Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2011 7:02:08 AM EDT
http://blogs.995themountain.com/mcasey/2011/09/28/bar-codes-for-bullets

...The proposal would have every bullet in the US encoded and force buyers to have a gun permit, be at least 18, and have a driver’s license....

update: you can leave comments
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:02:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Fuck that
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:03:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:05:37 AM EDT
[#3]
so gangs stole the gun in the first place, what is going to keep them from just stealing the ammo to?
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:07:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Fuck that

First post.
Don't they have some really important shit to waste our tax dollars on instead of this bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:10:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:10:28 AM EDT
[#7]
"Mike’s Thoughts:  Maybe there’s a piece of this I’m missing.  What would be the downside to this plan?"

Mike sure is an intelligent man!
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:11:25 AM EDT
[#8]
That is insane!
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:50:09 AM EDT
[#9]
barcodes for bullets you say? Sound like a decent trade to me. I'll start clipping bar codes as soon as I get home. Can I trade for ANY caliber?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#10]

I posted a reply... and only noticed all my gramatical errors after hitting Submit. I have to say though, I am rather surprised by the small number of replies. Not only from us, but I was sure at least one person from the opposing side would have posted something. (He said he'd check for more comments awaiting approval)

I've since exchanged a few emails with the man. He seemed to take offense to me describing it as a knee-jerk reaction, pointing out that her child was shot and killed. Well... I don't know where the civil words came from, but I put together what I think is a good reply.

Cirtiques, Suggestions, etc? (only posting my reply, not his emails - would not be fair to publish his private writings)

IMHO, an incompletely thought out idea or action that springs from intense pain or trauma qualifies for that description. If there was more of a concrete plan built around the initial idea then the term would not apply. I do not deny or belittle their loss, but I also do not think that viable answers spring up fully formed from the middle of such pain.

I see this as a four step process.

- traumatic event triggers a "Do Something" reflex

- an idea crystallizes "Do Something" into "Do This"

- the "How Can We" aspect of the "Do This" is explored

- the "Should We Really" of the "Do This" is explored.

In this barcoding idea, I see step one and two. I can't identify much, if any of steps 3 and 4.

On the topic of approved comments, I really am curious about them. Not so much those of people who think the way I do, but those who support the plan. Its not to gloat and call them disparaging names though... I really want to know how they envision a practical implementation of the idea.

Have a good weekend,

Bill

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I've called him out on his liberal leanings, he doesn't like it, and he still keeps on.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:54:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Sandpaper FTMFW!
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:58:53 PM EDT
[#13]
One guy has been lobbying for this for years.  He holds a patent to do it.  Claims lots of progress at the state level - and those claims are complete BS.  They have ALWAYS been BS.

Don't get worked up about it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top