Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2004 9:19:15 AM EST
I'm almost done with the background portion (last part) of the hiring process for the US Capitol Police. If all goes well, I should be heading to FLETC sometime in early 2005. Just wondering if any of you guys here have gone through there and had any advice on what to expect for their Mixed Basic FLEO training.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:21:52 AM EST
haha, if it's to be a DC cop Im sure how to properly smoke crack is in there somewhere ;-)

seriously though, good luck and please don't give me a parking ticket.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:32:31 AM EST
This site is an excellent reference for all things federal LEO :

www.911jobforums.com

I am hoping that around March I will be there as well.

Doc
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:45:37 AM EST

Originally Posted By TheAmaazingCarl:
haha, if it's to be a DC cop Im sure how to properly smoke crack is in there somewhere ;-)

seriously though, good luck and please don't give me a parking ticket.

Not DC Police, US Capitol Police - i.e. Senators, Congressmen, Capitol Building. DC Metro is not a department I would like to work for. Over worked, under paid, and not my cup of tea.

I'm looking to get into dignitary protection, and USCP have a decent DPD team.

Originally Posted By DoctorNo:
This site is an excellent reference for all things federal LEO :

www.911jobforums.com

I am hoping that around March I will be there as well.

I've been a member there for some time. Can't remember my login though. I'll have to fire it back up if I can. Seems like most of the people their are aspiring FLEOs, and haven't done it yet. Kinda blind leading the blind.

Can I ask what deparment you're gonna be working for?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:49:28 PM EST
There are a lot of active agents and people already in service that answer questions about different depts. I asked questions about a SWAT team for one of the agencies I'm applying for and got two answers from two different people who are currently on the teams. You'd be suprised what you can find out.

I have 2 pending applications right now, and another starting in jan. No definite yet, but I'm fairly far along in the process.

If you're interested in protection, you should check out the USSS, the State Department's Diplomatic Security, and the US Marshalls. The latter two aren't hiring at the moment, but the vacancy announcements pop up on USAJOBS from time to time.

Doc
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:01:15 PM EST
There's a ton of federal agencies that are hiring right now.US Border Patrol,US Capitol Police,
CIA Security Protective Police,Pentagon Police,etc.

www.911jobforums.com

www.lawenforcementjobs.com
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:22:00 PM EST
FLETC is ok, but watch the eating, they feed you too well.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:40:22 PM EST

Originally Posted By MOLOT:

Heh... If you like chicken...
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:05:40 PM EST

Originally Posted By MOLOT:

I haven't been there but my dad did when he got on with the BOP and he said it was like a vacation. He said the best part about it was the food. Like a 4 star restuarant!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:19:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2004 11:19:58 PM EST by Gunslinger808]
I was there last Nov.-Dec., and generaly spend at least 2 months a year there.
It's not a bad place, just remember to keep quiet and learn.
Classes are generaly Mon-Fri., and depending on what they want you to learn, may include weekend workshops.
You will get a lot of law, P.T., probably some driving skills, and firearms.
The key is study, I have seen so many fail because they couldn't stay out of the G bar and Pam's.
The food is OK, but gets old after the fourth week.
Housing has improved since I first went in 84, now you get a private room, with a TV and phone.
Oh yeah, watch out for the local P.D. they are NOT impressed by a FLETC student, and will haul you away real quick for a D.U.I. so keep it clean!

The back gate:

One of my hang outs on St. Simons Island:
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:45:23 PM EST
Absolutely take a car (and plenty of bug spray)!!

Good luck with the job.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:39:49 PM EST

Originally Posted By 199:
Absolutely take a car (and plenty of bug spray)!!

Good luck with the job.

From what I've been told recently, a lot/most of the guys going into the Mixed-Basic FLEO classes are going to the New Mexico facility. I know there are a few agencies that don't let there guys drive/take a car. I'm hoping that I can get a car there, but I'm not too sure I'm crazy about driving to New Mexico from Ohio.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:14:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/21/2004 10:35:44 AM EST by 199]
Yeah! Ohio to Brunswick doesn’t sound bad (a couple of my co-workers actually did it on motorcycles!), but driving to Artesia from Ohio would be a bit much.

I’ve never been to Artesia, but I know Brunswick has nearby car rental agencies where you can rent something for the weekend. Maybe Artesia has something similar.

You may just have to tough it out!!

Incidentally, I don’t know if it’s still true, but at one time the Capital Police had a very highly regarded SWAT Team (which I think they call it their CERT Team or something like that).

Hope you like H&K firearms.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:46:14 PM EST

Originally Posted By Gunslinger808:

The food is OK, but gets old after the fourth week.

Oh yeah, watch out for the local P.D. they are NOT impressed by a FLETC student,]

The chicken cutlets seemed more and more dry as the days went by during my FLETC experiences at the CITP.

Regarding the locals, they aren't too impressed by FLETC students, according to my instructors because (I remember the story right) one of the sheriffs was arrested by the FBI...resulting in some in the sheriff's office not being too keen on anyone from FLETC.

....I miss my smurf suit and red gun.....not.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:48:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2004 7:48:43 PM EST by DoctorNo]
You think those drives are bad, try coming from Texas! :) Texas is so big, it takes 6 hours to get out of the state!! I'd much rather do NM, personally - I just love the desert. Either way, I'll just be happy to go at all. Got another 'conditional offer' letter today in the mail. Is the FLEO waiting game a unique right of passage, or are most fed jobs this way?

Also: Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm HK firearms.

Doc
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:37:03 AM EST
I just got back from FLETC at the end of April. I was there for the 13 week CBP Academy. I would say that out of every agency, we had the most people down there at once.

FLETC is a unique experience. The food was good in the beginning. Then it just got bland. I think I saw every different way you could cook a chicken. Being down there in the winter and early spring is also nice. By the end of April, it was starting to get really warm, and then unfortnatly I had to come back up to NY. At least the snow was gone. As a Capitol Police Officer, you'll get to do a lot of the cooler things that we didn't get to do. We didn't have the opportunity to try out the Offensive/Defensive driving course.

One word of caution.. do not, and I repeat, DO NOT drink the water!! I cannot stress that enough. The water down there is God awful. It tastes and smells like the paper mill they have on the river. If you wanna drink water, head over to St. Simons Island. A lot of good restaurants over on the island.

Living conditions... I was what was called the Taj Mahal. They built 3 new dorms/motel buildings slightly outside the gate. They had to regate the facility to include the new buildings because people were having a difficult time getting onto post. These buildings were pretty sweet. Single rooms, private bathroom. A/C. Fridge, Microwave, TV, VCR, Cable. It was a nice setup and I was fortunate to get it. There are other dorms availible closer to the gym and g-bar, they're small and you share a bathroom. Not as equiped. Then you have the really old dorms that have mold and mildew growing on the ceiling and whatnot. Depends on the luck of the draw. I left just as they were getting ready for the G8 Summit down on Sea Island. They were going to use our dorms to house the security detail.

Getting back on track. The library is nice, I mostly used it for computer training. The gym facility is awesome. Pool, a number of weight rooms, a crap load of matt rooms. The trainers their are also great, as is the medical center. They give out some great drugs for free. The FLETC Crud hit me twice while I was down there. Everyone in my 42 member class got it at least once. Your mileage may vary.

If you'd like to know anything else, shoot me an email or message.
Top Top