Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2004 2:44:02 PM EDT
Courtesy of Ohioans For Concealed Carry:  www.ohioccw.org  Please, make the call and send an email.  Hammer them.  Cross post to other boards and call them like a Chicago Democrat...early and often.  Call and write and tell them that you will not shop at any of their stores, anywhere in the country until the signs are down everywhere

Ohioans who chose to bear arms for self-defense are being discriminated against by a national company that does business here.

Headquartered in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, NationsRent has years of experience with doing business in concealed carry states. It is likely that CHL-holders have shopped at NationsRent locations while armed on literally millions of occasions.

Ohioans For Concealed Carry members and supporters were among those frequent (and armed) customers while living in other states, such as Indiana, Florida, Tennessee and Texas.

Although our initial search is by no means exhaustive, we have been unable to locate a single negative incident involving a CHL-holder inside a NationsRent store nationwide. In fact, in a conversation with OFCC, a representative of the company admitted he knew of no problems regarding CCW in any of their stores, anywhere in the country, or any problems with CCW in general, anywhere.

Despite all of these facts, NationsRent has placed "no-guns" signs in its Ohio stores.

The company representative stated that NationRent "hopes the signs keep all the guns out." When told that posting does nothing to make his stores safer, but instead may make them more attractive to criminals the representative claimed, "that is an opinion."

How else can Ohio residents interpret this move but that NationsRent doesn't trust residents of Ohio to practice the same responsibility that has been exercised in their stores by residents of so many others? When we pointed out this hypocracy, the representative we spoke with announced that they are going to look into banning in all other NationsRent stores nationwide. Of course, he could give no answer why they never posted anywhere else, but now feel a need to.

As has been demonstrated in many "no-guns" businesses in Ohio - criminals, by definition, do not care about prohibitions, and will certainly ignore, or perhaps even be drawn to, stores that advertise that their customers' have been rendered defenseless by company policy. Does the company honestly think that criminals will obey the signs (which they could have put up years ago)?

NationsRent operates 226 locations in over 30 states, nearly all of which have a long history of successful concealed carry laws.

If you have a comment about NationsRent, the company's website encourages feedback, and says "we'll make it happen for you. No sweat."

NationsRent (Home Office)
450 E. Las Olas Boulevard, 14th Floor
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33301
Telephone: (954) 760-6550
Fax: (954) 760-6565

[email protected]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:59:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Never heard of 'em...  What do they sell/rent?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I sent them a message after seeing this on ofcc.org.
Got a reply in about 15 minutes stating they would send it to regional management for my area.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:34:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I sent them a message after seeing this on ofcc.org.
Got a reply in about 15 minutes stating they would send it to regional management for my area.

That's store manager speak for "fuck off and leave me alone"
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:35:19 PM EDT
[#4]
They rent everything from power tools and pressure washers to dumptrucks and forklifts.  They also handle tool rental for many Lowe's stores.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:27:45 AM EDT
[#5]
bump for the morning crew..
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:45:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Am I the only one who just doesn't care when I see these signs?

If the gun is concealed, who the fuck's gonna know better?

If the gun has to come out, they shit is hitting the fan so bad that I am actually in fear for my life, and I'm not going to give a shit about a trespassing charge.

ETA: Nonetheless, I did speak my mind:

I cannot believe how naive your management actually is.

Do you honestly believe that a stick up man's going to pass your store by because the he sees the "no guns" sign on the door?  How infantile can you actually be?

Since you have taken the self-defense option out of the hands of your law abiding customers, does this mean that you are assuming legal liability for anyone injured or killed during a violent crime committed in one of your stores?

I sincerely hope one of your stores gets hit by a robber once you put up your pathetic little signs.

SWO Daddy
Troy, Ohio

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:49:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

If the gun is concealed, who the fuck's gonna know better?

If the gun has to come out, they shit is hitting the fan so bad that I am actually in fear for my life, and I'm not going to give a shit about a trespassing charge.

I totally agree.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#8]
bump...make the call.  Help out us Ohioans.  We are fighting a battle against the banners, and a win here would really help.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:20:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I care, because it reinforces the false assumption that having a gun on the premesis is always dangerous and undesirable. Calling them out on it serves 2 purposes:

1. It makes them realize (perhaps for the first time) that their assumptions may be wrong, and
2. It makes them realize that the signs may cost them some business and create a negative image among some groups.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:28:51 AM EDT
[#10]

1.  As a private business, they have the right to make the rules in their store.

2.  As private citizens we have the right to boycott them.

3.  If you do decide to break their silly rules, the worst they can do is kick you out of their store.  They aren't law makers and their policy has no legal effect.  (they can't have you arrested for breaking their private rules)  

Zen

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top