Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2006 4:43:06 AM EDT
Hey Guys,

Until my GF gets her CHL I want her to have some type of protection so I'm about to order some FOX OC spray.  I have some quick questions abot the type of bottle/nozzle that would be best for her.

I'm looking at the 2OZ can.  The options for the types of tops are:
Stream
Flip-top Stream
Cop-Top Stream w/holster

What is the flip top type?  This is something she will have in her purse so obviously I don't want any AD's  to happen while she's carrying it.

Thoughts on what would be best?

CMOS
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:01:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Bump cuz nobody is helping me.  

CMOS
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:18:32 AM EDT
[#2]
If she carries it in her purse it will end up in the bottom, which will do no good. Make or buy some type of clip for it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:27:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Flip top for safety I guess. Stream for sure. Hook it to a key chain. Gave one to my niece in college. She didn't even know what it was until I told her. Buy two and practice with one so she knows how to use it if you think it is necessary. Or at least teach her how to target the upper chest, neck and face areas... then RUN!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:30:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Flip top for safety I guess. Stream for sure. Hook it to a key chain. Gave one to my niece in college. She didn't even know what it was until I told her. Buy two and practice with one so she knows how to use it if you think it is necessary. Or at least teach her how to target the upper chest, neck and face areas... then RUN!

Thanks.  I do plan to buy at least 2 so she can practice with her aim and range judgement.

CMOS
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:40:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got the "stream" flip top model.  I'd recommend that one.

I've used it and it works.

2oz is great to put in your pocket or palm in your hand.  A 4oz might be easier to find in her purse.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:51:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I used to carry the flip top as a mall cop with foam and let me tell you it works just fine.
We had to be sprayed to get certified and hit hurts like a bitch.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:43:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I read this fast and at first I though you wrote "20 oz" can...I though holy shit, good man, why go small when a 20 will do

Any how, be sure and get two as smlockeiii mentioned. You need to practice with this stuff and know how to use it. Practice or get training. Also, when you buy it, get some decon wipes like Sudicon. This necesssary if a) the OC is used and wind comes into play, b) some ass-hat thinks its cool to try at a party...yes it happens.

Also teach her how to kick someone in the nuts and jam a pen in any soft tissue area.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:45:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:54:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.  I do plan to buy at least 2 so she can practice with her aim and range judgement.

CMOS

Kind of ironic that I saw this. Last night, we had a guy run frome one of our officers and draw a small weapon on him.  Well, long story short, I sprayed him twice. The spray took effect, but only after a thirty seconds or so. Probably less, as the guy was tweaking big time.

Any way I would recommend the same as above. However, you can buy inert practce cans that would probably be safer to practice with than a "live" can.  Whichever way you go, be sure that the motions neede to activate the spray are deliberate and that if the top of the can comes into contact with something in her bag or whatever, that it cant AD.

The statement about the face neck etc. are correct. The mucous membranes are what are affected by OC so the target area requires a little bit of training to consistently hit them. Not a big deal but it definately pays to practice.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:55:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CMOS

Kind of ironic that I saw this. Last night, we had a guy run frome one of our officers and draw a small weapon on him.  Well, long story short, I sprayed him twice (with FOX, our issue OC). The spray took effect, but only after a thirty seconds or so. Probably less, as the guy was tweaking big time.

Any way I would recommend the same as above. However, you can buy inert practce cans that would probably be safer to practice with than a "live" can.  Whichever way you go, be sure that the motions neede to activate the spray are deliberate and that if the top of the can comes into contact with something in her bag or whatever, that it cant AD.

The statement about the face neck etc. are correct. The mucous membranes are what are affected by OC so the target area requires a little bit of training to consistently hit them. Not a big deal but it definately pays to practice.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:04:51 AM EDT
[#11]
The flip top is best as it'll prevent accidental discharges - which is bad - double bad for Fox Labs stuff cause it's extremely potent (5.3 = ).

I have both the stream and cone in 2 Oz canisters and have sprayed both in the backyard.  I like the stream myself as it's a little easier to aim.  The cone is susceptable to winds although the best bet for instantly covering an assailant.

With the Fox Labs 5.3, you don't need much to really ruin someone's day, so I like the stream - it has a little more reach.

Since I bought both I have the stream model in the house and in my wife's car - I carry the cone myself when I don't want to carry a firearm.

Can't lose with either, the stream gives you more distance (10-15 feet or so?) and the cone gives you more coverage (3-4 foot cone at 6 feet away).
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:10:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Read Here

With your avitar I thought you were w4klr

ETA I WASTED THAT FOR POST 1911!?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:10:26 AM EDT
[#13]
There was a thread on this site about 8 months ago where a member had to use this same spray on some dirtbag that was about to kick his ass in - of all places - a local drug store.   He zapped the guy with FOX OC and said, "He dropped immediately."  

Hmm, that's a good review.  

CMOS
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought Fox fog last time, but I think now stream or foam is the way to go.

Fog takes the shotgun approach, but in lingers indoors and is affected by wind outdoors. It's probably okay for a noob, but I think stream or foam is the way to go.

I use the old style, no flip-top. I think they call them Cop-Top today. I prefer it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:41:01 AM EDT
[#15]
The stream is easier to use against a still target but people (especially ones that know about OC spray) duck, bob and weave when you try to spray them, so the fogger is easier to use in a "real" altercation.
My department uses Fox and switched last year from the fogger to the stream for some reason and we have noticed a decrease in effectiveness.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:44:40 AM EDT
[#16]
i actually let my buddie spray with with a can of FOX at the range last year...

cause im a dumbass!!! that stuff gave me some of the worst pain that i have ever experienced, they say that its the only brand of OC made that no officer has ever volunteered to take a second hit of during the training. I can say from personal experience that fox OC so completely incapacitated me that i dont think anyone would be able to take a direct blast unless they were really methed up!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:19:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I read this fast and at first I though you wrote "20 oz" can...I though holy shit, good man, why go small when a 20 will do

Any how, be sure and get two as smlockeiii mentioned. You need to practice with this stuff and know how to use it. Practice or get training. Also, when you buy it, get some decon wipes like Sudicon. This necesssary if a) the OC is used and wind comes into play, b) some ass-hat thinks its cool to try at a party...yes it happens.

Also teach her how to kick someone in the nuts and jam a pen in any soft tissue area.

Can these be bought from the same places that sell the spray?

CMOS
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
i actually let my buddie spray with with a can of FOX at the range last year...

cause im a dumbass!!! that stuff gave me some of the worst pain that i have ever experienced, they say that its the only brand of OC made that no officer has ever volunteered to take a second hit of during the training. I can say from personal experience that fox OC so completely incapacitated me that i dont think anyone would be able to take a direct blast unless they were really methed up!

I got to go to cop training for this stuff as part of a 'sales school' for it.

It hurts. I damned sure regretted volunteering for the first hit when it was offered to give me 'first hand experience' with the product.

Fox is hot. Hotter than anything else i've played with, pepper-spray-wise.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top