Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2010 4:51:16 PM EDT
First they came for the pseudophed, but I said nothing. Now I won't be able to run out at o-dark-thirty to get cough syrup.

The next time you have a cough or the sniffles, it
could be a little harder to get your hands on your favorite over-the-
counter cold remedy. Federal regulators are considering moving certain
cough and cold medicines behind the counter, to stop young people from
abusing them.

The Food and Drug Administration is worried about
an ingredient found in more than a hundred over-the-counter medications.
It is called dextromethorphan. It helps you feel better when you are
under the weather. But the FDA says some teens are abusing it to get
high.

The FDA is thinking about taking medicines that
contain DXM off store shelves and moving them behind the counter or
requiring a prescription. "I think that would be a really big
inconvenience especially since I don't think the majority of people that
actually buy these drugs use it for those reasons," says Pasqua. "It's
going to be inconvenient but if you have to do it, you have to do it,"
says Ariana Velasquez."

The FDA will meet on September 14th to decide whether to restrict access to medicines that contain DXM.

link
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:52:06 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Most dextromethorphan-containing medications have stuff in them already that would make abuse for recreational purposes highly unpleasant.  Namely guifenesen (sp?).  Lots of kids have gotten fucked up over trying to get high off of Coricidin tablets.  

DXM is only an effective dissociative in very high doses.  You'll destroy your liver before you ever get high unless you get the pure stuff.  Not many druggies are effective chemists, though.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:55:58 PM EDT
[#3]
There will ALWAYS be something for kids to abuse.

Which means there will ALWAYS be less for you to buy at the store without being put on a list.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:56:22 PM EDT
[#4]
No more ROBOTRIPPIN
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:57:00 PM EDT
[#5]
How long before kids start huffing gasoline, to the point it becomes restricted?

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#6]
My doc wrote me a prescription for the cough syrup with codeine in it. I will never use OTC cough syrup again.

FBO!
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:59:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Fucking kids ruin everything.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:00:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My doc wrote me a prescription for the cough syrup with codeine in it. I will never use OTC cough syrup again.

FBO!

You be leanin!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z-p4nkemJU
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#9]
The shit doesn't work anyway. Ban it. I don't give a fuck.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:09:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Fucking kids feds ruin everything.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#11]
So I should start stocking up, get a table at the next gun show and sell pre-ban cough syrup?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:18:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't use any of that shit anyway. Their doing folks a favor even though the restrictions are wrong.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:18:26 PM EDT
[#13]
The smarter kiddies just order straight-up dextromorphan hydrobromide crystals over the interwebs.  Apparently it is much easier to get into "4th plateu" doses when you don't have to drink a gallon of green shit.  Feds can't seem to regulate that.

Have the feds gone after Salvia Divornium yet?  That was the last of the "legals" that got big during the ethenogenic re-birth of the 1990s - early 2000's.  The advent of the modern internet seemed to really help that along.

I've been near kicked out of CVS for raising a ruckus when I hit my "monthly limit" on psuedo-eph.  I got my 15 pack of Claritin-D that normally lasts me two weeks almost.  Realize that I had been sold the 12 hour shit.  Returned it, but the computer wouldn't process me because "derp derp the government won't let us"  I demanded to know which government, federal, state, etc, what agency or database was this being kept in, was it government or a private company dbase.  They assured me that it was federal and that it was in effect everywhere that sold pseudo-eph.  I just went down to walgreens and bought my 24 hour claritin D there.  Fucking idiots.  This is CT.  Nobody does meth here.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:21:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Fucking kids feds ruin everything.

This and I'm off to get my pre ban nyquil
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:26:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm just so fucking sick of them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:28:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Abby Hoffman makes a good point in his book, "Steal This Urine Test".
While he was working as a drug counselor, he had a teenage patient who figured out that he could make himself "high" by alternately holding his breath and hyperventilating.
His point was that human beings seek to alter their consciousness and that it's an innate and omnipresent desire.
What are you going to do? Make the kid stop breathing?

Drink, drugs, thrill-seeking, meditation, religious ecstasy, whatever; it's common in humans.
There is no substance you can ban that will suppress the urge.
And we are already well beyond the point where puritanical nanny-statism  intrudes on the lives of non-abusers.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I don't use any of that shit anyway.

I don't need a terrorist assault rifle to hunt anyway...

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:20:39 PM EDT
[#18]

It's not about safety.  It's about control.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:22:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll bet that requiring prescriptions will play into the giant health care bill somehow.

They aren't really doing this "for the children".
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:34:26 PM EDT
[#21]
So let me get this clear.....they are going to take away my ability to see a doctor in an expedient, efficient manner.....but first, they are going to ban the drugs neccesary to alleviate my symptoms while I wait for an appointment?

Hmmm....sounds like kicking a man while he's down.
I suppose I should expect this from the government by now.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:39:17 PM EDT
[#22]
"It's for the children!!!"

How about "fuck you, fuck the children, and fuck all your stupid rules you sit around all day dreaming up".
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:40:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll never buy cough syrup again, at least not the night time stuff. The day time stuff just doesn't work though.

Sure it works great, but I've taken a normal full dose for my body type according to the directions and got high.

I'll stick too a nice hot cup of tea+local honey and cough drops.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:44:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The smarter kiddies just order straight-up dextromorphan hydrobromide crystals over the interwebs.  Apparently it is much easier to get into "4th plateu" doses when you don't have to drink a gallon of green shit.  Feds can't seem to regulate that.

Have the feds gone after Salvia Divornium yet?  That was the last of the "legals" that got big during the ethenogenic re-birth of the 1990s - early 2000's.  The advent of the modern internet seemed to really help that along.

I've been near kicked out of CVS for raising a ruckus when I hit my "monthly limit" on psuedo-eph.  I got my 15 pack of Claritin-D that normally lasts me two weeks almost.  Realize that I had been sold the 12 hour shit.  Returned it, but the computer wouldn't process me because "derp derp the government won't let us"  I demanded to know which government, federal, state, etc, what agency or database was this being kept in, was it government or a private company dbase.  They assured me that it was federal and that it was in effect everywhere that sold pseudo-eph.  I just went down to walgreens and bought my 24 hour claritin D there.  Fucking idiots.  This is CT.  Nobody does meth here.

Other than some state laws no. A few states have outright banned it, and most are regulating it too 18+ only.

I've done salvia before, it's not fun. Most people who try it never do it again.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#25]
FUCK THE NANNY STATE!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:56:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Soon they'll ban poop because some people huff that too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenkem

Jenkem is an alleged hallucinogenic recreational drug composed of noxious gas formed from fermented sewage.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:05:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Part of me wishes someone would just figure out a way to make super-crack in five minutes using sugar, paper, eggs, and pennies.  Then we could finally have all these BS restrictions lifted.  Who's going to drink cough syrup and buy sudafed to make meth in a lab that could blow up when you could just mix up some super-crack for $3 and a trip to Wal-Mart?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:07:31 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I'm just so fucking sick of them.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:12:46 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

It's not about safety. It's about control.

Bingo.

I've witnessed some epic battles between pharmacies, anesthesia providers, corporate bean counters, and .gov regulations.  All about who controls what.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:22:08 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

So let me get this clear.....they are going to take away my ability to see a doctor in an expedient, efficient manner.....but first, they are going to ban the drugs neccesary to alleviate my symptoms while I wait for an appointment?

You are catching on.

I have gotten to the point I would rather suffer through my allergies than to dick around with showing ID, signing my name, after waiting at the pharmacy checkout line for 20 minutes because every other poor soul has to do the same. This shit is getting down right crazy all for "the sake of the children!".

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Do they even MAKE Nyquil with pseudoephedrine in it anymore?

That was the only stuff I could take OTC that actually had a noticeable effect on symptoms for me.

You can get OTC meds with it here, by signing for it, with ID, and in small quantities, but the golden elixer is nowhere to be seen.....
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:32:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Part of me wishes someone would just figure out a way to make super-crack in five minutes using sugar, paper, eggs, and pennies.  Then we could finally have all these BS restrictions lifted.  Who's going to drink cough syrup and buy sudafed to make meth in a lab that could blow up when you could just mix up some super-crack for $3 and a trip to Wal-Mart?

No, sugar, paper, eggs , and pennies would become regulated substances.....
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:35:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Kids are suckin' down DXM because they can't get anything safer.

Same with the ephedrine. People make meth because they can't get anything better, easier.

These things aren't especially worth the risk/reward.

But go ahead, ban it... because what we need here is more paint huffers.

That's what you're gonna get. Or something even worse.

In Africa they snort and smoke their HIV drugs. People will always find a way to get fucked up.

I say let people eat shrooms, the long term effects alone make it seem a lot more sensible than what we have here today.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:36:19 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

War on you I mean drugs.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:37:44 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Soon they'll ban poop because some people huff that too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenkem

Jenkem is an alleged hallucinogenic recreational drug composed of noxious gas formed from fermented sewage.

Party time!!!

Nasty as fuck but keep banning shit and this shit will end up normal.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:40:38 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know places in SWVA that if you buy too much sugar, the sheriff will want to talk to you.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:42:01 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know places in SWVA that if you buy too much sugar, the sheriff will want to talk to you.

Well I guess you can use large quantities of sugar to make moonshine... which is still illegal.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:42:22 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

The new stuff has switched to the same active ingredient as Preparation-H, Phenylephrine HCl.

This is about DXM, though, not pseudophedrine.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:45:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Maybe my tin foil hat is on a bit too tightly but soon you're going to need to see a government controlled "doctor" just to get an aspirin for a fucking headache or for a band-aid and some Neosporin for a simple cut. Anyone caught using electircal tape or super glue on a paper cut will be hauled before a tribunal and charged with administering and receiving illegal medical treatment and then sentanced to a goulog for reducation on how "Government is Mother. Government is Father".

I guess I better start stockpiling Mucinex DM while I still can.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:45:49 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Quoted:

The new stuff has switched to the same active ingredient as Preparation-H, Phenylephrine HCl.

This is about DXM, though, not pseudophedrine.

Hey man, when your sniffly sneezing coughing aching head can't rest, what you really need is hemorrhoid medication!

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:48:27 PM EDT
[#41]
It's fungible now. Buy one, then rub it on whatever part you want
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:52:46 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well I guess you can use large quantities of sugar to make moonshine... which is still illegal.

Just pointing out that we aren't *that* far from the same silliness effecting OTC meds creeping over to other areas. The precedent is being set, in a bad way. Wait until the local sheriff wants to talk to you after buying 20 bags of dirt for your garden. Or a couple dozen lengths of copper pipe, or anything else that you can think of that could be even remotely linked to someone getting high.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:30:10 PM EDT
[#43]
We are gettting to the point where the only component that is legal is the syrup. There will be no active ingredients in OTC cough meds.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:36:24 PM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:38:45 PM EDT
[#45]

"It's going to be inconvenient but if you have to do it, you have to do it," says Ariana Velasquez."

Oh for fuck's sake.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:45:03 PM EDT
[#46]
1. We want people to quit over-using medical resources, which drives prices through the roof

2. We will make it illegal to self-medicate for a simple cough

ETA:

3. We will use the resulting crisis to ram through the most godawful, byzantine legiislation imaginable

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:52:45 PM EDT
[#47]

Damnit, I clicked on this thread just to post this clip.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:04:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
DXM is only an effective dissociative in very high doses.  You'll destroy your liver before you ever get high unless you get the pure stuff.  Not many druggies are effective chemists, though.

I've seen a good number of kids get pretty good and high with just a bottle of Delsym...  whether their livers are intact, I dunno.

What does guaifenesin do at higher doses?   That stuff doesn't even work for me unless I take a double dose, and it's never seemed to cause me any discomfort.

Pseudoephedrine, though... wow.  That stuff makes me jittery, anxious, and ANGRY.  I refuse to take it unless I really, really, REALLY need it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:55:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen a good number of kids get pretty good and high with just a bottle of Delsym...  whether their livers are intact, I dunno.

What does guaifenesin do at higher doses?   That stuff doesn't even work for me unless I take a double dose, and it's never seemed to cause me any discomfort.

Pseudoephedrine, though... wow.  That stuff makes me jittery, anxious, and ANGRY.  I refuse to take it unless I really, really, REALLY need it.
I find that IF you need it, pseudoephedrine works pretty well. The OTC w/o pseudoephedrine is pretty lame.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top