Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2001 4:33:00 PM EDT
What is the going rate for a semi auto FNC, in 95-98% condition?

Anything inparticular to look out for?

Thanks,

fuatos
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 4:53:43 PM EDT
[#1]
If anyone knows, it AFARR on this board.  
He's got one, I shot it. Sweet ass guns.  
c-rock
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 6:50:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I was looking to buy one before my cash flow stopped.  (Unemployed.)  I found them anywhere from $1,700-$3,000.  (The $3k one was NIB and had all sorts of goodies with it.)

I didn't buy one due to problems locating spare parts.  (I'd rather NOT have an expensive club if the wrong part goes bad.)

There was one other thing--  [u]nobody[/u] knew a d*mn thing about this firearm!  The most informative guy I found informed me that he had half a dozen in the 80's and that they didn't sell because AR15's were "the same thing, fired the same round, etc., etc., etc."

I finally gave up, and then the money stopped.  Thus, no FNC for me.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 7:05:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know anything about pricing and such. But I carried the Swedish version of the FNC when I was in the service, so if you have any other questions I'd be more than happy to help.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 8:04:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Some folks say that firing pins can break under sustained full auto fire. I've put many many mags through my semi version without incident. However, I do have a spare firing pin. One thing I would look out for is the ejection pattern. The fixed ejector really tosses brass a long way(50-75 feet).

[img]http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/Wadman/AR-FNC.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 8:42:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Did I hear someone take my name in Vain???

Apparently I am a legend in my own mind (er, I mean time).

I just sent Fuatos an e-mail response, but I will tack on a little info here--

The FNC is an EXCELLENT gun.  Parts don't break on it very easily.  I have just recently corresponded to a Belgian army officer who is trying to sell some FNC parts over here.  He reports that he has never seen breakage on the FNC's over years of use.  Parts do get lost, but they don't seem to break.  The biggest thing the M-16/AR-15 series has over the FNC is it's interchangeable uppers.  The FNC gas mechanism is a better design, and the folding stock is SUPERBE!!  I talked to a guy that had experience with one of the early sear conversion guns, and he claimed that the firing pin breakage problem involved the timing being slightly off--the hammer would hit the firing pin at a slight angle instead of dead on.  The newer conversions may have the problem fixed.  Most parts are relatively simple to make for a good machinist, or they can be found if necessary--you just can't call up your local guy and ask for a firing pin, like you can for the AR-15/M-16 rifles.  It is still the issue arm for the Belgians, Swedes, and Indonesians (last time I checked)--so there are ways (legally) to get parts.  

At $2000 for the gun and $2000 for a sear conversion (sear, installation and 3 rd. burst mechanism) it is still an excellent deal in a full auto.

AFARR
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 10:30:09 PM EDT
[#6]
You know, I just learned more here about the FNC than I did in the last half a year.

AR15.Com...  Unbelievable!  Thanks for the help, guys.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 4:55:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the input!!!  Now I'm going to have to buy...  I'll let you know tonight after work.  

Any place to get extra parts and accessories???

Thanks,

fuatos
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 5:46:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's one place that has some parts:

[url]www.cole-distributing.com[/url]

If your purchase comes with one or more FNC magazines, keep good care of them. They were $50 each back in 1988. Who knows what they are now. FNC mags are almost like AR mags except the floorplate is held in place by the spring and the body is steel. Very nice mags. Also, early FNC mags had a steel follower that doesn't have the extension that would trigger the bolt hold-open of an AR-15/M-16.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 6:00:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Here's one place that has some parts:

[url]www.cole-distributing.com[/url]
View Quote

And here's some of their prices:

FNC Rifle Parts
3 shot burst kit complete w/pawl, spring & axel - $249.95 plus shipping.
3 shot burst kit complete w/3 shot hammer - $284.95
3 shot rebuild kit, contains the following: pawl, spring & axel - $59.95 plus shipping.
Bolt w/extracter - $129.95 plus shipping.
Carbon scrapping tool - $39.95 plus shipping.
Cleaning kit, fits in the grip handle - $29.95 plus shipping.
Flash hider, long type - $29.95 plus shipping.
Grip handle, improved grip - $29.95 plus shipping.
Hammer (stripped) - $69.95 plus shipping.
Hammer complete 3 shot hammer - $84.95 plus shipping.
Operating handles - $29.95 plus shipping.

- Made in a licensed FN factory.
- These parts are replacement parts, they will not work to convert a rifle to full auto.
- 3 shot burst items sold only to legal NFA owners.
- All NFA rules apply!
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 6:01:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Did I hear someone take my name in Vain???

Apparently I am a legend in my own mind (er, I mean time).
AFARR
View Quote

Yup.
When we were at the range a couple of weeks ago, I had fun shooting the FNC.  That is a nice ass gun.  
AFARR has all the toys that everyone wants.  
c-rock
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 6:34:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the help!  I'm now the proud owner of a 18" para FNC.  Looks and feels really good...  I look forward to shooting it this Sat.

fuatos
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 6:59:56 PM EDT
[#12]
The FNC magazine is pretty rugged but don't use it in your AR-15. The steel bullet "dimple" on the mag follower is on the opposite side of the follower, using in an AR will drive the bottom locking lug hard into the dimple and gouge it out due to no bolt hold open ledge. Probably not too good for the bolt either.
Good luck with your quest, the FNC is probably one of the best conventional .223 rifles, reliable gas operation is easily switched to compensate for a dirty action with probably only half the parts of an AR, still, it's no AUG...
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the help!  I'm now the proud owner of a 18" para FNC.  Looks and feels really good...  I look forward to shooting it this Sat.
View Quote
How much did it set you back, and did it come with any goodies?
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 8:34:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I think I got a good deal.  I paid $1500 for it, without any accessories.  It really was in 95-98%.  The only wear marks was on the dust cover, where the brass would hit it.  I am so pleased.

I'm like a new dad, with his new child...

I am now looking for accessories and spare parts.  If you know where to find such things like a sling, bayonet, scope mount, firing pin, etc... I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for all your help.

fuatos
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 8:40:00 PM EDT
[#15]
DSArms sells Swiss contract FNC scope mounts.

[url]http://www.dsarms.com/otherparts.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 9:22:31 PM EDT
[#16]
The Swedish military issued some of their FNCs with the British SUSAT sight - stay clear of that POS. After 5 rounds it's lost it's sighting.

The Swiss base Wadman linked is the setup that's supposed to be used with the FNC. I have no personal experience with it, but I'm liable to trust it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 11:52:34 PM EDT
[#17]
C-rock,

SteyrAUG has the toys everyone wants (just call me mini-steyr).  

If you might want the scope mount from DSA--DON'T WAIT.  I asked about it a few weeks back, and they were backordered at that time.  I just got a call today and they are now in--it is something they get intermittently, and if you want it some time in the future, it may not be available!!

AFARR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top