Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2005 3:10:40 PM EDT
I'm ordering some .45 ammo from ammoman.com. What is the difference between the two?
Speer lawman makes both
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:12:01 PM EDT
[#1]
FMJ is a copper cup. It has exposed lead on the bottom. TMJ is usually copper plated lead, having copper on all surfaces.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#2]
ahh so the tmj would be the better plinker round
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:14:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

The better plinker round would be the cheaper of the two
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:15:38 PM EDT
[#4]
THey are about the same price
www.ammoman.com/index.htm
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:15:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The better plinker round would be the cheaper of the two

Indeed
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:19:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I think TMJ is supposed to reduce lead exposure at indoor ranges.

I may be all jacked up on that info, though.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:19:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Too bad you didnt live close to Oregon, I could get you 500 rounds of UMC FMJ ammo for $79
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:25:42 PM EDT
[#8]
TMJ is cleaner to shoot as it has no exposed lead to be vaporized by gasses and deposited in the barrel. It also reduced the amount of lead exposure to the shooter at indoor ranges.

Since a TMJ is basically a common lead bullet with thin copper plating, it can be as bad as regular lead bullets in a Glock barrel= KB. I won't shoot plated bullets out of my factory glock barrel.

FMJ has a much thicker copper layer, as it is a jacket of copper that has had a slug of lead swaged into it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top