Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2001 9:38:38 PM EDT
Can licensed firearms dealers obtain law enforcement weapons, i.e., ARs w/bayonet lugs, flash hiders, etc., strictly to sell to law enforcement personnel or can they keep them as personal firearms?  Would they have to surrender (sell) said firearms if they gave up their licenses?

Bud
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 9:41:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes you may keep them in inventory to sell to LEOs and other dealers as long as your license is current.

No you cannot keep them.  They must be sold to another dealer or LEO once you give up your license.

LEOs can keep them after leaving law enforcement IF they give them to the department they worked for, and have them presented or issued permenantly upon retirement (never seen it happen though).

Saleen
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 9:43:10 PM EDT
[#2]
saleen,

Thank you for the information.

Bud
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 9:52:14 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have an FFL you can no longer sell guns privately even if you owned them prior to obtaining your FFL.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 10:40:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Incorrect. Any personal firearms owned before licensing must be kept in a separate location from your inventory or tagged personal firearm not for sale. Any of these firearms may be sold privatly without going through your license or books.

Also any firearm that you get in on your license and you log it out to yourself as a personal firearm for more than 1 yr may also be sold personally without going through your license or books.

Some dealers log every gun out as personal then log them back in just as they are sold. That way upon an ATF compliance visit there is no inventory on the books for ATF to reveiw. I will choose not to do that because I would rather not incite ATF to inspect me closer.

[url]http://www.mindspring.com/~uziforme/index.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 11:18:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Any guns on premisis of the FFL address must be recorded in he inventory log or a repair log.  As for logging guns in and out to have no invetory for compliance checks sounds shady at best.  I cannot believe an FFL holder would even consider this.
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 3:33:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top