Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2018 9:54:53 AM EDT
Question.  Will the former Chief James Comey, and Assistant Chief Andrew McCabe be able to carry under LEOSA.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 10:03:19 AM EDT
[#1]
It is contingent on retiring in good standing and being issued "retirement credentials".

So... McCabe was fired so no retirement credentials... no authority to carry for sure.

I really doubt Comey will be issued retirement credentials... so no for him either.

After I retired it took 6 months before my retirement credentials were shipped to me.

I am a retired Federal LEO.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 10:54:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I just don't see these guys taking the time to go qualify yearly.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 8:55:18 PM EDT
[#3]
James Comey is not eligible under the law.  You must serve at least ten years (926.C, 3-A) unless you medically retire.  He served from 2013 to 2017 so he does not qualify.  Not to mention he was asked to step down and did not retire- and thus still not eligible under that fact.  Fun fact- Comey never carried daily.  He only carried on his quarterly qualification day.  He had a full protection detail 24/7, just like every other FBI director.

Andrew McCabe was fired and does not qualify for a retired ID and will not get a privileges under LEOSA; however he is eligible for a CCW under state law wherever he lives.

Most fed agencies who have their crap together give you your retirement creds and LEOSA card the day you leave.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 11:23:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is contingent on retiring in good standing and being issued "retirement credentials".

So... McCabe was fired so no retirement credentials... no authority to carry for sure.

I really doubt Comey will be issued retirement credentials... so no for him either.

After I retired it took 6 months before my retirement credentials were shipped to me.

I am a retired Federal LEO.
View Quote
Squinting at your avatar and reading the six month wait... I'm pretty sure I know who you worked for.  LOL
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 12:42:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
James Comey is not eligible under the law.  You must serve at least ten years (926.C, 3-A) unless you medically retire.  He served from 2013 to 2017 so he does not qualify.  Not to mention he was asked to step down and did not retire- and thus still not eligible under that fact.  Fun fact- Comey never carried daily.  He only carried on his quarterly qualification day.  He had a full protection detail 24/7, just like every other FBI director.

Andrew McCabe was fired and does not qualify for a retired ID and will not get a privileges under LEOSA; however he is eligible for a CCW under state law wherever he lives.

Most fed agencies who have their crap together give you your retirement creds and LEOSA card the day you leave.

View Quote
Must be nice. We had to send our application paperwork off to the issuing office after we retired. Mine took two months to get my agency ID card. You also have to get a certified state firearms officer to qualify you on the state firearms course for the state you reside in to complete the LEOSA ID requirement. I had that done before I retired. I never did understand why they required a state agency to qualify you instead of the federal agency that you retired from. In any event, the state qualification course is easier than my old agency course and we only have to do it once a year instead of quarterly.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 12:46:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I just don't see these guys taking the time to go qualify yearly.
View Quote
I don't see fuckwads like McCabe or Comey doing it when it was part of their job.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Ugh, most FBI guys don't carry on duty, especially not at these guy's level.  Paddle holsters, securely desk-drawered.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 12:51:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't think Comey would ever be eligible, similar to DOJ personnel, as he was never trained in an actual academy/LE course. Or am I missing something?
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 2:32:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't think Comey would ever be eligible, similar to DOJ personnel, as he was never trained in an actual academy/LE course. Or am I missing something?
View Quote
This. Appointed position lawyer. not sworn LE.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 7:52:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not exactly.  LEOSA defines "qualified law enforcement officer" as someone who is "is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and has statutory powers of arrest, or apprehension under section 807(b) of title 10, United States Code (article 7(b) of the Uniform Code of Military Justice).  The FBI's law enforcement powers derive from 18 USC 3052 and specifically include the Director. LINK

The sticking point would be the definition of "retired".  I thought for most PASC positions you are vested in your retirement benefits almost immediately since you serve at the pleasure of the President...but I haven't spent too much time in the rarefied air of the SES...

TLDR Crowd:  Comey could probably argue he's qualified under LEOSA - but let's be honest he probably doesn't care.  McCabe is probably boned since he was a career civil service position (unless he's able to successfully sue the government over his termination...which is a longshot).
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 2:14:24 PM EDT
[#11]
No.  Neither one separated from the agency in good standing, so they do not qualify.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top