Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2007 4:48:06 AM EDT
i was wanting to get my FFl card, probably c&r , but was wanting to know wat all i have to do to go about and get it.  do i need to have a buisness? will the government proud and search my life for the rest of my life?  is there discounts? how do i go about getting one?  thanks guys, brian
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:03:52 AM EDT
[#1]
You can actually download the forms that you need from the ATF and elsewhere.  You have to mail the CLEO (usually Sheriff) a copy, and indicate that you did.  You do not need his signature.  If the CLEO wants to do anything, he has to initiate the whole process at his end from scratch.  99% probably get tossed in the trash and don't even make it to the file cabinet.  The C&R license (03 FFL) is cheap and does get you the trade discounts at Brownell's, Midway, Numrich.  You also get dealer pricing at Sarco, Century, and many of the big surplus outfits.  You can buy and sell on C&R firearms with that license.  The default is 50 years old for C&R's unless specified by make-model as being C&R, the BATFE provides you with that pamphlet, i.e. all pre 64 Wichesters are C&R.  You must maintain a boundbook of acquisitions and dispositions.  You are not to run a business.  You buy and sell to enhance your collection.  Intent is the key here. The Dealer license (01 FFL) is a bit more complicated to get and much more expensive - fingerprints, state and local regulations etc.  You almost have to have a store front business and regular hours for an 01 FFL anymore.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 6:53:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a C&R FFL.  It is an easy license to get.  You can go online and put in a request for the forms from the ATF.  You fill out the forms and send them in with a check for $30.  You have to send one copy of your paperwork to your chief law enforcement officer.  This is usually a formality as the LEO doesn't have to approve the request.  They can nix the deal but I believe this is rare.  Brownells, Midway and Grafs offer dealer pricing to C&R holders.  You can also order C&R firearms from the many surplus dealers.  I saved my $30 license fee on my first order from Midway.  You can be audited by the ATF but as a C&R holder you can choose to perform the audit at their office rather than your house.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I think you actually have to sell a certain number of firearms a year to keep it, right?
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 8:30:57 PM EDT
[#4]
As far as sell a certin no of firearms. No were does it say you have to be a good buessness man. One think is not to mention that you wish to bye for your self.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 8:44:05 PM EDT
[#5]
An FFL is a dealer license, so to speak.  If you don't plan to resell but only collect, you're better off just staying as a regular citizen buyer since there are alot of regulations and polocies you'll need to adhere to as a FFL holder.  As an example, your business location is subject to inspection at any time by the local ATF dealer liason.  If you don't have things secured like you're supposed to or your bound book in line, you could be in deep doo-doo!

The ATF web site has alot of good information on it.  But if you're just looking for discounted weaponry, I wouldn't advise going through the expense of applying.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 8:48:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I think you actually have to sell a certain number of firearms a year to keep it, right?

If it is a C&R you are referring to then, no.  You can not even sell firearms.  The C&R is for personal collections only.  

I am not sure about a class one FFL, but I do not believe that there is a minimum number of sales rule.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it is a C&R you are referring to then, no.  You can not even sell firearms.  The C&R is for personal collections only.  

Not exactly.  You can sell firearms acquired with your C&R to enhance your collection.  You just can't be in the business of selling firearms.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:20:23 PM EDT
[#8]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Not exactly.  You can sell firearms acquired with your C&R to enhance your collection.  You just can't be in the business of selling firearms.  

That is correct....you cannot sell firearms for your livelihood with a C&R but it is ok to sell the guns.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:39:50 AM EDT
[#9]
So you can sell guns that you buy with your C&R?  I didn't know that.  

But, you can no longer just download the ATF forms off of their website.  You now have to request them, and they will be mailed to you.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 3:26:21 PM EDT
[#10]
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOU GUYSES HELP. IT IS VERY APPRETIATED. I THINK I MAY GET THE C&R SO I CALL INHANCE MY COLLECTION......... NOW JUST HAVE TO GET THE WIFE NOT TO...POO-POO THE IDEA RIGHT FROM THE GET GO.....THAKNS AGAIN., BRIAN
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:02:33 PM EDT
[#11]
A side benefit for you will be that with your C&R you can cash and carry any C&R gun in the USA. This includes pistols that are eligible. I have been a 01 FFL for 18 years and a 03 SOT for 4. It is nice to be able to buy a gun at an out of state show and just pick it up and walk away.

There are a few places that will give you a discount such as SOG, AIM, Century Arms and others that I have never dealt with.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:17:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Question:

Can you ship and receive guns with a C&R to eliminate the fees that FFL's charge?

HH
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:19:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Question:

Can you ship and receive guns with a C&R to eliminate the fees that FFL's charge?

HH

Sure if they are on the C and R list, no if not.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:20:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Question:

HH

Sure if they are on the C and R list, no if not.

Thanks

HH
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top