Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2002 1:28:45 PM EST
A friend told me Florida has a 3 day waiting period for gun purchase if you don't have a weapons permit. How do gun shows work in Fla if that's true? Looks like it would be impossible to buy a gun at a gun show there if you have to wait 3 days and the gun show is only for 2 days. Can any knowledgable Fla resident help with some info on this? Am considering a move to Fla is reason I'm asking. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 2:03:12 PM EST
If the transaction can't be completed in person, there's a way for the vendor to ship to you at your residence, provided you filled out the 4473 in person, etc. It's "Part 2" of the 4473 form, for shipment of a firearm to your home address by the seller, and it's a pain in the ass, but it can be done. Otherwise, you'd have to pick it up at the seller's shop, or another gunshow in-state after the 3-day waiting period had concluded.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 2:40:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/28/2002 2:47:03 PM EST by imcoltsguy]
I thought Fla was a pretty progressive gun state, but this doesn't sound like it is. Seems like a 3 day wait would pretty much kill gun shows, but I see them advertised all the time so how do they even continue? Does this also prevent sales between individuals at a gun show, or can that even be done?
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:59:24 AM EST
What the commercial sellers usually do is transfer the gun to a dealer close to the buyers residence, and deliver it there. Also, most of the commercial sellers I've seen at shows have a store where you can pickl it up if convenient. Private party sales depend on the county. There is no statewide prohibition aghainst them. There is however, a provision which allows counties to restrict private sales. I have seen private sales in such counties, noone saying anything, but it is illegal as a technicality. So, it can be immediate if you are in the right county.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 11:16:27 AM EST
The 3 day wait can be avoided even if you don't have a CCW, you just need to bring a gun with you that you already own.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:33:40 AM EST
Originally Posted By Phil_A_Steen: The 3 day wait can be avoided even if you don't have a CCW, you just need to bring a gun with you that you already own.
View Quote
[b]AND..[/b] can prove it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 4:16:31 AM EST
I would assume that gun shows aren't held in counties that have such restrictions? Do any other Fla residents have a comment about how this affects their enjoyment of gun shows, or is it not as much of a hassle as it seems?
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:52:31 AM EST
I've been in florida for 6 mos. That was my first shock. I have to WAIT!! before I can pick up a gun that I am legally allowed to own?? The three day thing really sucks. Only ccw holders can avoid the wait. What a coincidence that the wait is three days and gun shows are two days long. Do you think that the anti's planned it that way?
Top Top