Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2005 4:01:57 PM EDT
What are the best type of FAL receivers?

Type I, Type II or Type III.

Do they have any differences besides the cuts to reduce weight?

Are the cuts in Type II or Type III receivers known to compromise the strength og the receiver?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:09:38 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What are the best type of FAL receivers?

Type I, Type II or Type III.

Do they have any differences besides the cuts to reduce weight?

Are the cuts in Type II or Type III receivers known to compromise the strength og the receiver?

Type III is the strongest, like this one
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:16:31 PM EDT
[#2]
The type II was developed in response to some issues with the type I receivers, especially with prolonged FA use. The type III was developed because less machine work made them cheaper to produce.

BE CAREFUL!! building FALs is just as addicting as ARs.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#3]
There is no appreciable difference in any of them that are made nowadays.  Get one from a good manufacturer in whatever style looks the coolest to you.  I like the Type I's myself.   I would stick with Imbel or DSA though plenty of people have had good luck with the others brands
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
There is no appreciable difference in any of them that are made nowadays.  Get one from a good manufacturer in whatever style looks the coolest to you.  I like the Type I's myself.   I would stick with Imbel or DSA though plenty of people have had good luck with the others brands

I'm new to fals as well....   The FAL Files is an invaluable asset from my little bit o surfing there.    

I've heard a lot of folks say to stay with Imbel, or DSA...   I've got two Imbels sitting in my work shop right now waiting to barrel.   One of them had left over metal in the channel where the square portion on the back rear of the bolt carrier rides.  I had to take some of the rough edge off with a file and then a stone to get the bolt carrier to go fully fwd....

I've seen a few comments on the Fal Files about coonans not fitting with out some filing on various lowers... but most say that once they get them filed to fit, they are tighter than most of the other recievers out there....  so that seems to be a debate (coonans are type I)  I also read a few posts about fellas having to take a polishing wheel and there dremmel to the feed ramps...

That said I'm a NOOB with the fal and really love the FAL files...

other interesting links that I've found:
WECSOG (Willie E Coyote School of Gunsmithg) Fal build is a great primer...

I haven't take all of this one in, but it shows promise: AN STG-58 build page

And here is a link to the Coonan's manufacture's Web site:   The cheapest Type I I've found...  

Beware the coonan is investment cast... the DSA is forged... both are out of stock as I understand it.

Hope it helps.

Tom
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top