Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2008 12:20:31 PM EDT
It seems that I'm on my way to the blogging deadspot of OIF.  I've found very little information about this FOB, which I should be at inside ten days.

Without violating OPSEC can anyone tell me anything about this FOB?  Originaly I was slated to go to Warhorse/Freedom but another section picked up on that once and since they had the brass...
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#1]
If it is near the Iran border, Diyala province, I can tell you about it.
It is due east of Warhorse, and Balad Rouge.

Mostly a good FOB, no big PX, but I left in 2005.

If you have specific questions just let me know, but remember, it's been awhile since I was there.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 10:33:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I visited FOB Caldwell once in 2005.  It is about the same size at Warhorse, but with actual concrete buildings and some real roads.  PX was unit-run and had only the essentials.  It didn't seem like a bad place to be at.

Balad Ruz was nasty.  I remember driving nervously through it.  Later in June 2005, 16 or so IA soldiers were killed in Balad Ruz during an attack.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm there now.  Plenty of phones and internet are available. One of the local national shops just opened up wireless internet service. Bring your own computer and it's $2 per hour.

Everywhere you want to go is a very short walk away. It's a small place. I like it. I just hate my unit.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top