Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2005 9:56:15 AM EDT
Here's a question for FFL holders.

If someone orders a weapon through AuctionArms or GunBroker, etc and has it shipped to a local FFL holder who advertises and solicits FFL transfer business, does the FFL holder charge sales tax on out of state purchases or are they just trying to jack the buyer for the sales tax amount and not forwarding the taxes collected to the state?

No flame, just an honest question.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:02:41 AM EDT
[#1]
They do it in the RPK.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:11:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Anyone else?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:12:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Usually they only charge the fee and possibly tax on their fee.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:14:13 AM EDT
[#4]
My experience in Texas is only the fee is charged..

10 bucks..fair price.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:16:28 AM EDT
[#5]
They are supposed to...I don't know how serious the IRS/state revenue services take it, but they are supposed to collect sales tax (the FFL).

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:17:29 AM EDT
[#6]
my experience in california is no tax charged. ive done about 5 transfers from 2 diff. dealers and havnt been charged  tax on the gun or the reg. fee's
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:24:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
my experience in california is no tax charged. ive done about 5 transfers from 2 diff. dealers and havnt been charged  tax on the gun or the reg. fee's

You are lucky then. All the places I have asked (So SD), they said they charge the service fees and sales tax on the value of the pistol.

I'll just wait 'til I'm out of the state. Too much of a hastle to deal with.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:32:19 AM EDT
[#8]

They FFL should be responsible for his fee and applicable tax on the fee.  

In TN, the state requires you to pay a "use" tax that  is equivalent to the state sales tax.

The mechanism to enforce this use tax varies.  On cars and boats, it is easy for the state since they discover the sale when you register it and apply for tags.  

Your state may look to FFL's to help collect "lost"sales tax.

In TN, very few people will go the the .tngov site and pay the sales tax (almost 10%) on the computer they just bought on ebay.

I'll bet your FFL collects the tax and sends it in because he thinks he has to, not that he is trying to cheat you.

But, as always, YMMV.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top