all they can do is ask you to leave.  

LOL
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me thinks that you're a bit of a reactionary. Chapel Hill upon you! [:D]

All kidding aside NC is Verrrry gun friendly.
Got this little place called Ft Bragg where a few guys are known to have shot a few rounds. you'll love it here.

I'm a transplanted Yankee and this is as far north as I go.  Give NYS a try if you want a look a George Orwell in action.
View Quote

pdm,
 Chapel Hill? I don't think Chapel Hill is ready for me ;-)
I'll be living in Sanford. Carolina Trace country club to be exact. My fiance got a job at Duke and I'm playing tag along.
We looked at places closer to Duke but I didn't feel good about any of them. Carolina Trace is a gated community and the guard is armed.
I feel OK leaving her alone as long as the dog is there and she has a cell phone. Plus she knows how to use the GP-100 that is always close at hand.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 11:55:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Before all was said and done, I had about $250 into my NC CCW permit.

I was fortunate to live in WNC, as I hear Mecklenberg County you might as well ask teh gov't to not charge you any more taxes as request a CCW permit.

Six months later I moved, and you guessed it. SC could care less about my NC concealaed carry permit.

Here in SC, I'll have about $125  into it.

Of course, i got my NC permit in half the time in NC as I will in SC.

Reminds me of the time I helped a client of mine incorporate.

RIGHT ON THE FORM it stated:

FEES:

Standard processing: $1,000

Expedited processing: Add $250 to standard fee.

Nothing like having a bribe for faster processing built right into the form for incorporation.

Link Posted: 2/27/2002 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Post from Garand_Shooter -
Yup, the only way you can carry there is either take your chances or be a cop......of course if your in the privledged class for CCW (law enforcement) none of those rules apply.
View Quote

Lord, haven't those legislators in North Carolina ever watched the movie 'Pulp Fiction'?

I've always felt at my most vunerable in late night scenes in restaurants with bars!

Just like the scene in Pulp Fiction, the perp says you got families with money, an assistant manager who doesn't want to be a dead would-be hero, it's the perfect place for an armed robbery!

Hell, it was that pinhead fellow who drove his pickup truck into a Luby's in Kileen, Texas, that started the ball rolling for CCW in Texas!

Course, that was in broad daylight, and no Luby's I know of sells liquor, but the principle is still the same!

You should be able to carry a CCW amywhere, unless there's a damn good reason that you shouldn't!

Eric The(ThankYouThen-GovGeorgeW.Bush!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 12:06:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 12:11:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Wish we had such "problems" in Illinois.[v]

Though the $5.00/approval for handguns does kinda stink.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 12:13:13 PM EDT
[#29]
This place is falling victim to its own popularity.  I can't stand it around here anymore and am thinking of moving to a different state.  NC is becoming the New Jersey of the south.  The gun laws are only one of the many problems.  What I particularly despise is the "progressive" vehicle tax.  If you do move here, you are best advised to maintain a legal address in another state where you have your driver's license and vehicle registrations.  That way, you can avoid the draconian tax on your car/motorcycle/boat/etc.  It's outrageous, totally outrageous.  Taxation without representation or even clear and cogent justification.

Yesterday I was out jogging and I come across this state-owned vehicle parked with a big fat dude sitting behind the wheel.  I asked him what he was doing and he tells me (very defensively) that he is doing a traffic survey for the state.  I said it must be pretty hard to count cars in your sleep!  The state is facing a huge budget crisis (or so we're made to believe) yet they have the money to hire this no-load asshole and send him out to take naps on various dead end streets.  

Fuck North Carolina.  It's a brain dead place to live.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 12:17:44 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm sick and tired of people complaining about Maryland.  This is a great gun state!  We are trusted with the privaledge of 20 round magazines!  

We did ruin our chance to own assault pistols...but hey, who needs 'em anyway?

[i]sarcasm off[/i]:  Steelviper, what are you saying?!?  MO is 100x better than MD.  Do you need a safety course to buy handguns and SURs?  Do you have any magazine restrictions?  Do you have bans on whole classes of firearms?  You have open carry!  Be happy, it could be worse.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 12:23:14 PM EDT
[#31]
But speaking of gun laws, each county is different when it comes to handgun permits.  Mine only allows two at a time and they treat you like "why do you need more than one?" every time I go there.  I got in a big argument with the sheriff over the fact that you must have three letters from people who know you and they must be notarized.  But each county is different--Wake lets you get five a time and only requires one witness who has to come in person.  

Class III?  You might as well forget it unless you are a dealer or have lots of $$$ or are buddy buddy with the sheriff.  

The CCW is a total joke. There are so many restrictions that it might as well not exist.  I refuse to get one because they treat you like such a crook (fingerprints, safety course, etc.).  Forget it--every place I go is on the restricted list anyways.  If I need to carry, I'll just take my chances.

Carolina Trace?  Why a gated community with an armed guard?  What the heck are you afraid of?  
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#32]

The CCW is a total joke. There are so many restrictions that it might as well not exist.  I refuse to get one because they treat you like such a crook (fingerprints, safety course, etc.).  Forget it--every place I go is on the restricted list anyways.  If I need to carry, I'll just take my chances.

Carolina Trace?  Why a gated community with an armed guard?  What the heck are you afraid of?  [/quote]

----> Trickshot,
 If you have to ask, I can't explain it to you. Peace of mind is the most valuable thing a man can have.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#33]
The permits were once used to keep blacks and other undesireables from getting pistols.

Kinda ironic that the NAACP and the Brady Camp think they are such great ideas.
Liberals are sooooo stupid.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 2:16:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Reminds me of the time I helped a client of mine incorporate.

RIGHT ON THE FORM it stated:

FEES:

Standard processing: $1,000

Expedited processing: Add $250 to standard fee.

Nothing like having a bribe for faster processing built right into the form for incorporation.

View Quote

Hahaha. I incorporated a few years ago and delivered the articles of incorporation by hand.  When I went into the SotS office, the first sign I saw said the same thing, but they had one more level: next day processing.  That cost significantly more.  I thought that was funny too.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 4:12:59 PM EDT
[#35]
What is wrong with the safety class ? It is my understanding that very few states don't require a class. Here in Florida it is required.

But, the class only shows that you have the $35 to pay for it. Come on, 1 f'ing round. Geez, if it was really a safety class they'd make them empty a full 10 round magazine.

I had to take a class to get my hunting lisence because I was born after 1970 whatever. It was a simple 2 day course. The 1st day, they covered what species were legal to hunt, etc...They showed off some cool KBed shotguns, etc...The 2nd day, you take a written test about hunting rules. I got 100%. Then, you go out on the range and fire a .22 Bolt-Action Rifle, a shotgun, etc...The course cost a few bucks because I took through Seminole Community College. Normally, I understand it is free.

As for NC, it is a beautiful state. I never had a problem going there. Since, the cabin was not a primary residence, we didn't have to deal with most of the tax crap. I could bring guns into the state if I wanted with no problem. I also understand NC is an Open Carry State. But, I never tried it. Damn, I miss that cabin and it even had a natural berm behind the back porch.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

---> I'm with The Hun! I'll take my chances...
View Quote

What?!?!  But that would be Wrong!  Are you guys going to pay the legal fees of any misguided souls who might take your illegal advice?!?!?! [rolleyes]  Baaaaaaaaaa!

(Just repeating the same crap that people gave me when I advocated carrying despite "laws" to the contrary. . . .)
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 7:47:17 PM EDT
[#37]
What is wrong with the safety class is that it is mandatory.  They assume because I am a lowly civilian, that I know nothing about firearms or the law.  They are wrong, yet that doesn't stop them from forcing me to spend an entire 8 hours (basically a whole day) sitting in a bullshit class with a bunch of yutzes who don't know anything about guns or shooting.  I've been shooting guns since I was 5 years old, I think I can handle the grave responsibility.  The one thing I can't stand is being automatically treated like just another know-nothing idiot.  

I do like the fact that you have to prove proficiency, but then again, I am not really that worried about my fellow citizens being lousy shots, I don't feel it puts me in that much jeopardy and I don't feel that one 8 hour course is going to change that to any degree.  Plus, it costs money for me to hear what I already know.

Anything mandatory is bad, I guess.  That's just how I see it.  Plus, it isn't mandatory for cops and they're trying hard to make it optional for military people as well.  

I'm just a 3rd class citizen, and I'm tired of it and cranky.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 8:10:56 PM EDT
[#38]
NC is open carry, s oyou don't NEED a CCW.
Down here in Craven County, the permits are good for 5 years, but you can only have 3 in your possession at a time.
This last gunshow is the first time I didn't get any permits.
The Sherriff goes to the gunshow and does a them ALL DAY. ou should have seen the lines at teh show after 9/11!! Outrageous!! Over a 2 hour wait!!
But he is a great guy, and doesn't require CO letters for military guys at the shows, only if you go to the office. And even HE will tell you to get all 3 permits at once, so you don't have to pay for another BG check.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 8:35:54 PM EDT
[#39]
I own a bunch of rifles.  I possess none, how is this possible?  

Because I live in Manhatten and can't possess any of them without fear of many bad things happening to me.  I miss my children, I only get visitation rights every other weekend when I visit my parents on Long Island.  Damn this infernal city's laws!
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 9:12:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Actually, that gives me some hope--Craven County, where is that?  I think it is very much to do with what county you live in.  I live just north of Chatham, unfortunately.  The problem is the area--too close to Durham and Raleigh.  But the other problem is that one or two cities can ruin it for a whole state.  That's what I found out living in NY.

Sorry I'm so negative, I really do like this state, but it upsets me when politicians do things just to do them, you know?

The good news is this:  
Grass Roots North Carolina
Citizens for a Sound Economy

Link Posted: 2/27/2002 9:20:37 PM EDT
[#41]
One other thought (I keep coming up with more things):

If I were to carry open around here, I'm quite certain I'd be arrested.  It's calling "Going armed to the terror of the public."  It's a felony, I believe.

Open carry is more dangerous than carrying concealed "illegally."
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 9:51:01 PM EDT
[#42]
garandman wrote:
Of course, i got my NC permit in half the time in NC as I will in SC.
View Quote

Half the time it [i]will[/i] take?  garandman, you're an optimist.  It's been about 11 months since I first sent in my application.  You have to remember that we now have a very anti-gun Demo-rat governor.  SLED doesn't do their job as often as they used to when we had a Republican at the top.  As long as the crook Robert Stewart is head of SLED and we have an anti-gun governor, I'm not very optimistic that things will ever change for the better.  Stewart has publicly stated that he believes all crimes (maybe even parking tickets and for writing a bad check, like they use as a reason to deny a CCW) should be reason to confiscate firearms.  As James Brunson found-out, his official policy is to deny firearm ownership even after a full pardon.  He, without consequence, told a court of appeals judge he was going to ignore an order requiring him to allow a handgun purchase.  I wouldn't like to see what would happen if one of us "peons" told a high ranking judge we were going to ignore his order like the head of the state police did with impunity.z
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 2:56:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Vortex, Sanford, huh. You're right up the road. Drop me a line when you get in town and I'll hook you up with the CCW class.

I'm a NC CCW instructor. Of course, because of your obvious lack of training, I'll have to make you sit through NRA basic pistol (16 hours) and NC CCW (12 hours). Figure that we'd start on Friday morning and finish up Sunday evening. [:D]

Seriously, drop me an email and we'll get you hooked up with the CCW class.

You've also got Jery's (the old "Shooter's") down the street in Fayetteville, a veritable Mecca of shooting delights.

Sir Walter Raleigh shooting club is up in Raleigh. They run some pretty good matches.

Our local club, FPSA, just closed it's doors (hopefully on a temporary basis). If you've got some spare time maybe you could get involved and help get it rolling again.

Kyle Lamb runs a yearly tactical match here in Fayetteville, which brings in some big names.

There's a few other clubs in the area, also.

Again, there are a few guys down here that do a little shooting. Drop me a line when you make the move and we'll get you rolling.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 4:47:14 AM EDT
[#44]

I live in Wake County and am a NC CCW instructor.  It's not quite as bad as you think.  The CCW law isn't as good as it should be, but at least we finally got one.

There is no firearm registration.  You do have to get a permit to purchase a handgun, but not to own a handgun.  They cost $5 each and in Wake County you can get 5 at a time.  It used to be that the permits were as good as long as the issuing Sheriff was in office, now by state law they are good for five years (not 2).  They don't ask questions if you want more than one..you just indicate on the application you fill how how many you want...you don't have to prove you need more than one.  I've gotten 15 permits over the last 3 years and no one has ever blinked an eye.  Everytime I apply, I always get five just to have some extras.

In most areas of the state, not the metropolitan areas, open carry is still allowed.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 5:04:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
NC is open carry, s oyou don't NEED a CCW.
Down here in Craven County, the permits are good for 5 years, but you can only have 3 in your possession at a time.
This last gunshow is the first time I didn't get any permits.
The Sherriff goes to the gunshow and does a them ALL DAY. ou should have seen the lines at teh show after 9/11!! Outrageous!! Over a 2 hour wait!!
But he is a great guy, and doesn't require CO letters for military guys at the shows, only if you go to the office. And even HE will tell you to get all 3 permits at once, so you don't have to pay for another BG check.
View Quote

Yeah Jerry Monette's a great sherriff.  I'm from Pamlico Co.  You shoot much at B&R in Havelock?
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 6:42:05 AM EDT
[#46]
I live in Alamance County, about 25 minutes from Duke, to the west of Durham.

Pistol purchase permits take 10-14 days to get, but you can get 2 at a time.  I just always get two, and when I'm out, I apply again before I need one.  Once you get it, they're good for 5 years.  There is no limit, that I know of, to how many handguns you can own.

I also just went through the CCW class.  You're right, its expensive.  But I DID learn a few things about the legal use of deadly force, and I'm glad I took the course.  The shooting test only requires some double and triple taps, total of 40 rounds.  Easy.

You're right that there's a long list of places you can't carry.  But you're better off getting it if only so that you're covered for having a gun in your car under any circumstances.  Without ccw, there are a dozen different interpretations of what's legal for a gun in your car.

Alamance also has the BEST outdoor range I've ever seen, the Durham Pistol and Rifle Club.  See: [url]http://www.dprc.org/[/url].  And there's a nice indoor pistol range south of Burlington called Handgunners: [url]http://www.handgunners.com/[/url].

And oh by the way, you couldn't pay me enough money to live in Sanford....

Link Posted: 2/28/2002 6:47:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I live in Alamance County, about 25 minutes from Duke, to the west of Durham.

Pistol purchase permits take 10-14 days to get, but you can get 2 at a time.  I just always get two, and when I'm out, I apply again before I need one.  Once you get it, they're good for 5 years.  There is no limit, that I know of, to how many handguns you can own.

I also just went through the CCW class.  You're right, its expensive.  But I DID learn a few things about the legal use of deadly force, and I'm glad I took the course.  The shooting test only requires some double and triple taps, total of 40 rounds.  Easy.

You're right that there's a long list of places you can't carry.  But you're better off getting it if only so that you're covered for having a gun in your car under any circumstances.  Without ccw, there are a dozen different interpretations of what's legal for a gun in your car.

Alamance also has the BEST outdoor range I've ever seen, the Durham Pistol and Rifle Club.  See: [url]http://www.dprc.org/[/url].  And there's a nice indoor pistol range south of Burlington called Handgunners: [url]http://www.handgunners.com/[/url].

View Quote

I'm a member of dprc, it rocks.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 7:10:02 AM EDT
[#48]

[/quote]

---> Why not? Do tell! I haven't signed the lease yet!
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 7:13:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Having lived in both Virginia and North Carolina I'd like to add the following:

In Virginia the issuing authority for a CCW permit is a local judge who MAY choose to refuse to issue the permit.  The permit itself specifies the caliber of the weapon authorized.  You are limited to ONE handgun purchase per month in Virginia.  You are required to REGISTER all machine guns with the Virginia State Police and have a certificate indicating such registration.  Seem to recall something strange in the Virginia statutes permitting machine guns, but you can't have the ammo in close proximity to the weapon.  I moved from Virginia in '95, so some aspects of the CCW process may have changed.

In North Carolina, as long as you meet the basic requirements, you will get issued your CCW permit.  While purchase permits for handguns are required, there is no practical limit to how many you may get.  Most of my friends get their permits 5 at a time.  A NC CCW bypasses the NCIS requirements.  Registration of machine guns MAY be required at the County level, but is left up to the discretion of the local Sheriff.  State law may seem to indicate machine guns are difficult to justify, but I've seen enough floating around here that it appears any lawful possession and use is permitted.

It's been my experience that most parts of NC are more gun friendly than Virginia.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 7:20:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Having lived in both Virginia and North Carolina I'd like to add the following:

In Virginia the issuing authority for a CCW permit is a local judge who MAY choose to refuse to issue the permit.  The permit itself specifies the caliber of the weapon authorized.  .
View Quote

---> I just looked at my VA CCW issued by Virgina Beach and it doesn't have any caliber specified on it. Mabey it was just the city that issued yours. Specifing the caliber on the CCW would be a back-asswards thing to do.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top