Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2002 9:56:38 PM EDT
I was just arguing with somebody about the usual 4473 misinformation...

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=154233&page=2[/url]

and I sourced the ATF website and the CURRENT requirement said 4473s need to be held for [b]20[/b] years. Then I check the current 4473 forms (the ones they sent out after 9-11) and they ALSO say [b]20 years[/b].

When did they freaking double it and how did it happen? Where was the NRA? And why no outcry?
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 10:01:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Most likely, the increase in time that the dealer has to hold these records was an internal administrative change and not part of any kind of legislative change in the law granting the ATF their charter.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 10:35:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Go back to the beginning of 4473

It was supposed to serve as a "checklist" for a dealer to verify that the buyer was qualified to purchase/own a firearm.

Basic questions:
Are you a felon?
Have you renounced U.S. Citizenship?
Dishonorable discharge?

Also a dealer used to be able to sell to [u]a person who is known to me.[/u] thats gone.

I don't know how many 4473 I have trashed because just as soon as they finally deliver more, they revise it again and have to send out another load...
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 11:26:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Also guns well made are to last a lifetime,so forms and links should be just that!

And if you got out of the bussiness so to say you would have to keep these records handy for that many years!   There are many people getting out of the gun bussiness just for that reason!

I love to buy and use guns so I don't mind the paperwork on my end,as I know about the paperwork on your end!

It's not so bad now but bet later it will cost much more to have a gun transfered!

Good luck    Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 3:35:28 AM EDT
[#4]
There should be a date at the bottom of the form.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top