BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2006 7:42:21 AM EDT

Dave's Story

L.A. Cop Killer Arrested; Won't Face Death Penalty

Updated: February 24th, 2006 03:24 PM EDT

JEREMIAH MARQUEZ
Associated Press Writer

A fugitive captured by Mexican police in the 2002 slaying of a Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy could be extradited in two months, and prosecutors plan to seek a life sentence, the district attorney said Friday.

Mexican authorities arrested Jorge Arroyo Garcia on Thursday in the city of Tonala in western Jalisco state, according to a statement from the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City.

Los Angeles County District Attorney Steve Cooley said in an interview with The Associated Press that prosecutors want to seek the death penalty. But they can't because of a 1978 treaty between the United States and Mexico that allows Mexico to deny extradition if a person faces the death penalty.

"I'd flip the switch," Cooley said in an interview.

Instead, authorities will press for a life sentence without the possibility of parole.

Mexico's Supreme Court in November ruled that suspects facing life in prison can be extradited, overturning a ban that had prevented many criminal suspects from being sent to the United States.

Arroyo Garcia, a Mexican national who also goes by the first name Armando, is the lead suspect in the shooting death of Los Angeles County sheriff's Deputy David March, 33, during a traffic stop in Irwindale, California, in April 2002.

U.S. Ambassador Tony Garza said in a statement that the arrest "was the result of investigative persistence and close cooperative efforts between the United States Marshals Service and Mexico's Federal Investigative Agency."

He said the United States has 60 days to file a request for Arroyo Garcia's extradition.

Sheriff Lee Baca said sheriff's homicide detectives would be sent immediately to Mexico.

U.S. marshals and Mexican police worked together on the case and were staking out the home of one of the fugitive's uncles when Arroyo Garcia himself walked out of the house, Baca said. The fugitive surrendered peacefully.

I remember ATL'ing this guy as it was thought he may flee thru my area. Too bad we can't inject this sorry POS.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:44:03 AM EDT
[#1]
That's some good news to hear.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:46:50 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
www.deputydavidmarch.com/DptDavidMarch_4.jpg
Dave's Story

L.A. Cop Killer Arrested; Won't Face Death Penalty

Updated: February 24th, 2006 03:24 PM EDT

JEREMIAH MARQUEZ
Associated Press Writer

A fugitive captured by Mexican police in the 2002 slaying of a Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy could be extradited in two months, and prosecutors plan to seek a life sentence, the district attorney said Friday.

Mexican authorities arrested Jorge Arroyo Garcia on Thursday in the city of Tonala in western Jalisco state, according to a statement from the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City.

Los Angeles County District Attorney Steve Cooley said in an interview with The Associated Press that prosecutors want to seek the death penalty. But they can't because of a 1978 treaty between the United States and Mexico that allows Mexico to deny extradition if a person faces the death penalty.

"I'd flip the switch," Cooley said in an interview.

Instead, authorities will press for a life sentence without the possibility of parole.

Mexico's Supreme Court in November ruled that suspects facing life in prison can be extradited, overturning a ban that had prevented many criminal suspects from being sent to the United States.

Arroyo Garcia, a Mexican national who also goes by the first name Armando, is the lead suspect in the shooting death of Los Angeles County sheriff's Deputy David March, 33, during a traffic stop in Irwindale, California, in April 2002.

U.S. Ambassador Tony Garza said in a statement that the arrest "was the result of investigative persistence and close cooperative efforts between the United States Marshals Service and Mexico's Federal Investigative Agency."

He said the United States has 60 days to file a request for Arroyo Garcia's extradition.

Sheriff Lee Baca said sheriff's homicide detectives would be sent immediately to Mexico.

U.S. marshals and Mexican police worked together on the case and were staking out the home of one of the fugitive's uncles when Arroyo Garcia himself walked out of the house, Baca said. The fugitive surrendered peacefully.

I remember ATL'ing this guy as it was thought he may flee thru my area. Too bad we can't inject this sorry POS.

That makes no fucking sence, just because Mexico won't exradite if we go after the death penalty, doesn't mean they can't go for it once this POS is back inthe US. Which they should do.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:51:57 AM EDT
[#3]
They'd never extradite the next asshole they illegally export if they killed this one.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:04:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
They'd never extradite the next asshole they illegally export if they killed this one.

Very true unfortunetly. I guess we have to take the "small" victory that getting his ass into our justice system so he can be delt with. To bad he can't have an accident, while in transport or something.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:22:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Let him have his life sentence, atleast some justice will be served
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:36:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:28:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sad but true.

POS.

Bubba needs a new cellmate.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:26:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Terrible "accidents" can be arranged in prison.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:29:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Some good news.  After that Mexican Supreme Court ruling the U.S. Marshal's have been operating teams in alliance with Mexican Federales on a TDY basis.  So far they have been very successful and I hope that they can keep it going.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:04:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Too bad we can't let him serve it in a prison in  Juarez.  I bet he'd enjoy that.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:18:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Good news

SCUMBAGS will always get theirs in the end
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top