Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2002 9:05:58 AM EDT
U.S. Bombs Strike in Afghanistan; Casualties Reported.

No reports yet...

Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:09:20 AM EDT
[#1]
OH JEEZ,  

A errent Bomb killed 250 Afghans at a wedding party... As many as 400 wounded... Who knows??????

Ben
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:11:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't even know if this is credible or not... As sources an't mentioned...

Sources: People??? and Afghan affairs MInistry or something??

Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:14:13 AM EDT
[#3]
[url]http://www.msnbc.com/news/default.asp?cp1=1[/url]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:14:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
OH JEEZ,  

A errent  killed 250 Afghans at a wedding party... As many as 400 wounded... Who knows??????

Ben
View Quote

big whoop....when they get married there not terroists.  when there not getting married they are terroists.  -250 less  
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:17:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Cita, I don't even know if this story is legitamite or not...  
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:22:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Cita..

IIRC you are just a kid....

If not I do not know what to attribute your post too..

Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:27:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Ummmm.....PREVENTIVE MEASURE
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:27:40 AM EDT
[#8]
DOD will confirm or say this didn't happen.. For all we know, Al Queda could have launched a Artillery barage or rocket attack... They don't need large tubes to do that, I have seen them do it with a battery and some other things..

Ben
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:28:34 AM EDT
[#9]
[url]http://www.channel3000.com/news/1538769/detail.html[/url]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:32:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:37:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:39:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Apparently a reconnaissance flew over a wedding where they were celebrating a wedding by firing weapons into the air and it called in the AC-130 and B-52's.
View Quote

ooops..

What the hell can you say to that....

Ben
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:45:05 AM EDT
[#13]
AC-130 gunship and a B-52 involved-FoxNews

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,56694,00.html
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:45:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Apparently a reconnaissance flew over a wedding where they were celebrating a wedding by firing weapons into the air and it called in the AC-130 and B-52's.
View Quote

ooops..

What the hell can you say to that....

Ben
View Quote

"Don't fire your weapon into the air - someone might mistake you for the enemy and return your fire - duh!"
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:47:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:49:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 10:09:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Hmmm.... I need some cigarettes...
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 2:31:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Ok its official...

you Americans are beginning to SUCK!!

Fist you kill 4 Canadian Soldiers when one of your F'd up pilots decides that Canadians on a MARKED shooting range are shooting at HIM!!

What happens to this idiot??? NOTHING!!

Now one of your NAMBY PAMBY pilots kills 250 civilians and you twits make jokes!!!

Frankly you make me sick!!  I realize that the sick puppies making jokes out of the deaths of civilians do not represent the bulk of American thought but it is sickening none the less!!
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 10:28:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Well Stormbringer at least we shoot back not wave some silly little piece of paper at them or hold hands and sing cumbuy-ya . Accidents happen , thats life , nothing is 100% garaunteed . If your country is going to cry over 4 soldiers killed in an unfortunate friendly fire incident maybe they all need to get out of our way and go home . As usual the U.S. has to clean up the rest of the worlds military messes .
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 10:57:21 PM EDT
[#21]
[i]A Pentagon spokesman, Lt. Cmdr. Jeff Davis, said at least three explanations for the casualties appeared possible:
An Air Force B-52 bomber that attacked a cave complex in the same general area of Uruzgan province reported that one of its bombs went astray. Officials said they could not immediately determine where the errant bomb landed. It was a 2,000-pound satellite-guided bomb called a GBU-31. Davis said it was one of seven GBU-31 bombs the B-52 fired at cave and bunker complexes.
An Air Force AC-130 gunship attacked anti-aircraft artillery emplacements in the same general area. A forward air controller on the ground called for the AC-130 support after reporting fire from the anti-aircraft artillery.
Some of the anti-aircraft artillery could have fallen back to the ground and caused the casualties, Davis said.[/i]

Boy, they are really reaching on the AAA theory. A "stray" 2000 pounder seems more likely.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:19:59 PM EDT
[#22]
250 KIA?  OMG, that's one catastrophic fuck-up.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:22:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ok its official...

you Americans are beginning to SUCK!!

Fist you kill 4 Canadian Soldiers when one of your F'd up pilots decides that Canadians on a MARKED shooting range are shooting at HIM!!

What happens to this idiot??? NOTHING!!

View Quote

Accidents happen.  In training in Kuwait, a foward observer called in an airstrike on his own position.  He only realized the mistake AFTER the bombs were dropped.

It's not like these acts are intentional.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:34:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Stormbringer -
 I offer no excuses or explanation for your four countrymen killed on the range - I don't know the particulars of the incident.

However, I can offer some general information about this one...

Afghanistan is a war zone - even if the country proper is not at war
 Terrorists have been known to celebrate victories or perhaps have "pep rallies" where large amounts of ammunition are fired into the air - especially Islamic/Arabic terrorists.  INDICATOR
 While we are not directly at war with Afghanistan proper, we ARE fighting factions located WITHIN Afghanistan.

From this it can be inferred that the whole of Afghanistan is a CA, and any actions you take that indicate probable terrorist activities are likely to get you nailed.  Deal with it.
 I have done hostage rescue workups and came up in CT, and I know that there can be a good deal of confusion in these environments.  This is similar to these microcosms, writ large.  Expect confusion and mistakes - you will have those is any war.  I am not excusing mistakes, nor am I condoning them.  However, they have happened and they WILL happen again.

FFZ
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:57:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Stormbringer,

On the day that I heard the tragic news of the bomb being dropped on the Canadian soldiers, I was very saddened. Even more saddened than when I heard about American soldiers that died. I am glad the Canadian soldiers are on our side. They did not have to join us there Afganistan. But being the great Allies youu are they chose to come fight side by side with us. And I dont think we could ask for a better ally.

Lets face it this is a war we are in. Thousands of bombs were and are being dropped. Sometimes you cant get all of them in the X ring. Also lets take a look what was going on. You dont go into a war zone with a rifle and shoot in the air when planes are flying over. You are looking for trouble.

Read about them shooting in the air. I would not be surprised that this was not a scam to show how we are savages. Kinda like all the baby food factories we bombed in Iraq. I just think its funny that these people a bitching about a bomb dropping accidently on a wedding and killing 250 people. I dont think those planes Flew into the WTC accidently.
[url]http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/asiapcf/central/07/01/afghanistan.bombing/index.html[/url]

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:15:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Sixgun...

I realize that it is a war zone.

I realize that  $hit happens..

HOWEVER

To have some twits around here actually CHEERING that civilians have died is a disgrace!!

The fact is that accidents like this CAN be prevented.  It appears that the C&C in the American system is a little F'd up.  In the case of the Canadian deaths the pilot was told NOT to fire when he requested permission for a strafing run.......so he dropped his bomb instead???

As for the latest mistake??  Well the details are still sketchy....however it appears to have been a AC-130 ( not a pretty way to go) that ran the deadly attack.

Is is wise to shoot in the air to celebrate a wedding??  Nope.....

BTW did you hear about the Pakistani wedding last week??  20 dead when someone in celebration set off a mortar....but dropped in in upside down....the groom is among the dead.
Proof positive that it is a bad idea to shoot off firearms etc....*( but they also do it in Detroit at New Years!!! Hmmmm)

Anyway I can see that this was a mistake however the reactions of some of the imature lowlifes that seem to crawl out from under their rocks at times like this is NOT an accident.....( but I am certain that their births were).
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:55:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 8:00:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 8:15:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Funny how the "250 dead" as the headlines started out screaming has now become a whisper of "about 20 dead".  I guess that doesn't make it much better, especially for the 20 families, but shouldn't the media be responsible for presenting false statements?  Shouldn't the correction get more emphasis?  Oh, that's right, they don't have to be accurate, just first.  

Then you have these a**holes bitching that we made a mistake at all.  I'm so sick of our country doing 99% of the work while the rest of the world bitches that we A) don't do enough; B) Don't do it right; C) Try to do it all; D) Won't let anyone else do it.  WTF??  

I know that is nothing new to anyone but I just felt like putting in my bit after reading what "Stormbringer" had to say.  I agree in with some points but if you don't like the material, don't read it.  Don't want to see the freak show, don't go in the tent.  If it surprises just remember that things aren't always as they appear.  A lot of it is just a show.  Don't take it so seriously.  Finally, don't be surpised when people react to your claims of superiority.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top