Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2006 10:04:57 AM EDT
I'm trying to buy a Thompson, found out the trip is alot longer than i thought it was.Can he do this, and not get me put in prison?

checked the regs both for the feds and the state. I can ship it to you directly for two reasons. It is a personal weapon that was owned 1 1/2 years before I even became a dealer. The other reason is as long as you are in the state you can receive it without going through a FFL. Only if it gets shipped outside the state does it need to go through a FFL.

So if you want it, all I would need from you is a copy of your drivers license, some kind of statement saying you are not banned from owning firearms due to domestic violence or criminal activity and of course a USPS MO and I can get it out to you to your home.

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:09:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, face-to-face transfers inside a state also allow shipping between the individuals living inside the same state.

I've never done it, and so the thought makes me a touch nervous too, but it is allowed.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:11:29 AM EDT
[#2]
So its ok with him being an ffl?
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:11:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds to me like he's selling it to you as a private party transfer, not as the FFL.  He says he can do this because he owned the gun before being an FFL.

I'm no FFL so I can't comment on those rules, but I believe the risk would be on his part, not on yours.  I do think you can ship a rifle intra-state for a private party transfer without going through an FFL, at least according to the feds.  I think he's playing fast and loose with the private party transfer thing though; would he have done a 4473 for you if you'd gone to his shop in person to buy it?

ETA: I am not a lawyer, and won't be responsible for you going to jail or contracting herpes.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:12:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So its ok with him being an ffl?

Doesnt matter if he is or not. He may object though.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:13:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Sounds to me like he's selling it to you as a private party transfer, not as the FFL.  He says he can do this because he owned the gun before being an FFL.

I'm no FFL so I can't comment on those rules, but I believe the risk would be on his part, not on yours.  I do think you can ship a rifle intra-state for a private party transfer without going through an FFL, at least according to the feds.  I think he's playing fast and loose with the private party transfer thing though; would he have done a 4473 for you if you'd gone to his shop in person to buy it?

I don't know we was going to meet, but it was to long for me to travel.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:19:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I don't know we was going to meet, but it was to long for me to travel.

Like I said, I don't know what rules the FFLs have to go by.  I know that C&R folks have "grandfathering" of guns they own before they get their C&R, and it sounds like he's saying this gun is grandfathered as well.

I don't think any laws would be broken by this, and I think if a law was being broken it would be his ass and not yours; you are allowed to ship guns in-state to other folks without FFL paperwork, according to federal law.

Again, I'm not a lawyer; this is not legal advice.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:33:02 AM EDT
[#7]
as i understand it if he is a FFL he cannot do it as he needs to have a 4473 or a FFL on file to prove where the rifle went

An individual can  legally ( barring state or local laws against it ) ship in state to another individual but most people will not ( or believe it is illegal)

again as said before i am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:25:59 PM EDT
[#8]
If the rifle is HIS, not the business', then it'll be fine.  If it is the biz's, then no, he can't.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:34:13 AM EDT
[#9]
He may sell the firearm from his personal collection if it has been in that collection for more than one year.  No 4473 is required when he sells the firearm but the firearm must be entered in a bound book for personal firearms and  the buyers information must be entered in the disposition section of that bound book.  See 27CFR §478.125a.

TITLE 27--ALCOHOL, TOBACCO PRODUCTS, AND FIREARMS

CHAPTER II--BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO, FIREARMS, AND EXPLOSIVES,
                         DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE

PART 478_COMMERCE IN FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION--Table of Contents

Subpart H_Records

Sec.  478.125a  Personal firearms collection.

(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of this subpart, a licensed
manufacturer, licensed importer, or licensed dealer is not required to
comply with the provisions of Sec.  478.102 or record on a firearms
transaction record, Form 4473, the sale or other disposition of a
firearm maintained as part of the licensee's personal firearms
collection: Provided, That
   (1) The licensee has maintained the firearm as part of such
collection for 1 year from the date the firearm was
transferred from the business inventory into the personal collection or
otherwise acquired as a personal firearm,
   (2) The licensee recorded in the bound record prescribed by Sec.  
478.125(e) the receipt of the firearm into the business inventory or
other acquisition,
   (3) The licensee recorded the firearm as a disposition in the bound
record prescribed by Sec.  478.125(e) when the firearm was transferred
from the business inventory into the personal firearms collection or
otherwise acquired as a personal firearm, and
   (4) The licensee enters the sale or other disposition of the firearm
from the personal firearms collection into a bound record, under the
format prescribed below, identifying the firearm transferred by
recording the name of the manufacturer and importer (if any), the model,
serial number, type, and the caliber or gauge, and showing the date of
the sale or other disposition, the name and address of the transferee,
or the name and business address of the transferee if such person is a
licensee, and the date of birth of the transferee if other than a
licensee. In addition, the licensee shall cause the transferee, if other
than a licensee, to be identified in any manner customarily used in
commercial transactions (e.g., a drivers license). The format required
for the disposition record of personal firearms is as follows:

Disposition Record of Personal Firearms
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Description of firearm                                         Disposition
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                                 Name and
                                                                                 address
Manufacturer and/    Model      Serial No.      Type     Caliber or     Date     (business     Date of birth if
  or importer                                             gauge                 address if       nonlicensee
                                                                                licensee)

(b) Any licensed manufacturer, licensed importer, or licensed dealer
selling or otherwise disposing of a firearm from the licensee's personal
firearms collection under this section shall be subject to the
restrictions imposed by the Act and this part on the dispositions of
firearms by persons other than licensed manufacturers, licensed
importers, and licensed dealers.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top