Posted: 6/4/2008 11:26:54 AM EDT
So, I have been trying to sell some stuff locally on Craigslist. I have one particular item that has caught the eye of every slimeball trolling the Craigslist boards, and one scam in particular I want to share with you so you can keep your eyes out.
1. I posted the item ( a piece of jewelry) on Craigslist with the price.
2. I received and email through the board's email server from a guy named David who says he wants to purchase the item for a friend he met at a conference. He has had trouble with scams in the past so he asks that I use AlertPAY. He says he will then provide me the shipping info.
3. I get suspicious because he hasn't even asked normal questions or wants to see it. Also, Craigslist is a local board so I don't get too many people wanting me to ship things. I play along.
4. I initially decline the AlertPAY but then I tell him it is OK. The next day I received a thankful email from him, stating he has included an *additional $100.00 USD* to cover shipping charges. The address: Nigeria!
5. I then receive a very shady email supposedly from AlertPAY saying the funds are in my account and all I need to do is send the item and email them the USPS shipping confirmation, and they will *mail me a money order*. A quick look at the AlertPAY site will show you this is absolutely not the way the system works.
6. I contact AlertPAY and end the sale politely with the scammer, but you could see how this would have gone down a mile a way.
Ok, I will send my expensive jewelry to Nigera and hope my money order comes in the mail!!
Sounds dumb, but someone must have fallen for it. Just trying to give you guys a heads up.