Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/11/2010 6:52:07 AM EDT
I posted about this in the Team section, but I thought the avation folks here would be interested.

My daughter is the Intel Officer for a Super Hornet Squadron. The squadron lets the Intel Officer go for famillarization rides. Normally the aircraft is schedulled to fly, the WSO just sits that flight out.

My daughter's flight lasted about one hour. Take off and landing were ground (rather than carrier) based.

She described the experience as "fun". I bet is was!

She hopes to get some carrier launches and traps while on deployment. Also the pilots practice carrier type take off and landings on land runways. The WSO's often do not fly on these, so she may get to fill some empty seats then too.

She had to complete a two day ground school in order to be authorized to ride in the back seat.

I don't know all of the flight details because she has been too busy to fill Mom and I in. She did say "I didn't puke".
Apparently, many of the non-flyers do.

I think it so cool that she wanted to do this and was able to do it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 7:13:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I hate your daughter.

Link Posted: 7/11/2010 9:05:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Pics!?
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 4:28:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Great, another wonderful use of my tax dollars.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 5:05:31 PM EDT
[#4]
When I was flying F-4s we got 2nd LTs who were waiting to go to flight school. We got them qualed for the back seat and took them up. I think they all had a good time, but it was interesting to see who could see what from the back seat. The visibility isn’t that good in the back of the F-4, but some guys could keep pretty good track of what was going on in a fight. Fortunately, I never had one puke back there.

The F-18F is the same size as the F-4 was: same length, wing span, wing area, empty weight, slightly higher max gross weight. It has more hard points for external stores, a majic wing that is light years better than the F-4 wing at high angle of attack, and more power. The aircraft systems are also light years ahead of what the old dogs had. I envy her. I would love to go out in an F-18F.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 5:46:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Pics!?

Of the daughter?
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 3:46:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Of course the daughter. We already know what the plane looks like.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 7:22:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I guess you missed the part about the plane was going to fly anyway. She just replaced the WSO.

Others: Sorry no pics. She would use her ninja Intell skills to hurt me.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#8]
did you fail reading comp. in school?

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/13/2010 1:22:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess you missed the part about the plane was going to fly anyway. She just replaced the WSO.

You think the water survival/egress training school she went to was free? You think the Flight gear she was issued was free? You think the extra man hours of labor that were used to do the daily inspection of the aircraft and the backseat that wouldn't have been normally used was free. Not to mention the risk it is to fly ground pounders when its not mission essential, a good intel Officer is expensive to train and we need everybody in the fight these days. I mean no disrespect and I am sorry I pissed on your cupcakes.

Crap like this is why its hard for me to get my flight gear issued to me.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 12:19:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You think the water survival/egress training school she went to was free? You think the Flight gear she was issued was free? You think the extra man hours of labor that were used to do the daily inspection of the aircraft and the backseat that wouldn't have been normally used was free. Not to mention the risk it is to fly ground pounders when its not mission essential, a good intel Officer is expensive to train and we need everybody in the fight these days. I mean no disrespect and I am sorry I pissed on your cupcakes.

Pretty sure they didn't hold a special survival school for her so the only loss to the Nav was 1 day of work for an Ens.  She probably borrowed all the flight gear from other aviators because thats what I have seen done my entire career so no bucks there.  Pretty sure that the flight itself was not scheduled just for her so a net loss of zero for the maintainers etc because they would have had to the work anyway - so again a net loss of zero.

Having an intel O that knows what it feels like to put on the gear, suck on the O2 hose and in general can have an appreciation for what an aviator goes through so she can understand the mindset of the war fighter as she does target selection and weaponeering plu being able to have the experience to integrate into a wardroom of fellow officers with whom she has no other common experience with (especially as a female) - PRICELESS!

This young officer got a great deal as not every intel O gets this chance.  The CO who made the call to have this done made a good choice and it was worth every penny to bring his corps of officers closer together.  Having the 1 or 2 ground pounders that just "don't fit in" because they have never experience aviation is a dangerous cancer to have in your squadron.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 7:32:10 AM EDT
[#11]
In addition to Intel types, I have also seen fam flights given to flight surgeons to familiarize them with the environment.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 9:39:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
In addition to Intel types, I have also seen fam flights given to flight surgeons to familiarize them with the environment.

Its a bit different for flight surgeons since they are technically aviators, get formal flight training (sortof) and receive flight pay.  Some flight surgeons are actually dual designated and considered full up pilots PLUS being doctors but it is a rarity and usually requires them to be an aviator first followed by leaving the service to go to med school.

Typically good deal fam flights like the one described on the OP are for ground officers directly attached to a ready room, VIP's, Midshipmen, sometimes to an enlisted as part of a reenlistment deal etc.  The two biggest recipients of fam flights like this are Mids and VIPs.  I think in the recent weeks we have flown at least one or two admirals around and maybe a half dozen mids.  Neither of these folks are necessarily training for war but its a way to show the Admiral the new toys and potentially recruit or dissuade a midshipman from choosing aviation.  If I were a hater like one of the above poster I would be more apt to complain about the VIP's, hollywood stars and athletes that get rides with the blue angels weekly than I would about a lowly intel O getting her back seat qual.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 10:24:57 AM EDT
[#13]
My uncle is an ex navy now coast guard admiral and he would always say.

"The pilots will always find a way to burn the gas, so we mind as well squeeze in another ass"

Outside of the blue angels, those flights are going to get flown anyway. If the WSO isn't needed giving someone else a chance to enjoy the thrill of .mil flight is a plus.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 12:44:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll bet you a case of beer that she didn't "borrow" the flight gear. I have never know people to borrow flight gear. I've been flying in the Navy for almost 8 years.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 1:15:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'll bet you a case of beer that she didn't "borrow" the flight gear. I have never know people to borrow flight gear. I've been flying in the Navy for almost 8 years.

OP - ask your daughter this question explicity: "Does she have her own Gsuit/Harness/Helmet/Airsave Vest/O2 mask or if she was fitted to somebody elses gear within her own squadron?"

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 6:48:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quit trying to stir shit up.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 1:48:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quit trying to stir shit up.

Agreed, stop trying to cause problems because you have a stick up your a$$.

to the OP she is lucky and i wish I had an opportunity like that.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 12:22:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Sorry for the delay, but I have been away.

She borrowed the flight gear from the smallest guy in her squadron.

This was a scheduled training exercise. The pilots  ran a regular training mission - nap of the earth, turns, rolls dives, ext. The highest G load was 7.6. She was happy to report she did not pass out or puke. Just about everybody expected her to do one or both.

In my opinion, a well rounded, motivated military officer should do as much as possible to improve his/her ability to understand and perform the duties of their job.

This ride was not a lark.  She didn't want to do it just for fun, though it was indeed a fun time.

Oddly (to me) many Naval Officers are not taught how to use a M-9 and, of course, are not required to qualify with one. My daughter had me run her through some practice quals with her M-9 (a graduation gift). She shot a official Navy qual as soon as  it was available and earned her ribbon. She did not have to do that either. Maybe she should pay the Navy back for the 9mm rounds she used.

Link Posted: 7/17/2010 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sorry for the delay, but I have been away.

She borrowed the flight gear from the smallest guy in her squadron.

This was a scheduled training exercise. The pilots  ran a regular training mission - nap of the earth, turns, rolls dives, ext. The highest G load was 7.6. She was happy to report she did not pass out or puke. Just about everybody expected her to do one or both.

In my opinion, a well rounded, motivated military officer should do as much as possible to improve his/her ability to understand and perform the duties of their job.

This ride was not a lark.  She didn't want to do it just for fun, though it was indeed a fun time.

Oddly (to me) many Naval Officers are not taught how to use a M-9 and, of course, are not required to qualify with one. My daughter had me run her through some practice quals with her M-9 (a graduation gift). She shot a official Navy qual as soon as  it was available and earned her ribbon. She did not have to do that either. Maybe she should pay the Navy back for the 9mm rounds she used.

Mmmmmm beer.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 4:55:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey I'm a man of my word, I'm in Iraq but will pony up for a cse of whatever you drink. IM and well set this out right.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:25:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hey I'm a man of my word, I'm in Iraq but will pony up for a cse of whatever you drink. IM and well set this out right.

No worries man it was never about the beer.  Get home safe.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:35:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I've ridden backseat in F-15s (for photo & video) and have never been issued personal flight gear. Our wing has a certain number of suits, masks and helmets set aside for just that purpose. When done,  I've simply turned it back in - no big deal.

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 6:39:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If you only knew.  As  former Hornet Mechanic I can remember many nights that we would need to defuel an aircraft and no defuelers would be available.  What did we do? Sit there and run the aircrafts motors at 80% till we burned all the fuel.

Alot more non-aviators fly in the back seats than you can possibly imagine...Me included (many times)!

Semper Fi!

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 6:41:54 AM EDT
[#24]
She most likley was only temp issued the gear or even was fitted in some one elses.  Thats waht we did.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 6:44:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You don't know because when your hanging out in the ready room the PR's are swapping out your shit to who ever needs it. You don't know because you gear is ready to go before you are. I know as I have walked in those shoes! (or was it your boots...no...I wore them before they were issued to you.)  Plus to get issued the harness alone (remember) the hang test etc etc etc

Wings level my friend!

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 7:15:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am going to assume you are a P3 flyer?  We have probably crossed paths recently if you are at Ali Base..  In any event, your problem getting gear is probably more the reseult of the P3 community being whittled away by big navy in preparation for the P8 replacement and the dwindling mission.  Cold war is dead, satellites do a lot of recon and though the EP3 birds still bring valuable assets to the fight as well as the VPU guys, the platform is fast approaching the end of her airframe life.  The P3 community as a whole has been shrinking for years and will continue to do so, that means funding will also shrink.  It sucks, I know but there are other USN fixed wing communities that are expanding.  Look into it.   I have no problem at whatsoever getting any gear I need whenever I need it..

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 7:25:51 AM EDT
[#27]
nice story.......thanks for posting
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 7:34:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You're so full of shit!  In what capacity do you fly?  

To the OP, glad your daughter liked it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 9:42:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, everybody borrows gear for this kind of flight.  My LPO got a backseat ride in an F18 the other day, they just had her go to the PR locker and issued her all the gear she needed, then she turned it back in when she was done.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 12:46:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have no problem at whatsoever getting any gear I need whenever I need it.

No shortage of 10K tiedown chains and 463L pallets, eh.  

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have no problem at whatsoever getting any gear I need whenever I need it.

No shortage of 10K tiedown chains and 463L pallets, eh.  

Plenty for everyone!  Lol.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 8:02:06 PM EDT
[#32]

Not enough Super Hornet in this thread.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 1:34:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you only knew.  As  former Hornet Mechanic I can remember many nights that we would need to defuel an aircraft and no defuelers would be available.  What did we do? Sit there and run the aircrafts motors at 80% till we burned all the fuel.

Alot more non-aviators fly in the back seats than you can possibly imagine...Me included (many times)!

Semper Fi!

I was once asked to burn out a centerline tank on an F-4 so they could make a scheduled engine change. I grabbed a RIO and we made a maximum performance take-off. At the end of the runway we were still at 50’ and doing over 500 kts. I pulled up to 10 degrees nose up and we started climbing at something like 40,000 fpm. At 25,000’ I rolled inverted, topping out at 30,000’ then leveled out to descend back to 25,000’ to accelerate from .9M to 1.1M. That little interruption to the climb is used to punch through the drag rise at M1. At 1.1M I continued to climb to 50,000’. I let it go to see how fast I could go on that day, while carrying a centerline fuel tank. I got to 1.9M, 980 kts, before I had to turn back. When I got back to the edge of the military warning area, I finally pulled it out of burner. I got back to the pattern, took one bounce then a full stop as the low fuel light was coming on. I was back in the line 20 min after take-off, having burned off over 2,000 gal of JP-5. The mechs were happy. The a/c was pulled into the barn, the empty tank was dropped and the engine change was done.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 2:02:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Semper Fi!

I was once asked to burn out a centerline tank on an F-4 so they could make a scheduled engine change. I grabbed a RIO and we made a maximum performance take-off. At the end of the runway we were still at 50’ and doing over 500 kts. I pulled up to 10 degrees nose up and we started climbing at something like 40,000 fpm. At 25,000’ I rolled inverted, topping out at 30,000’ then leveled out to descend back to 25,000’ to accelerate from .9M to 1.1M. That little interruption to the climb is used to punch through the drag rise at M1. At 1.1M I continued to climb to 50,000’. I let it go to see how fast I could go on that day, while carrying a centerline fuel tank. I got to 1.9M, 980 kts, before I had to turn back. When I got back to the edge of the military warning area, I finally pulled it out of burner. I got back to the pattern, took one bounce then a full stop as the low fuel light was coming on. I was back in the line 20 min after take-off, having burned off over 2,000 gal of JP-5. The mechs were happy. The a/c was pulled into the barn, the empty tank was dropped and the engine change was done.

So you did a max performance run on a high-time engine?  Ballsiest move I ever saw man!

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:43:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Semper Fi!

So you did a max performance run on a high-time engine?  Ballsiest move I ever saw man!

Not really. They wanted it back quickly to get things done. I just got it done quickly.

Unlike the F-14, the F-4 had reliable engines. We had one go several days, two hops a day, at Red Flag, with what turned out to be a couple of turbine blades missing. An F-14 would have scattered the engine at the first hint of a blade failure.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:01:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a Naval Aircrewman on P-3 Orions with over 2000 Flight hours and multiple deployments under my belt.  I am a Fleet Level instructor at the Fleet replacement squadron and have been flying pretty much my entire Naval Career minus boot camp and A-school.
I am also a certified Private helicopter pilot.
All the Intel and ground pounders run around with there FLight gear in my squadron that they didn't borrow and its one of the main reasons I have a hard time getting the Gear I need to do my job sometimes, that and BHO spending all our taxes on his health care plan and golfing and going on vacations.

Does that answer your question or do I need to get more specific.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a Naval Aircrewman on P-3 Orions with over 2000 Flight hours and multiple deployments under my belt.  I am a Fleet Level instructor at the Fleet replacement squadron and have been flying pretty much my entire Naval Career minus boot camp and A-school.
All the Intel and ground pounders run around with there FLight gear in my squadron that they didn't borrow and its one of the main reasons I have a hard time getting the Gear I need to do my job sometimes, that and BHO spending all our taxes on his health care plan and golfing and going on vacations.

That's plenty specific.  With all that experience, you should know better than to talk the shit you did in this thread.  It's a great thing that this girl got a ride.  I wish more Intel officers (and JTAC's) could see things from our perspective.  Don't begrudge her that experience just because you are being jimmy-kicked by the system.  Congratulate the girl, and keep your political views in another thread.  Or, better yet, DON'T say a fucking word on the internet about your current state of readiness.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:51:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whats your seat position?  Im a crewman too, NATOPS Instructor, etc.  Differnet platform though. You have a hard time getting gear because the P3 community is dying.  Wants some advice?  GTFO.  What qualifies me to state this?  Former P3 guy too though I didnt fly back then.  There is a lot of good billets out there for aircrew and I can tell you, none of them are in the P3 community.  I wouldnt be so fast to air bad karma towards our own either.  I know it can be frustrating when you need something and cant seem to get it but the bottom line is that we are all in the same Navy and we all wear gold wings so  dont get too wrapped around the axle over this.  If people in your command are requistioning gear they are not authorized to have, shoot an Anymouse to the C.O. but calling out fellow squids on a forum that is populated by a shit ton of squids and members of other branches isnt the coolest thing to do.  Aircrewmen are better than that, you know this..

Just sayin'

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:18:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm a Naval Aircrewman on P-3 Orions with over 2000 Flight hours and multiple deployments under my belt.

Come back when you have 5,000+ hours between 4 different aircraft (9 different models spread out amongst them).
So are you an Engineer or are you self loading cargo.  

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 10:06:29 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Semper Fi!

Not really. They wanted it back quickly to get things done. I just got it done quickly.

Unlike the F-14, the F-4 had reliable engines. We had one go several days, two hops a day, at Red Flag, with what turned out to be a couple of turbine blades missing. An F-14 would have scattered the engine at the first hint of a blade failure.

Just bustin chops!  My dad said the F4 was bulletproof.  He was an AD(R) then an AD(J) back in the day.  Was an Aircrewman too!
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's plenty specific.  With all that experience, you should know better than to talk the shit you did in this thread.  It's a great thing that this girl got a ride.  I wish more Intel officers (and JTAC's) could see things from our perspective.  Don't begrudge her that experience just because you are being jimmy-kicked by the system.  Congratulate the girl, and keep your political views in another thread.  Or, better yet, DON'T say a fucking word on the internet about your current state of readiness.

Hey man no need to resort to cussing I mean thats a little low class and childish for an officer don't you think, If intel officers get to ride then why shouldn't mechs and Framers and Trons get to ride. after all its there systems on the aircraft. We could go on about this forever. Anyways have fun and I hope you dont have a Class A.
anyways I'm an IFT (self loading cargo) for the FE's who think they are gods gift to Naval Aviation, while they have an important job after years of flying I'm pretty tired of hearing the same thing.
I havent been at Ali since 07. I'd tell you what I was doing and where i was but you know OPSEC.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:27:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a Naval Aircrewman on P-3 Orions with over 2000 Flight hours and multiple deployments under my belt.

Come back when you have 5,000+ hours between 4 different aircraft (9 different models spread out amongst them).
So are you an Engineer or are you self loading cargo.  

Was it tough fighting the Japanese back in the day?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:00:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey man no need to resort to cussing I mean thats a little low class and childish for an officer don't you think, If intel officers get to ride then why shouldn't mechs and Framers and Trons get to ride. after all its there systems on the aircraft. We could go on about this forever. Anyways have fun and I hope you dont have a Class A.
anyways I'm an IFT (self loading cargo) for the FE's who think they are gods gift to Naval Aviation, while they have an important job after years of flying I'm pretty tired of hearing the same thing.
I havent been at Ali since 07. I'd tell you what I was doing and where i was but you know OPSEC.

Did you, apparently a junior enlisted guy, just call a Naval Officer "low class and childish" in a public forum because you disliked the language he used to correct you?

I'll edit this post out when you go back and fix yours.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:31:33 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Somehow I don't think they would have sent her to any special schools just for a familiarization flight.  As for man hours of labor to check the back seat being free, well I think it kind of is.  The flight crew was getting paid to be there regardless.  And I also doubt she was allowed to keep her flight suit, etc.

However, if the familiarization flight allows her to better, more effectively, and/or more safely task or utilize the aircraft, I think it might well pay huge dividends in the future.

And if the experience plays any part in her decision to remain in the Navy beyond her current contract, that alone is probably worth the cost of a little extra fuel needed to compensate for her being in the back seat.
ETA:  Sorry, I should have read the post directly below.  
-K

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 10:12:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Hey man no need to resort to cussing I mean thats a little low class and childish for an officer don't you think

No.  

If intel officers get to ride then why shouldn't mechs and Framers and Trons get to ride. after all its there systems on the aircraft. We could go on about this forever.

How would that help you do your job?  It wouldn't.  It CAN (and does) help INTEL O's better perform their jobs.  But, you probably have NO idea what an Intel O does in a strike-fighter squadron, so I can see why you think the comparison between an Airframer and an Intel O getting a ride is appropriate.  Suffice it to say, it isn't.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:16:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Sir Yes Sir!!!
you are absolutely right on all counts and I should have known better than to disagree with you. Permission to carry on?
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Sir Yes Sir!!!
you are absolutely right on all counts and I should have known better than to disagree with you. Permission to carry on?

Fix your attitude.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:24:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Sir Yes Sir!!!

If you want to bring rank into a discussion, don't get bent out of shape when you embarrass yourself.  I'm going to leave this thread now... for YOUR own good.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:29:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I hate your daughter.

Me too. So lucky.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top