Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2002 3:04:29 PM EDT
I've got a "friend" who is on the FNRA committee with me.  So I decide to do some business with him since he is supporting "the cause."

I buy a low end 1911 & then a Kimber...among some other things.

Now I know up front he charges a little more than others & I don't have a problem with this...its America & we all have to make a living.

Here is my bitchin gripe:

I shot 20rds through this low end 1911 & decided it wasn't for me...went back & purchased the Kimber instead.  I take the first 1911, clean it up & put it at his shop for sale for $50.00 less than what I purchased it for...

Go back now & then to check on it & its always there...been about 6 months now.

But now, when I ask to look at it, it has been shot & been handled to the point that it is scratched & the finish is tarnished & dull.  It now looks like about 1000rds has gone through it!  

He says its always been this way!  That is an outright lie.  Now he says sell it for about $100.00 less than what I paid for it & he can sell it...minus his 15% fee of course.

But wait, it gets better.  All this time he has always claimed that he sold both those firearms to me "at cost."  So I do a little checking & I know for a fact that those were not at cost since others online are selling for about $100.00 less than what I paid for my Kimber.

I did not ask for the item at cost...never even brought it up.  Never expected anything at cost from him.

So why do these FFLs that I have dealt with insist on lying to the public?  I don't expect anything for free, but I also don't expect to be lied to, especially from a "buddy" who is on a committe with me....I'm not that naive & do understand how the world works but I also know that I like being kissed first.

So...what seems like the appropriate thing to do?  Let it slide or get some payback?  

Link Posted: 1/14/2002 3:13:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 3:13:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

So...what seems like the appropriate thing to do?  Let it slide or get some payback?  

View Quote

Do both.  Let it slide and never buy anything from him again.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 3:23:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So why do these FFLs that I have dealt with insist on lying to the public?  I don't expect anything for free, but I also don't expect to be lied to, especially from a "buddy" who is on a committe with me....I'm not that naive & do understand how the world works but I also know that I like being kissed first.

View Quote

Because a lot of them think they know everything since they are a "dealer" and you are just a stupid civilian who doesn't know anything, which there are a lot of.  So the dealer will claim that their Hesse AR-15 is the finest AR out there and is a steal at only $700.  If you decide you can't take their BS anymore and confront them about it, they will act like you just said the stupidest thing in the world and will ignore you.

The best payback to dealers like this, is to spend your money elsewhere.  Find one that won't lie to you.  

I've talked to dealers I've known for years who know that I know just as much if not more than they do about firearms, yet they still respond to me as if I didn't know anything.  My guess is it's just habit as most the people they deal with really don't know anything.  I find the ones that don't lie and have decent prices and then make a point at purchasing from them.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#4]
First off you have to screw your friends and family because strangers won't put up with it.

Can't comment on the knockoff low end 1911 but as for Kimber, and anyother high end firearm there are many pricing levels. If you want to become just a kimber dealer and are set up direct with Kimber as a Master Level dealer then you get better pricing and can sell them cheaper on the www than a 1 at a time dealer can buy direct.

Same with most guns.

Link Posted: 1/14/2002 6:24:21 PM EDT
[#5]
The asshole FFL who offered me $300 for my AR at the last Gun Show was selling a cheapo .22 for $169.95. I commented to another person I was with about the price being ridiculous. His partner overheard and preceded to "inform" me that in fact he (the FFL) paid $159 for the rifle and was in fact only making $10 profit on it.

Plain BS if you ask me. Maybe I should have asked if he'd be wiling to buy a few from me for $140. Especially since I could buy them 2 rows over for just under $100 each. These rifles normally sell for around $80 at major stores. $100 is reasonable or a low business FFL. But, $170 was unreasonable and saying he was only making $10 was a plain outright lie.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 6:35:04 PM EDT
[#6]
The industry seems to have a share of good and bad. There was/is a woman at Central Florida Pawn and Gun in Orange City, FL that was real nice and helpfull. The prices were a little higher than the other places, but she didn't have the attitude of many FFLs. Last time I was there, she wasn't there. She may have been off that day.

Al's Pawn and Rifle in Pace, FL is really nice though overpriced on accessories. The women there are really nice and helpfull.

Great Gun Works in Pensacola, FL is somewhat helpfull, but they aren't exactly pro-us. They mostly cater to Hunters and Trap Shooters.

Mike's Gun Shop has a better selection. Though it still doesn't include AR-15s last time I checked. The guys there are really hard to get to help you though.

I can't remember the name, but there is a shop in Lauderhill, FL where the guy is a dickweed. His prices are a laugh and the way he treats customers leaves alot to be desired.

Most of the places in S. Florida are real jerks. Why, becuase no private sales. They truly are the only game in town.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:01:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Just remember that FFL's are salesman too.

They will tell you anything to get your money just like a regular salesman will do.  Always know your stuff and never listen to a salesman

Benjamin
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:14:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:28:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Actually, my biggest bitch was about my gun looking like shit now.  He is still a damn LIAR...there, now can I get a star for my spelling effort?

I've already purchased several arms from him & have never been pissed about how much money he charges, but please, don't fucking tell me that its "at cost" & have me find out later that you charged me $100.00 to $150.00 more than I can find online...not even Kimber Master Dealers get that much of a discount!  There's  Master Dealer in town & his prices are not that much lower.

Cheap Bastard?  Are you fucking kidding me?  I've spent more than my share with this lying fuck when I could have bought it cheaper elsewhere.

Are you telling me you never shop around?

Seems to me like he is way over 10-20% markup, but that is not my major concern.  

I am pissed that the gun I left with him looking like new nows looks like shit.

Well, read it over again & let me know if it meets your spelling standards Dr. Beekeeper1.

Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:42:40 PM EDT
[#10]
What kind of gun is it? How much are you trying to get?  Maybe just pull it from his place of business and sell it online here in the EE.  

Sounds like this "friend" doesn't view you the same way **IF** rounds have been fired through it.  Maybe give him one more sincere discussion.  See if he will work with you. If not, seems like it is time to drop this guy and move on.  Let him know, after you have your gun in hand, that you are upset and feel like you got the shaft.  If this ordeal screws you out of some $$ maybe better now then later.  

I have run into 1 FFL in particular who I thought was less than truthful/honest, I never did business with him again.  I let him know how I felt (calmly and respectfully) and he told me basically to go screw myself.  True colors shine through in people.  Learn from their signs and use it as a learning experience.  Not all people will treat you as you would treat them.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:42:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:07:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Beekeeper1:

Thanks for the story.

This is the second FFL that I will no longer do business with.  His loss as I never haggled with him & purchased at a steady rate.

There is a third FFL in town that I have purchased from before who is also higher priced than others but am willing to give him my business as long as he does not lie to me about it.  Charge what you like...people will pay it, but don't take our stuff, shoot the crap out of it, & then say, oh, it was always that way!  That is just plain BS.  I have taken the gun back & will visit this "friend" when I have calmed down & can speak with him coherently.

You are correct about the cheap bastards though...they are on both sides of the counter.

Your apology is not necessary, but is warmly accepted!  As you may have gathered, I'm a bit on edge today.

Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:15:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What kind of gun is it? How much are you trying to get?  Maybe just pull it from his place of business and sell it online here in the EE.  

Sounds like this "friend" doesn't view you the same way **IF** rounds have been fired through it.  Maybe give him one more sincere discussion.  See if he will work with you. If not, seems like it is time to drop this guy and move on.  Let him know, after you have your gun in hand, that you are upset and feel like you got the shaft.  If this ordeal screws you out of some $$ maybe better now then later.  

I have run into 1 FFL in particular who I thought was less than truthful/honest, I never did business with him again.  I let him know how I felt (calmly and respectfully) and he told me basically to go screw myself.  True colors shine through in people.  Learn from their signs and use it as a learning experience.  Not all people will treat you as you would treat them.  
View Quote

I have taken the gun back & will try to clean it up a bit this weekend & see how it shoots.  It looks like somone took it for a ride on a gravel road...attached to the back of the pickup!  

I could not sell this to anyone here...they would hunt me down & hurt me!!  :-)

Rounds have definitely been shot through it as I see powder residue everywhere along with a gazillion SCRATCHES all over the slide, not to mention the DISCOLORATION on the slide....man I am so mad I could just spit nails!!!!

The Golden rule certainly does NOT apply to everyone...you are correct.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:36:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:47:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:54:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I am not going to read past the fourth post.  Get the ultimate revenge and get your own FFL and open a store, make your own millions and put him out of business!
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:50:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I am fine with FFLs charging what they may. Please do not lie to me.

Nothing makes me madder than a Dealer telling me he paid $160 and is only making $10 for a Gun I can get for $80. Which of course means Dealer pricing is even lower than the $80 figure.

Also, don't try to pass of Special Weapons or Hesse Crap as Top of the Line.

Worst of all is saying that every gun you are selling will be going up in price because the ATF just banned it. These are the same dealers who take some dead legislation and post it for their customers with a line saying that you better buy now, before you can't.

There is a line. Charge what you want, but lying and fraud is wrong if not illegal.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:53:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Worst of all is saying that every gun you are selling will be going up in price because the ATF just banned it.
View Quote

ATF has never banned a gun.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 1:01:58 AM EDT
[#19]
What about the SPAS and Steet Sweepper being considered class3 now.There just shotguns.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 8:01:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am glad you posted this.  I will be sure to take pictures before consigning anything!

SB
View Quote

I think that is a great idea!  I will definitely be taking pre-consignment pictures if I ever take another firearm to a FFL dealer.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top