Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2001 10:12:01 AM EDT
I was at the gun show this weekend and besides buying a B West AK that I found out is garbage, I looked for a few AR parts and everything I saw for sale were labeled FN. My buddy that owns several AR's said stay away. He said FN stands for "Don't F@$%kin Know" what it is.....
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 12:42:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll let someone else who is an expert verify this, BUT, I am of the opinion that FN makes quality products.  I thought they supplied stuff for military application.

In fact, isn't FN the same as Fabrique Nationale???  if so - some of the best FALs EVER made.

James
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 12:47:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, FN also makes the browning Hi-Power, also the FN Minimi (M249 SAW to the us military).  As far as I know they are a decent company, but I don't know anything about FN AR's.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 12:50:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, FN is Fabrique Nationale.

They hold the current M16 contract with the military.  Underbid Colt.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 1:21:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Poyers book "The M-16/AR-15 rifle" states:
"Recently, upper recievers from Fabrique Nationale have also been seen in the marketplace. FN has long manufactured M16 rifles for the military at their plant in Maryland. The author owns an FN upper reciever (they do not sell lower recievers) and has examined several others. Except for the slightly deeper sandblasting on the outer surface and the darker gray parkerizing, there do not seem to be any differences from any of the other uppers examined. Most M16/AR15 upper recievers are unmarked, but a few do carry manufacturers codes"
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 1:47:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#6]
The current issue M16A2 is marked F.N.MFG,INC. Columbia,South Carolina. I have been maintaining M16's for quit awhile as a member of the U.S Army and currently as a member of the U.S. Army National Guard. I have had good luck with these rifles. I have no doubt that I can grab any rifle out of the arms room,zero it and qualify expert. The stuff you see about matching finish is true. The F.N. rifles I have seen do not have matching color upper and lower recievers. I don't think it really makes much difference how it looks its how it shoots and holds up under harsh conditions that makes a rifle worth a damn.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 2:03:12 PM EDT
[#7]
And by the way. If F.N. made a semiauto postban version of the rifle they supply to Uncle Sam I would standing in line to get mine right now. Don't pass up parts that you know are made by F.N. they are as good as you can get. I have had to do very little to maintain our units rifles other than to replace small stuff like handguards. I have seen these things take a real beating and still be right on target.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 2:37:25 PM EDT
[#8]
If a "made in the U.S.A." 5.56 FN, is the same quality as a made in Belgium 7.62 FN; they must be top notch...My FAL is 21 years old...bought it brand new...and it still shoots a less than a 1" group..(off the bench)
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 5:38:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Our unit's A-2's are about 50%FN, 50% rebuilt A1(lowers, probably FN uppers) My Issue is a rebuilt H&R lower.  The FN A2's are excellent.  My only problem is I would have preferred a US-based company get the contract, rather than a foreign company setting up a US plant(My feelings are the same about Beretta) Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Garand Shooter:
FN's plant is in Columbia, SC not Maryland. I am issued a FM M-16A2, and it is a very nice unit (in fact, I just got reassigned an UNFIRED one!!!).
View Quote

Yea, I thought one of the Carolinas also but that was quoted directly from Poyers book, stated above, page 56 paragraph 7
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 9:35:46 PM EDT
[#11]
FN made one of mine. The FNC is an excellent rifle.  I have also seen FN M-16's at my unit.

[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1277466&a=9460188&p=46364431&Sequence=0[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top