Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2002 5:11:57 PM EDT
I am currently a Corporal with the Patrol Division of my department, certified through the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy, our training lasted 9 weeks and is State Regulated.  I would like to return to my home State of Florida and continue a career in LE, does anyone know what good my South Carolina Certification will do towards Florida Certification?

I also realize that Florida Certification is considerably longer than our 9 weeks, last time I went to the Aux Course in Lake City, Fl, (1989) full time cert was about 725 hours or so.

Additional quals are I have 20 years Active Duty Army (Retired), NCIC Terminal Certified, Police Traffic Radar Certified, Data Master BA Certified, and Advanced DUI Detection Certified for Standardized Field Sobriety Testing.  Does any of this carry over to Florida?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 4:27:02 AM EDT
[#1]
My pal left my dept here in Ohio and went to Coral Springs about 4 yrs ago. He took some type of refresher course, not a big deal as I remember....
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 6:11:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I have checked on what your asking and even had a friend from my dept to go to florida. they have a transition course its a week long. you drive and shoot and they orient you to florida law. then you have to take the florida cert test. after he did all that he had already set up a job with west palm beach county SO. he did a few weeks of fto and was on the road. i think he said it was gulf coast community college in panama city where he went.

tnrifleman
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 6:17:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I work for a medium size sheriff's office in southwest Florida. We hire leo's from around the country. They are sent to a "crossover Academy". Basically to teach Florida Laws, etc. It is only a few weeks. I don't recall how many, but not near as much as someone with no experience. We also give them 5% more pay for their experience.
I am not sure about the other certifications. Good luck. We are hiring if you like southwest florida. I believe the starting pay is around 35,000 with leo experience. Come on down!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input, I am waiting on an information packet from one of the centers that evaluates out-of-state credentials, hopefully I will qualify for the waiver and can take the state test.

Rangeman, what County are you with? I used to live in Leesburg, Fl and Lake City, Fl.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 10:20:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I am with Collier County Sheriff's Office. We are located in Naples, Fl. It is in the southwest part of the state. Our agency is the one that stopped the three Idiots who were overheard making terriost threats in a resturant in Ga. before running the toll booth on I-75
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top