Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2004 10:45:09 AM EDT
If you had a choice between a DSA Fal or a loaded springfield M1A, which would you choose and why? Looking for a nice .308 battle rifle. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 10:47:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Being partial to US military type rifles I'd go with the M1A.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 10:49:31 AM EDT
[#2]
FAL. The new Springfield's are less than desirable. Besides, they use a cast receiver instead of forged.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 10:49:31 AM EDT
[#3]
i was just thinking of this, from what I have seen the FAL can take alot of abuse, but the M1a is probably going to be more accurate??
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 10:51:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 10:54:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:02:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Get both!

I bought an FAL. Great gun.

I'll pick up a M1A someday.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:04:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
fal: cheap to buy. its' magazines are cheap to buy. it's reasonably accurate.

rack grade m1a: sell your car to get the money up for one. sell your girlfriend to buy a few magazines. it's reasonably accurate.
View Quote

LOL thats pretty funny.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:05:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Preban: M1A over FAL

Postban: FAL (DSA) over M1A
View Quote

what he said
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:06:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:18:21 AM EDT
[#10]
As of December 10 I own one of each. I've got an M1A Scout and an Imbel FAL with a fixed 10 rd mag (I'm in CA after all) built by CGW.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank God someone [u]finally[/u] asked this question. [:D]

I couldn't live without both.  Get 'em.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I went to the DSA site, and it looks like they are in the price range of the M1A's.  Am I missing something here?
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I went to the DSA site, and it looks like they are in the price range of the M1A's.  Am I missing something here?
View Quote

Those prices are suggested retail. Dealer price for most of their rifles is actually much lower from what I've heard (In one case it was under $750).
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:22:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I got a M1A Loaded as a gift. This is a rapid fire group (<1 min) from the bench with iron sights.
[img]http://web.infoave.net/~tross/images/target.jpg[/img]
I have shot a FAL and to me the M1A has a much better feel.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:22:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Why not get an AR-10? It's accurate & easy to scope.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Get both, you wont be dissappointed in either.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:30:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I got a M1A Loaded as a gift. This is a rapid fire group (<1 min) from the bench with iron sights.
[url]http://web.infoave.net/~tross/images/target.jpg[/url]
View Quote

how far?
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:32:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I've got both and as much as I love my M1a,what SteyrAUG says!!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:38:18 PM EDT
[#19]
DSA FAL buy the STG58...great bang for the buck.....M1A copies will be around forever
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:49:31 PM EDT
[#20]
ar10er and MickeyMouse,
                     Please document the Springfield Armory Cast reciever failures that you are aware of :-)
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:57:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[url]http://web.infoave.net/~tross/images/target.jpg[/url]
View Quote

how far?

100 yards
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 1:13:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 1:24:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
crowboy

[q]ar10er and MickeyMouse,
Please document the Springfield Armory Cast reciever failures that you are aware of :-)
[/q]

Did I mention any receiver failures?  No.  Statement of fact - some are forged, some are cast.  Many people feel cast is inferior.  I am one of those.  You choose what YOU like as will I.  I will NOT recomend to another member here what I won't buy / use myself.

Now Springfield BOLTS in their M1a is another matter.  The number of people who have complained of flying extractors is considerable.  Is it because the bolts are cast or because they are poorly machined?  I don't know.  What I DO know is that too many reports have surfaced to brush this off.  SA is good about warranty but that doesn't help a lot when TSHTF and my life depends on that M1A.  What to do?  Carry a burlap sack of extractors?  Tell the bad guy "time out, my gun fell apart"?  My FALS have proven reliable enough to bet my ass on.  Good quality M1As using mostly USGI parts are too.  New production ones still need to prove themselves to me.
View Quote
                                                                                                          I agree on the bolts and all non USGI parts, I would not have an M1A with any commercial parts other than the reciever.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 1:36:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I will NOT recomend to another member here what I won't buy / use myself.

Now Springfield BOLTS in their M1a is another matter.  The number of people who have complained of flying extractors is considerable.  Is it because the bolts are cast or because they are poorly machined?  I don't know.  What I DO know is that too many reports have surfaced to brush this off.  SA is good about warranty but that doesn't help a lot when TSHTF and my life depends on that M1A.  What to do?  Carry a burlap sack of extractors?  Tell the bad guy "time out, my gun fell apart"?  My FALS have proven reliable enough to bet my ass on.  Good quality M1As using mostly USGI parts are too.  New production ones still need to prove themselves to me.
View Quote

What he said.

BTW, I have a DSA FAL and an M1A (circa '95). Both are good shooters. If my life depended on it, I'd choose the FAL hands down.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#25]
This is very nearly a "Ford or Chevy" type question.  The rifles are very similar in most respects.  I've owned a couple of M1As and maybe 10 FALs over the years, and I still have trouble deciding which I prefer.  If you enjoy tinkering, building an FAL is reasonably easy and a lot of fun.  I like the ergonomics on the M1A better.  If you're one of those guys that needs to own a million mags for each rifle you own you better go with the FAL.  The M1A is an American rifle, which appeals to me.  Cast receivers should not be an issue if they're done properly.  OTOH, SA's QA sucks these days, too.

Bottom line, get one of each.  Or flip a quarter.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#26]
[img]www.btammolabs.com/images/m1asocom.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Preban: M1A over FAL

Postban: FAL (DSA) over M1A
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 3:12:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Both !
Both are very fine weapons, powerfull, reliable and accurate.

I prefer My M1A, with all USGI parts.
I just feels better in my hands then My FAL.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 3:28:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[red]who spends a grand on a dsa fal?[/red]

you can build one for under 5 bones or get a century at the gunshow for under 4 hundred.

i got a bud with a century built pmds. that thing has been hammered on and still comes back for more abuse.

View Quote

People who expect a rifle to do more than merely cycle ammunition.

I can probably build a zip gun for under $40 but that doesn't mean $400 guns are crap.

Do you also drive a Yugo? Why not they start and drive?
View Quote

[lol]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 4:38:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
ar10er and MickeyMouse,
View Quote

I agree with crowboy. I keep seeing unfounded threads trashing Springfield but I've yet to hear of any first hand bad experiences.

I've owned 7 M1A's so far and all are monster shooters. I had one trigger issue that Springfield took care of in less than a week.
Furthermore, I know more than a hand full of M1A owners and none have had issues with Springfield. Side note: Of the dozen or so "quality" AR's (Colt, Bushmaster, etc) I've owned...at least half have had issues.

I had a DSA FAL for a short while. Very nice rifle, but not my cup of joe.
IMHO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top