Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2004 12:53:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/22/2004 12:53:22 PM EST by mtechgunman]
What do you guys think of this new jet, and is it in use yet?

Discuss.

Raptor photos
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:54:04 PM EST
Not yet.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:55:38 PM EST
look up 'Bad Ass' in the dictionary: you'll see the F-22 there
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:55:39 PM EST
Operational in training squadrons, IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:58:27 PM EST
Pretty soon, IIRC there will be a unit operational at Langley AFB in 2005.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:58:59 PM EST
What are the main differences in this jet, and the other jets?

I know each has there own purpose and all, but what makes this one different?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:02:08 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/22/2004 1:13:43 PM EST by DzlBenz]
Coming soon to an AFB near you. Actually, I know a guy in AF pilot training right now at Columbus (MS) AFB. His class should graduate some of the first non-transition F-22 pilots. He could very well be one of them!

Edited to correct state for Columbus AFB. Thanks, eodtech2000.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:03:01 PM EST

Originally Posted By DzlBenz:
Coming soon to an AFB near you. Actually, I know a guy in AF pilot training right now at Columbus (GA) AFB. His class should graduate some of the first non-transition F-22 pilots. He could very well be one of them!

\

Lucky bastard i tell you!!! lucky bastard!!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:03:23 PM EST
IIRC the F-22 has, among other things:

Supercruise - can travel long distances at supersonic speeds. Other fighters can only go supersonic under afterburner for a few minutes

Stealth - Classified, of course, but I'd bet a lot of money that it's the stealthiest aircraft ever built

Fighter - capable of air-to-air, unlike all other stealth aircraft so far
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:03:30 PM EST

Originally Posted By mtechgunman:
What are the main differences in this jet, and the other jets?

About the same as comparing a F-86 to an F-4. The F-22 can fly circles around the F-16, F-15, and any other fighter on the planet. It can break the sound barrier and cruise at that speed without cracking the afterburner. Has a lower radar signature than the F-117.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:03:31 PM EST

Originally Posted By mtechgunman:

Off of the top of my head:

Supercruise - sustaining mach 1+ flight without afterburners = longer range
Vertical thrust vectoring - giving the raptor greater manueverability
Glass Cockpit with state-of-the-art navigation, radar, and fire control systems
Improved "stealthy-ness"

-Niel
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:09:01 PM EST

Coming soon to an AFB near you. Actually, I know a guy in AF pilot training right now at Columbus (GA) AFB. His class should graduate some of the first non-transition F-22 pilots. He could very well be one of them!

???

There are only 2 Air Force bases in GA , Robins and Moody. There is also a Air Reserve Base which is Dobbins. The only "base" in Columbus is FT Benning.

I will have to check at work tomorrow, but I had I thought I saw some USAF literature about Tyndall and the training for the F-22.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:09:45 PM EST
I used to see them flying around my office near the approach to the Lockheed plant's runway. Very cool looking. They were usually trailed by several F15s... My guess is in case the pilot decided to make a run for Cuba. Otherwise trainers would have done just fine.

Oh yeah, Kerry is against the F22.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:12:20 PM EST

Originally Posted By eodtech2000:
There are only 2 Air Force bases in GA , Robins and Moody. There is also a Air Reserve Base which is Dobbins. The only "base" in Columbus is FT Benning.

I beg your pardon. Columbus AFB is in MS, not GA. My mistake. I felt a little apprehensive when I was typing it, and should have checked right away. Thanks for the catch. I corrected the post above.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:17:19 PM EST
All weapons bays are internal, therefore a fully loaded aircraft going into combat loses none of it's stealth or aerodynamic performance abilities.

There are external hardpoints for droptanks for use in ferrying/redeployment.

It's Badass (with a capital B).

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:19:56 PM EST

Originally Posted By eodtech2000:

I beg your pardon. Columbus AFB is in MS, not GA. My mistake. I felt a little apprehensive when I was typing it, and should have checked right away. Thanks for the catch. I corrected the post above.

I work at Robins AFB and thought that looked a little funny. I still haven't memorized where all the Air Force Bases are though, tough learning the Air Force after being the Army for a long time.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:34:11 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/22/2004 1:34:43 PM EST by KA3B]
The F-22 is not operational.

The F-22 training command at Tyndall AFB has "stood up" but they are not training any STUDENTS right now, they are training instructor pilots.

Nellis AFB has a few F-22's for weapons T&E and R&D.

Edwards AFB has a few F-22's for aircraft T&E and R&D.

The first F-22 squadron is going to be stationed at Langley AFB.

They have accepted 2 or 3 F-22's, but as of August Lockheed had stopped delivery of the F-22 to the Air Force while an "upgrade" kit ias being developed and installed on F-22's that are still on the production line. The completed F-22's will get the kit when Lockheed is able to get to them.
It's cheaper for the USAF to have Lockheed install the kits on the aircraft bfore they leave the factory vice having to send a team to Langley.

OFFICIAL US AIR FORCE F/A-22 RAPTOR WEB SITE
www2.acc.af.mil/library/FA22/index.htm
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:37:51 PM EST
Excellent F/A-22 Raptor information web site:
Lockheed's Code One on-line magazine
www.codeonemagazine.com/f22/articles/articles.html
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:03:51 PM EST
I'm stationed at Edwards AFB and work on F-22's. Here's what we have so far;
Edwards has 9 that are being used for R&D work.
Nellis has 8 that are being used for operation testing.
Tyndall has approximately 7 (more are be delivered as fast as Lockeed can finish building them) that are being used for instructor pilot training.
Langley should receive its first F/A-22 IIRC in April 2005.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:17:47 PM EST

Originally Posted By JoeWang:
I used to see them flying around my office near the approach to the Lockheed plant's runway. Very cool looking. They were usually trailed by several F15s... My guess is in case the pilot decided to make a run for Cuba. Otherwise trainers would have done just fine.

Oh yeah, Kerry is against the F22.

The aircraft trailing them are what is called "safety chase", they are there to help the F-22 pilot out incase something happens (the chase pilots are all fully qualified F-22 test pilots). Trainers will not work, they cannot keep up.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:22:08 PM EST

Coming soon to an AFB near you. Actually, I know a guy in AF pilot training right now at Columbus (MS) AFB. His class should graduate some of the first non-transition F-22 pilots. He could very well be one of them!

Edited to correct state for Columbus AFB. Thanks, eodtech2000.

It is my understanding that only experienced F-15 and F-16 pilots will be flying F-22 for the next few years.
Top Top