Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2003 6:29:37 PM EDT
Hello all.  I recently traded for a complete pre-ban Bushmaster lower receiver (checked with Bushmaster, confirmed pre-ban status).  Last week I ordered a 20" upper receiver/barrel assembly in pre-ban configuration.  It comes with the A2 Bird-Cage Flash Hider, Bayonet Lug, etc.

This is a dumb question...but if I ever want to change flash suppressors, or add a muzzle brake instead, or ditch both all together...can I just unscrew the A2 Bird Cage, and screw-on a new one?

Also, should I get the Phantom flash suppressor Bushmaster offers, or stick with the A2 style?  I doubt my order has shipped, so I could call them and tell them to swap it out.  Any companies out there that make a better threaded flash suppressor than the ones Bushmaster offers?

Thanks ya'll!

- JMC1035
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#1]
To remove the flash supressor, you have to drive out the pin and then unscrew.  I like the milspec supressor better than the bird cage.  If you decide to add nothing, you will need to put a threaded collar on the muzzle to protect the threads.  [b]Don't install a muzzle brake!!![/b]  Although I have one on my 20" expedition from J&T, they are a good bit louder and recoil is not enough on the AR to justify needing one.  I only got it because t is the closest looking thing I could put on a post ban.  You would actually be better off removing the flash supressor, recrowning the barrel and having it magnaported than installing a muzzle brake.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#2]
First off, If you care about 'legalities', did you make sure that the receiver was in 'preban' condition prior to Sept '94, ie just because it was manufacturered prior to 9-94 it isnt necessarily preban according to the ATF it had to have actually met the definition of an assault weapon prior to 9-94 to be a 'preban'.  There has even been some discussion that the ATF has claimed that a 'transfer' in a 'stripped lower', or one that does not meet 'assault weapon' condition negates the 'preban' status of the lower.

On to your questions:

1- Yeap.

2- up to you, I wouldnt bother on a 20"

3- Yes, they are usually pretty good about customer service

4- The Vortex is about the best, then the Phantom, then the Birdcage.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:03:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies.  Yes, according to Bushmaster, the serial number I provided was confirmed to once be "a complete pre-ban rifle, assembled prior to September 1994".  What the previous owner did with the upper receiver/barrel assembly is beyond me.  I even had my local gunsmith check for any M16 parts that shouldn't be there.  So, I'm all covered on the legal matters.

Why shouldn't I put a flash suppressor on a 20" barrel?  Would it not be effective?

FYI, I plan on buying a pre-ban carbine upper in the future with the same features, so I can swap them out whenever the need arises.  (Carbine for home defense, Rifle for the range and field)

Thanks again for your advice!

- JMC1035
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:49:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Just stick to the standard A2 flash hider on a 20". There is no reason to worry about changing anything out. Be sure to get a bayonet lug and enjoy your pre-ban status.

Edited to add: On preban, milspec, flash hiders there is no pin or anything, they just screw off. Therefore changing one out, if you desire, is no big deal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top