Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/24/2016 5:23:25 AM EDT
Now if this isn't a load of horseshit, I just don't know what is...

Fort Bend County is suing the widow and children of a sheriff's deputy who died five years ago in the line of duty.

Deputy J.D. Norsworthy was critically injured December 27, 2010, after swerving to avoid traffic on his way to back up a fellow officer. He hit a tree on FM 762 near Benton Road and flipped his patrol car. Days later, he died.

Prepare for your blood to absolutely boil...
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 5:28:36 AM EDT
Greedy cocksuckers
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 5:34:36 AM EDT
This for medical bills? The article wasn't really clear. You would think being a county employee he would have had insurance to cover it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 5:36:30 AM EDT
Just govt being govt. Although it pisses me off, none of us should be surprised
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 5:40:12 AM EDT
Seems to me they should be suing the same people the family sued, not the family  who lost their husband and father
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 5:47:18 AM EDT
My blood isn't boiling.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 6:12:56 AM EDT
In the time since Norsworthy's death the county has never tried to recover reimbursement for his medical bills or lost wages.

Killed in the line of duty and your family is on the hook for lost wages and medical bills?? I've never heard of such a thing. What am I missing?
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 6:19:15 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By torstin:
In the time since Norsworthy's death the county has never tried to recover reimbursement for his medical bills or lost wages.

Killed in the line of duty and your family is on the hook for lost wages and medical bills?? I've never heard of such a thing. What am I missing?
View Quote

It's light as hell.on the details, but if the estate just won a judgement that included medical expenses then it's reasonable that the people that actually paid the medical expenses get it.  But the lost wages is just bizarre.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 6:25:55 AM EDT
After 5 years, I'd think the statute of limitations would be long expired.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 6:27:43 AM EDT
Originally Posted By tc556guy:
Seems to me they should be suing the same people the family sued, not the family  who lost their husband and father
View Quote

This!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 6:35:25 AM EDT
In the time since Norsworthy's death the county has never tried to recover reimbursement for his medical bills or lost wages. Only now, after Norsworthy's daughter Kaitlyn has settled with the party deemed liable for the wreck, has the county sued Kaitlyn, her brother and her mother.
View Quote

Soooo..... what party is liable for the wreck?  This may be a mystery solving clue.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 6:38:33 AM EDT
It's the taxpayers monies, the family gets his life insurance.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 6:55:36 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

It's light as hell.on the details, but if the estate just won a judgement that included medical expenses then it's reasonable that the people that actually paid the medical expenses get it.  But the lost wages is just bizarre.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

My thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 7:00:58 AM EDT
Yeah if you get awarded medical costs, you reimburse who paid the bills.  That's pretty common.  Usually if you get a lump sum not specifying for what the insurance company gets their money back.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 7:03:20 AM EDT
"The party deemed liable"  I want to know who this party is before I let my blood boil.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 7:04:55 AM EDT
Originally Posted By elbeefalo:
My blood isn't boiling.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 7:16:27 AM EDT

My blood isn't boiling.
View Quote

Sounds like you know how insurance works.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 7:25:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/24/2016 7:28:59 AM EDT by fxntime]
Originally Posted By PaDanby:
Yeah if you get awarded medical costs, you reimburse who paid the bills.  That's pretty common.  Usually if you get a lump sum not specifying for what the insurance company gets their money back.
View Quote

Yep, that is why people sue for ''pain and suffering'' instead of just medical costs,

I'm betting the family has been financially compensated by this incident in other ways that the article would not mention.

Their lawyer [family] sucks if he didn't sue for reasons not related to actual monetary damages. [IE, mental/psychological]
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 7:26:48 AM EDT
That's the way insurance works kids. Same for auto and homeowners and renters. You get paid and the person or entity at fault compensates you for those expenses, your insurance company or in this case the self insured city is going to want those back.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 7:28:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 7:30:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:28:33 AM EDT

View All Quotes

all of this
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:32:32 AM EDT
His medical bills should have gone thru worker's comp. IF anyone sues for recovery it should be them.  (Yes, it's been done in the past)
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:34:17 AM EDT
Originally Posted By dogsplat:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dogsplat:
My blood isn't boiling.

Yup.

It *sounds* like a shitty play by the local government but, it's not. It's perfectly reasonable.

In emotionally driven circumstances it's important to try and maintain some objectivity.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:34:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/24/2016 8:34:59 AM EDT by runfrumu]
Is Jessie Ventura a county commissioner?
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:40:18 AM EDT
My partner was working a Traffic Job for the State, in a Town vehicle and got hit, tore his shoulder up pretty badly.  The town essentially told him that since it was a Traffic Detail, not "On Duty" if He didn't sue the person who hit him, they would be suing him for Medical costs.  As for the timeline, if the lawsuit was just settled recently than the 5 years since the date of the Accident isnt applicable.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:43:35 AM EDT
I'm ok with this.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:43:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By John-in-austin:
His medical bills should have gone thru worker's comp. IF anyone sues for recovery it should be them.  (Yes, it's been done in the past)
View Quote

The county is self insured. The county paid his expenses. The county is *required* to recover reasonable costs from the judgement.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:44:17 AM EDT
They're self-insured, so they had to eat the losses, and are now forced to sue a widow for the money.

Way to go, fellas.  Hope you enjoyed saving $10k/year on premiums.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:46:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Aimless:
County went after them for medical pay after they got money from a lawsuit. That kind of lien would be fairly common here and was probably something they knew was coming if their lawyer was competent
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:50:58 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:53:29 AM EDT
Originally Posted By tc556guy:
View Quote

That was my thought as well.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:00:16 AM EDT
Never understood these things.

A guy I know lost his daughter and her boyfriend in an accident.  She was driving, lost control on icy roads and hit a semi head on.  The estranged, adult sister of the dead boyfriend then sued the dead girl's Dad and won.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:03:23 AM EDT
This is akin to your employer suing your estate to recover financial losses on the unfinished project sitting on your desk and your future value to the company in the name of shareholder interests ... oh, and to recover the company's portion of the life insurance premium ... and when you look at how heavily subsidized those packages usually are, I guess the company could argue for the majority of the benefit.  

Grrrrrrrreat!
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:07:48 AM EDT

View All Quotes

The medical recovery to the county makes sense - that stuff is common.  The lost wages part is truly bizarre and, hopefully, owed solely to the confusion of the journalist.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:12:14 AM EDT
Concerning the medical bills, if the county is self-insured and paid them, the concept of subrogation applies. Presumably the family recovered for those bills from the party at fault and is now obligated to reimburse the county.
The obligation to reimburse does not arise until there is a recovery. The county could not have insisted on payment of the bills before this time.

Concerning the "lost wages" either that is mis-reported or there is some quirk in the state law.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:17:32 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Doodlebug:
This for medical bills? The article wasn't really clear. You would think being a county employee he would have had insurance to cover it.
View Quote

This, especially since the article made it sound like he was on duty and going to help another officer.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:45:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/24/2016 9:47:24 AM EDT by therooster]
nvm....

the story doesnt sound right.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:49:00 AM EDT
Originally Posted By QuanticoTactical:
The blue-haired daughter claims to have PTSD.  Maybe she can hook up with Palin's son.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:49:37 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BIKECOP29:
View Quote

First thought that entered my mind.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:55:15 AM EDT
View Quote

They said the county self insured.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:56:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/24/2016 10:03:46 AM EDT by Extorris]
Originally Posted By RABIDFOX50:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RABIDFOX50:
County went after them for medical pay after they got money from a lawsuit. That kind of lien would be fairly common here and was probably something they knew was coming if their lawyer was competent

This.
When I had a lawsuit my lawyer had the other side add the medical bills on top of the settlement they offiered because of that.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:58:45 AM EDT
Originally Posted By bjohnson425:

View All Quotes
The blue-haired daughter claims to have PTSD.  Maybe she can hook up with Palin's son.

This.

Boy. That's kind a dickish thing to say Quantico. You ever lose a parent at a young age and come across the wreck?
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:04:08 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BIKECOP29:
View Quote

That was mentioned in the article. Only 2 years apparently.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:05:19 AM EDT
View Quote

Um, what?
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:05:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/24/2016 10:08:07 AM EDT by Extorris]
Originally Posted By Hyperformer:

This.
Boy. That's kind a dickish thing to say Quantico. You ever lose a parent at a young age and come across the wreck?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hyperformer:

This.

And then he wonders why Arfcommers buy stuff from his competitors instead of from him.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:08:14 AM EDT
I don't understand how the family would be liable for anything being's that it happened while he was on the job.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:09:53 AM EDT
View Quote

It's not quite that simple. When my daughter was killed we had medical insurance that paid the medical bills.  After the court system convicted the driver who caused the accident, automobile insurance paid to the limits of the policies and our medical insurer tried to subrogate the automobile insurance benefits to repay the medical insurance benefits.  The medical insurer used the same argument that is put forward in the article...<<Fort Bend claims it "has been deprived" and "is entitled to the first monies paid by any third party.>>

Of course this ended up back in court.  Their attempt to subrogate was denied except for the $1000 medical payment clause in the auto policy.  Of course, most of the insurance benefits went to pay lawyers.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:10:39 AM EDT
View Quote

This........had a guy I work with get broadsided while sitting at a red light at work by a drunk driver.........injured bad, placed on workmans comp,couldn't go back to work, guy can barely walk now.  He was medically retired.

He sued.........and won a healthy settlement......he had to pay back the what he collected on his retirement at that point because he sued for lost wages that he would have made if he was able to work.......which by law he did, especially as the settlement was worth far more than what his retirement pension.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:11:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By John-in-austin:
View Quote

Yeah, insurance should have covered medical........I don't get that part........even if self insured
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:13:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/24/2016 10:14:15 AM EDT by gsepper]
My blood isn't boiling.
View Quote

Nor is mine, SOP, same thing would happen if it were you or me and our employer's medical plan (or comp) had paid the bills.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top