Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2010 6:57:22 PM EDT
Dragged back from the archives since I never found anything out the first go-round.

Any ideas? It appears to made of copper, no date or anything. Eagle with a star on it's chest on one side holding six arrows and a branch with what appears to be seven leaves. Th other side has the number 10 with lines radiating out of it surrounded by wheat. No date or anything, not sure if it's a coin, some sort of medallion, a necklace or what. It's got a bit of crust on the top that may have been a loop or a necklace or something along those lines, or it may just be corrosion from being buried.

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 7:03:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 7:08:43 PM EDT
[#2]
So it has something at the top like this one?

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Civil war finial.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:07:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So it has something at the top like this one?

http://www.flintski.com/10_eagle_rope_pend.jpg

Yeah, at least that's what I think it looks like.  You can kind of see it at the top of both pictures; a little bit better on the bottom picture.  It's really just a little nub about half as big as a grain of rice; it looks to me like it might have been where a ring was but it got twisted/broken off.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:20:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Early poker chip?

Is the rim a separate piece, or part of the coin?  (looks like part of the coin to me)

Since it has a number '10' on it, it represented 10 somethings at one time I'd think.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Early poker chip?

Is the rim a separate piece, or part of the coin?  (looks like part of the coin to me)

Since it has a number '10' on it, it represented 10 somethings at one time I'd think.

All one piece.

I've had a couple postulations that it might have been something along the lines of a Civil War era 10th Inf. Div. medallion.  For where it was found, 10th OVI would make sense in case there are any subject matter experts around to confirm or deny.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:47:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Bump for input from the day-walkers.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:57:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I bet that the Pawn Stars guy would have an expert come in and figure it out, then offer you 15%.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:45:48 AM EDT
[#9]
lol...when I reposted the thread from the archives that same thought had crossed my mind.  I figured Mark the coin guy or Dana the artifact guy would have some input.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 3:41:09 PM EDT
[#10]
another bump
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 3:44:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Post it to the TreasureNet "what is it" forum.

Guarantee you will find the answer there.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/board,14.0.html
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:02:45 PM EDT
[#12]
The treasurenet thing sounds like a good idea.  OP, maybe if you add the picture again you will get some more info...

Is there anything on the rim that indicates that it had a loop of some sort attached at one time?  That's a possible clue also.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Post it to the TreasureNet "what is it" forum.

Guarantee you will find the answer there.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/board,14.0.html

Awesome site; thanks for the idea.  I posted it up over there.  If/when I find out, I'll report back.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:01:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow, that really didn't take long at all:

Its called a radiant eagle game counter. They're called "game counters" because they were used in much the same manner as poker chips or play money.

http://www.treasurenet.com/cgi-bin/treasure/westeast/askmarkparker.pl/Show?_id=200304&sort=DEFAULT&search=counter%20

It's been about 60 years since I found this item in northeastern Colorado, but I've never managed to find out much about it. So, any information you can offer would be welcome.

A lot of other folks have been searching for details about it, too, but to little avail. It's called a "Radiant Eagle" game counter, and over 20 varieties have been reported. Some are as small as a dime; others, a little larger than a silver dollar. Denominations include 2-1/2 ( or 250), 5, 10, 20, 50, and 1.00. They exist in brass, gilt brass, silver-gilt brass, gilt pewter, and aluminum. Some are coin-like; some have watch-stem loops, like yours. They're called "game counters" because they were used in much the same manner as poker chips or play money. When they first appeared is anybody's guess, but at least the aluminum ones can't be much over 100 years old. Value? $15-20.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top