Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2009 10:55:57 PM EDT
I am not trained for this...

But.  I do not run.

I have a bit of clean up to do.  It's raining now..and I am thankful for that.  Alaska has been on a level three fire alert for the last month.  I'm also pretty sure what, and who started this fire.

My post in hometow:

Just another day... Not

Almost lost the house. I get home right at 5:30 pm; and as per normal, went into the bedroom and opened the window. Was browsing AR15.com in GD when I smelled what I thought was the neighbor firing up the bbq next door. I was mistaken as about a minute later (about 5:50 or so) a wall of smoke rolls in through my open window. I opened the curtain real quick... And ran through the house grabbing the fire extinguisher and the phone. Room mate was "Huh?"...on the way out the door I yelled to him "Fire, backyard"

He comes running out behind me and I yell at him to get the f'ing hose out of the basement. Extinguisher one fails....Extinguisher two fires up...I dial 9-1-1 and it puts me on hold (found out later that just about every neighbor that wasn't coming to help directly was calling 9-1-1 at the same time and the system was over capacity; neighbor shows up with his extinguisher...and between the two of us we knocked down most of it; just as both our extinguishers peter out...a gust of wind comes through and WOOSH!! More neighbors show up with buckets; I run inside grabbing towels to beat the fire with; room mate is hooking up the hose... Hose is going; fire reaches the main house...I toss the towels to neighbors that are handy and start hitting the fire that reached the house with the hose. More neighbors show up with buckets, and more hoses. House caught fire in three spots...got that knocked down...another gust of wind hits and WOOSH again. Fire rolls right past me. I yell at my roommate to get the dog out of there. Smoke was heavy enough he couldn't find him. I cut the fires direction of travel soaking everything I could hit....Sirens are approaching. The Cavalry hath arrived! I hand roomie the hose and go into the other section of the fire (mostly just smoke) grab the dog when I spotted him in the corner and put him into the house (house was safe at that point).

Fire out...Firefighters soaking everything....adren dump backs off and I start hacking pretty good (normal). I can now say I've been on 4 fires. The other three were brushfires down in E. WA. We thanked the neighbors that helped. I'll be picking up some new fire extinguishers; for myself...and if I can, a couple of the neighbors. Roomie just told me that "If you wouldn't have come home when you did, I'd still be sleeping." He's an alright guy, he's staying in my extra bedroom while he gets back on his feet, was off from work today so being a lazy bum LOL

I also have a thank you; letter to the editor to type up and send to the paper.

This makes the 4th time I've faced fire...and it has scared the living crap out of me every time.  And 20 minutes after the FD left, I hear fireworks.  I love fireworks..but freaking do not light them and throw them in dry grass as I caought the local kids doing.  We had a bit of a talk.  No cops involved....

I will let the local PD and FD know in a general sense.   How close was it?  My house has cedar siding.  I'm fairly certain any FD knows how fast that can go up.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:05:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad to hear nobody was hurt and your house survived.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:12:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Glad things ended well. I've fought two fires. One was a tiny brush fire that was near impossible to put out. The other was a larger building fire. The heat was so intense, I couldn't get close enough to spray it or use an extinguisher. Fire is some serious shit.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:19:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm gonna check your post in Hometown but before I do.
What was the cause of the fire?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:22:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow. Glad everyone was okay!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top