Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2004 11:32:51 PM EDT
Is this legal??

Can I purchase lets say 3 recievers to perhaps get a better price and and have them sent to my ffl. But instead of  me filling out all the recievers in my name have 2 other people that want a reiever do the 4473 for the other 2 in their name.

Would this be considered a straw purchase?

Basicly we wish to pool our money to get a good price but transfer to each individual.

Thank
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 11:36:32 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as everyone is legal there's no problem at all with this.  A straw purchase would be if you bought them with the intention of giving or selling them to someone that doesn't qualify for the purchase.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:51:09 AM EDT
[#2]
A straw purchase is not dependent on purchasing a firearm for a prohibited person. A straw purchase occurs when you purchase a firearm on a 4473 and you are not the actual purchaser. Making a false statement on the 4473 would be charge 1. If you subsequently transferred the firearm to a prohibited person that would be charge 2.

If you are purchasing the firearm as a gift for someone else you are the actual purchaser and that is not a straw purchase. If you are purchasing the firearm for someone else you are not the actual purchaser and that is a straw purchase.

Wash-Ar15, what you indend to do is not a straw purchase.  If you filled out the 4473 as the actual purchaser when in fact you were not that would be a straw purchase.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:59:59 AM EDT
[#3]
What you propose is Perfectly legal, it's a group buy.

What would be illegal is if you filled out the 4473 for all three but took payment from the other two buyers and simply gave them their receiver, you were not the actual buyer of the other two receivers.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:05:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you really going to be saving money buying only 3? Remember to factor in shipping charges and transfer fees.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:51:37 AM EDT
[#5]
The purpose of the question on the 4473 isn't about who is actually forking over the cash for the item, it's about who is actually receiving the firearm.  As long as they have filled out the 4473's when the stuff arrives, it is perfectly legal.

Woody
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top