Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2008 3:27:40 PM EDT
Any FFL's out there have a compliance check recently?  

I have one that will be scheduled in early December.  I have had my FFL for almost 4 years, but have yet to have a compliance check.

What can I expect when the agent shows up?  MY Bound Book is neat, current, and correct.  All my 4473's are in numerical order.  My personal firearms are tagged not for sale.  All guns that haven't been disposed are shown in my BB. FFL is displayed, along with the handgun poster.  Anything else I should be aware of?
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 3:32:45 PM EDT
[#1]
My buddy just had one.

The agent (she) sat down and one at a time checked every 4473 for the last 20 years.

It took her a week of 8 hour days.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 3:53:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm surprised they made a appointment. At our shop they just showed up .
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 3:55:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I has one last year, each form studied carefully, line by line.

Very courteous investigator, asked to see the locks we give with each arm.  Checked my and wife's drivers licenses, business licenses, posters, safe.  Did a physical inventory, got to work in the office.  Finally went over his report.

The hard thing was I just came back from vacation, worked just 2 hours on the backlog when he showed up unannounced.  Rest of the week suddenly changed.  

At least you got a heads up.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 4:25:00 PM EDT
[#4]
She did show up unannounced, but I wasn't home.

I don't have much in stock, so it won't take long to check inventory.  I have 85 4473's, so I assume she will be going over those for awhile.  

I am assuming nobody had any issues that responded?
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:03:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Take the time now and review every 4473. Make sure ALL information is correct. If not, contact the person and have them fix it NOW.
You have a heads up. USE IT !!!!
They will look at every line. One mistake, and it will be written as that. Double check serial numbers. Double check shop signs. Do you have the big sign with the one inch letters warning customers to seek instructions?
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:07:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Check for complete addresses.

My buddy got hung up on two of those that got by his eagle eye.

Two in twenty years didn't faze the agent, it was still two and she dinged him.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:13:45 PM EDT
[#7]
We had some issues.  Just didn't want to air them publicly.

One of the trivial ones was our locks were rejected, even tho suppliers sell them.  The cheap Chinese clamshell ones.  Since we have to give a lock with each gun, including pawns, we went cheap and the investigator was not impressed.  I can't find it in writing where these are unacceptable, but I didn't want to argue.

I was asked to explain why the ink changed on "my" part of the 4473s.  I now keep the same pen with the form until I get it finished fully.  Stuff like that.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:35:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Same here we made some mistakes and corrected them.  The agents that did our inspections were very professional and very thorough . Be polite and honest with them and you will be ok .
If you can lockup during the inspections . I swear every crazy person visited out store while they were working.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:45:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

One of the trivial ones was our locks were rejected, even tho suppliers sell them.  The cheap Chinese clamshell ones.  Since we have to give a lock with each gun, including pawns, we went cheap and the investigator was not impressed.  I can't find it in writing where these are unacceptable, but I didn't want to argue.

I was asked to explain why the ink changed on "my" part of the 4473s.  I now keep the same pen with the form until I get it finished fully.  Stuff like that.

I have only black pens in the shop. All the same brand.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:53:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll be going through my 4473's this weekend.  I need to order some locks as well. I'll take advantage situation.  Thanks for the heads up.

By the way, if they do find something, say a paperwork issue (something not filled out for example), how do you get dinged as its been put?  Does it simply go down as a non compliance in a written report?  Or is it an actionable offense?  I realize it depends on the severity (and the freqeuncy I suppose), but I am just talking about general  paperwork issues.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:59:53 PM EDT
[#11]
tag
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:09:35 PM EDT
[#12]
they finished us yesterday. PITA while they checked inventory. theres not much room behind the counter and none of the agents were what i'd call "in shape", unless round qualifies as a shape.

i only work there, so its not my place to discuss the results, but it seems like someone up in fedland dosnt like us.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#13]
They hit all the pawn shops in the area.  Those with "several" dings got a written warning, a few dings just verbal.

A couple of guys had to go to the state office for a Warning Conference.  I was not in that group.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Seems like alot of compliance checks recently?  Wonder whats up if there is an increase.  

When I tqlked to the Agent, she told me that she was out of the office the rest of the week, and next.  Wonder if she is paying a visit to some other local dealers?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top