Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 9:59:17 AM EDT
Hi guys,

Going to be driving down the turnpike from Orlando to Miami, and I want to know if anyone is aware of construction or any slow downs on the turnpike.  Should be coming down there this friday night.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:00:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Just do not go slow in the left lane.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:04:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Why the turnpike? I95 is free, and if your not a woman it's not too bad to drive on.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:06:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't. Way too expensive all around.

Take interstate 4 west (south) to Route 27, and take that south all the way to Miami.

It will take you just as long, with no tolls, and plenty of places to stop and eat or get gas without getting ripped off.

This is my route from Orlando to/from Miami all the time I take my girls to Disney.

ETA: Route 27 connects with I-75 just north of Miami, which is a perfect place to link with any number of major hiways in and around Miami. If you take 27 all the way in, it turns into Okeechobee Road, which ends at the airport.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:34:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Why the turnpike? I95 is free, and if your not a woman it's not too bad to drive on.

ETA: Ooops, Placement: and not a woman, but I will have mine with me... she is not a road-warrior type.  

EETA:  oh yeah and my best time from Coconut Grove to Woodstock, GA was 8.96 hours.  averaged 78 or so MPH

I am going all the way to coconut grove and last time 95 from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami was a cluster of construction and blue hairs pissing me off.  and that was at 10 at night.  I am coming from Atlanta too, and the most direct route is 75 to turnpike to 95 to S dixie Hwy.  I like the limited number of exits and entrances onto the road and later at night is is usually free of too many idiots.  95 always seems to me to be a congregating strip for people who don't understand that the left lane is the fast lane and that english is spoken in florida.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:20:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe there might still be some construction around the West Palm Beach area. Try posting this in the Florida Hometown forum.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:26:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the turnpike. It'll cost you about 15 bucks in the end but you can cruise 80 all the way. Avoid entering Miami near/during rush hour.

I95 sucks donkey balls.

ETA: Miami sucks donkey balls too.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:11:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd never drive on 95 if I could help it.  Construction and bad traffic the whole fucking way.  The turnpike is well worth the money.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:24:19 PM EDT
[#8]
There are couple small construction projects in places before reaching Palm Beach county and then there are couple major projects in Palm Beach County.  Do not drive on Turnpike south bound between 7:00AM to 9:00AM and north bound between 4:00PM to 6:00PM in Palm Beach, Broward or Miami-Dade county... its a giant parking lot.  From Orlando to Miami will take you 4 hours if you avoild rush hours.

If you have the time take the SR-27 as it goes through the center of the state.  A lot more interesting places to see and you can get up on the dike and see the Okeechobee lake.  Lots of interesting restaurants too.  This route will take 6 hours of driving time.

BTW. My wife and I drove from Miami to Gainesville on SR-27 and it tooks us 2 days. Two days of sight seeing and eating... a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:27:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Understatement of the week.

<--- Miami Escapee.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:28:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
BTW. My wife and I drove from Miami to Gainesville on SR-27 and it tooks us 2 days. Two days of sight seeing and eating... a lot of fun.

Did you stop at the Florida Citrus Tower?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:39:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, we spent most of our time at eating establishments.  The best food was at the BBQ place just north of Clewiston before Palmdale... I heard they closed down couple years ago  We even had boiled peanuts from a little stand just south of Sebring.    

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:46:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Take interstate 4 west (south) to Route 27, and take that south all the way to Miami.

It will take you just as long, with no tolls, and plenty of places to stop and eat or get gas without getting ripped off.

This is my route from Orlando to/from Miami all the time I take my girls to Disney.

ETA: Route 27 connects with I-75 just north of Miami, which is a perfect place to link with any number of major hiways in and around Miami. If you take 27 all the way in, it turns into Okeechobee Road, which ends at the airport.

I lived in Miami for six years, no way this is even close to taking the same time as the Turnpike.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:53:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I lived in Miami for six years, no way this is even close to taking the same time as the Turnpike.

Miami Int'l Airport to Orlando's Disney World by Turnpike is 4 hours for most drivers... if you don't get lost.  For tourist add 30 minutes.   Same trip by SR-27 is 6 hours and 30 minutes for anyone who has experience on this roads and 5 hours and 30 minutes for new comers but you'll get 2 or 3 speeding tickets along they way  

BTW. I been living in South FL (Dade and Broward) for almost 35 years and have made this trip on every possible route too many times to count.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:55:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I like the turnpike. It'll cost you about 15 bucks in the end but you can cruise 80 all the way. Avoid entering Miami near/during rush hour.

I95 sucks donkey balls.

+1... Everytime I try and get south out of Jax, FL and try I-95, I regret it.  Never again... All the dang northerner's coming to FL who can't drive and cause an accident ruins it... They should have checkpoints at the border and make 'em take a driving test before getting in

Really though, I think I took I-95 from Jax to Daytona only once out of many tries in the last 15 years without encountering an bumper-to-bumper back-up in traffic...
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#15]
STAY OFF 95!! There's way too much construction and traffic. Try to clear TP by 4 pm around the Commercial Blvd toll. I drove Commercial to Palm Beach exit on TP every day for 6 months 6am-4pm. It's an hour+ either way @ that time... but MUCH better than 95 at ANY time.

David
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:02:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I remember going to Indiantown by Turnpike in 1972 with my dad and thinking why anybody would build a highway in middle of nowhere with almost no traffic

I also remember in the 70's when drug loaded planes from South America were landing on SR-27 in Broward at night to off load drugs to waiting cars.  BAck then they used to call it "Bloody 27" due to number of people who crashed into trucks at night.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:04:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Hi guys,

Going to be driving down the turnpike from Orlando to Miami, and I want to know if anyone is aware of construction or any slow downs on the turnpike.  Should be coming down there this friday night.

Thanks

Forget the turnpike, I want to know what kind of firearm you are carrying if you are going into Miami
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:05:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

So did I.

Depends how fast you drive.

I can get from Miami to Orlando in 4 hours.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:05:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
No, we spent most of our time at eating establishments.  The best food was at the BBQ place just north of Clewiston before Palmdale... I heard they closed down couple years ago  We even had boiled peanuts from a little stand just south of Sebring.

Old South BBQ Ranch. Yes, they closed.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:07:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Forget the turnpike, I want to know what kind of firearm you are carrying if you are going into Miami

Hialeah: The third most heavily-armed country on earth.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:15:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hialeah: The third most heavily-armed country on earth.

You'll need a passport to get into Hialeah
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:21:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Nah. I can blend in.

My native people.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:27:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Miami Int'l Airport to Orlando's Disney World by Turnpike is 4 hours for most drivers... if you don't get lost.  For tourist add 30 minutes.   Same trip by SR-27 is 6 hours and 30 minutes for anyone who has experience on this roads and 5 hours and 30 minutes for new comers but you'll get 2 or 3 speeding tickets along they way  

BTW. I been living in South FL (Dade and Broward) for almost 35 years and have made this trip on every possible route too many times to count.

try to do it during daylight hours, the stretch from East Naples (Weston) to Naples over the Alligator Alley (I-75) and Krome Ave (US-27) from the County line to US41 are probably the most dangerous stretches of road at nightime.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Yep. Krome avenue can be BAD at night.

No lights, one lane each way, and maniacal South Florida drivers.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:24:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The one done up like an old west town?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:25:40 PM EDT
[#26]
better than the jersey turnpike
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:27:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I thought South Florida had the worst drivers in the country.

A couple of months ago I went to New Orleans. Now I am not so sure.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#28]
301 (if you drive the speed-limit) has a lot of small-towns to stop in...  Feels like Mayberry (old TV show for the ipod crowd) in a lot of the stops...
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:29:46 PM EDT
[#29]
in my expericnce, the 'pike is worth every penny.  the drivers on 95 are fucking retarded, and a lot more of them than on the 'pike as well.

the 'pike also runs west of the urban areas, so there are far few exits, thus people cutting over to get on to their exit, and less commuter traffic.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:16:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Well, I am going to have at least my G27 w/3 mags and my Keltec 3AT.  Generally, that is the same as I always pack down there.  My friends have some more, so I figure I am pretty good.  I might put my G22 in the glove box for the wife... She likes the light on it.

I usually try to leave ATL in the mid-afternoon so I miss the traffic in town, then I hit Orlando just after rush hour and hit the Miami area after 9 or 10.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:25:13 AM EDT
[#31]
IMHO, the turnpike is the way to go. Like someone else said its way faster than 27.

If you make frequent trips to FL you may want to consider a Sunpass transponder; they are worth their wait in gold.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top