Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2004 5:33:45 PM EDT
I was looking for some advice or experiences from any one working for the FBI. There is a Information Analyst position being advertised for most large cities and I was thinking about applying for the Indy location. I do have experience working for the US Govt in a civilian capacity and have a M.S. degree. My wife thinks I should apply but I just don't anything about the FBI in terms of the application process and what it would be like working for them.

Thank you,

Karl
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#1]
not much for pay,  and if your not already start running
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:41:28 PM EDT
[#2]
The specific job title is Intelligence Analyst, GS-0132.

How much running? My right knee does not have an ACL any more and running on pavement really gets my attention.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:53:35 PM EDT
[#3]
GS-0132 is an intelligence analyst position.  It will require a Special Background Investigation and a polygraph.  

The reason there are a high number of positions available is many who applied in the last round failed the polygraph.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:58:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:43:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Most fail the polygraph because they lie about prior drug use.

There is a mis-conception that if you have ever used any type of drugs, the FBI won't take you. That is not true. If the drug use was experimental, adolescent drug use, generally it isn't a problem. Marijuana is less of a problem than harder drugs. A history of selling drugs is tough to overcome.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:05:21 AM EDT
[#6]
What would the job be like in terms of hours, travel, responsibilities, etc...?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:52:20 AM EDT
[#7]
My guess is that (I just read the job description) that the travel would not be all that much.  Heck, even agents don't travel all that much, and this is not an LE position, it is a desk job (more or less).  The announcement says "shift work required" but I bet that is an overstatement.  SOunds like this is a civil service job, like many others.  Travel is likely for training purposes,

shooter
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:12:39 AM EDT
[#8]
The position is primarily an office assignment, mainly analyzing field reports and working with agents to collect and provide useful analysis. The position is evolving, however, and may involve more fieldwork in the future.

It wouldn’t be a bad route to an agent position, if you have or are working on your bachelor’s degree.

As for travel, since 9/11, agents have been able to volunteer for all the travel they could possibly want. On a daily basis, Agents travel to Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Gitmo, Afghanistan, etc. Also, some of the analysts travel to D.C. on a semi-regular basis.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:18:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I already have a M.S. so I would meet the education requirment. I just don't feel that excited about a desk job. I currently work in the natural resources field and I am 30 years old with a very young daughter. I am not willing to work long hours and miss time with her. I don't think that I will apply.

Thank you for all of your advice
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:19:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I would get in touch with a couple people who do the job, maybe the local recruiter/HR person can help you with that.  I am looking at the job here in the DC area, and it really reads like a 9-5 office job (as much as there is such a thing anymore), with some infrequent travel.  Maybe the regional offices travel more for training purposes.  There are also 6 weeks of required training.  It doesn't sound too bad, and with the M.S. you should be able to get hired as AT LEAST an 11, if not a 12.

shooter
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:59:05 PM EDT
[#11]
i heard that if you apply for the FBI and dont make it you can never apply again, any truth to that?

i dont really believe it, i could see not applying for again for another few months/years.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:54:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I talked to an agent for awhile last night about this position (old friend who has been with FBI about a year).  His description is that it is a pretty cool job, some field time but not alot, and a TRUCKLOAD of briefing time upon completion of assessments.  A few things he added:

1.  The application process is office specific, so you can apply to the specific cities you are interested in working in (WAY different than a sworn LE position).
2.  The promotions are not QUITE guaranteed in the same way many civil service postions are (but close).
3.  Training opportunity abounds (thus some travel) in a variety of different areas, financial crimes, terrorism/counterterrorism/drugs.....

Hope this helps...

shooter
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:38:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Thank you all for your advice about this job. I will go ahead and apply. Nothing to lose!

Karl
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:58:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Good Luck. Like you said, it doesn't cost anything to apply.

As for never being able to apply again if you don't make it, I've never heard that.

What usually happens is that you will go through the application and testing process. Your composite scores will place you at some rank on a hiring list. If you score low, you may be able to re-test.

If you flunk the background check or lie on the application, then ,as Garand 1911 has heard, your probably locked out of FBI employment for good.

But,hey, with an MS, why don't you think about the Special Agent position?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:20:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I did not see a special agent position advertised. I am getting my job hits from the USAJOBS website. Do you have a vacancy announcement number for Special Agent?

Karl
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:05:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Go to WWW.FBI.gov and follow the employment links to the Special Agent position web page. It will tell you about the position and how to go about applying.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:26:48 PM EDT
[#17]
The only people i know who failed a polygraph told the truth.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:52:39 AM EDT
[#18]
How stringent is the FBI in terms of physical requirments? If they examine my right knee and find it to have 9 mm of movement between the femur and tib/fib will they not permit further training? I just looked over the fitness test snd I could pass all of them except my uncorrected vision is 20/100 NOT the specified 20/40. Could I still make it beyond these shortcomings to train for Special Agent?

Now, the Intelligence Analyst position:

During the 6 weeks, what kind of training occurs?

-weapons, fitness, protocols, intelligence gathering methods?  I have no idea  what to expect.

Karl
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:00:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How stringent is the FBI in terms of physical requirments? If they examine my right knee and find it to have 9 mm of movement between the femur and tib/fib will they not permit further training? I just looked over the fitness test snd I could pass all of them except my uncorrected vision is 20/100 NOT the specified 20/40. Could I still make it beyond these shortcomings to train for Special Agent?

I think you may have misread the vision requirements. The uncorrected vision limit is 20/200, not 20/40. The CORRECTED limit is at least 20/20 in one eye and no worse than 20/40 in the other.

The physical requirements are fairly stringent, but are performance based. When you go for your pre-employment physical, you will be asked to fill out a health history form. You will be expected to include details about any hospitalizations, surgeries, etc. These questions will key the physician that you have had a knee problem. He will undoubtedly pay close attention to your knee. If the instability in your knee doesn’t prevent you from performing and doesn’t represent an undue worker’s comp risk, it shouldn’t be a problem.

What the Bureau doesn’t want is to hire someone with a weak or bad knee, have him or her re-injure it during training and then be on the hook for a lifetime of disability payments.

What does your own physician say about it? If he doesn’t think it’s a problem, will he put that in writing?

The intelligence analyst training involves no weapons or physical training. Analysts receive analytical and report writing training from CIA experts, in the classroom.

Agents, in 2004, receive about  $45,000/year while at the academy. That goes to about 60, 000/year when you graduate (about 16 weeks) and about 90,000/year after 5 years. Top step, grade 13 field agents make about 120,000/year. Supervisors, Special Agents-in-Charge, etc make more.

Analyst’s salary varies based upon education and experience.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:05:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Calfed,

Yes, I did not read it correctly about the vision requirements. You are correct.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top