Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2004 12:39:02 AM EDT
I recently got the idea in my head that I want to buy a FN FAL (FN is a manufacturer isnt it?).  Now I attempted some research online and am seeing all this nonsense about metric and inch receivers.  

I'm hoping some of you guys can clear it up and just give me the bottom line (if there is one) on which is better, metric or inch, and which manufacturer is "best".  I know the wars that go on over Colt and Bushmaster for the AR-15's, I hope there isn't similar disagreeance on the FALs.  

I have seen part kits around and don't think I want that.  Also, just popped into my head now, do I have to get a preban or are they making post/no-bans now?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:52:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not any kind of expert here, but I will try to answer a few. I'm sure I'll get corrected if I am wrong here but I figure you need a response from SOMEBODY!

I believe the magazines are more affordable for metric and there may be other advantages as well. As far as I know metric is the route most people go. I think the inch is a L1A1 or something.......

Also, it's not about pre or post ban. You can get an FAL now with preban/no ban features, however I believe FAL's are still regulated by the 1989 import ban which requires a certain US part count (7?) to be complaint with the law.

As to makers, I do believe you will hear alot of reccomendation for DSA. It is my understanding they make the best FAL type weapon out. I'm sure you'll hear alot of people say avoid CAI. There's alot of makers out there, so it's just  going to depend what you want to spend. You may also check out azex arms. Don't know the addy, but do a search it should come right up. I have heard wondefful things about his builds.

That should get you through til someone who knows what the hell they are talking about comes along. You can also click "the armory" button and I think there's an entire section of the site for FALs where you can probably get more responses.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:02:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I am not an expert, but I have built 19 of them.  

Metric, not inch.

DSA if you can afford it, build one if you can't.  If you build, use an Imbel receiver.  Or Coonan.

www.falfiles.com
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:08:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I am not an expert, but I have built 19 of them.  

Metric, not inch.

DSA if you can afford it, build one if you can't.  If you build, use an Imbel receiver.  Or Coonan.

www.falfiles.com

+100

slash-5 is right on the money.  Coonan > Imbel, but both are good.  The FAL Files is an excellent resource.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:10:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:11:53 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks guys..... i didnt realize how expensive they were.

i dont know why, but someone had the image of the AK price range in my head...
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:06:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I would recommend looking at the Marketplace forum at FALFILES. There are usually two or three metric F A Ls for sale there. A good quality F A L can be had for about $600.00 or so. The prices on the DSA site are MSRP and much higher than current market for good used rifles.
If you do find one for sale over at FALFILES and are unsure about the deal, just I M me with a link and I will check it out for you.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:25:49 AM EDT
[#7]
What he said-I paid well under MSRP for my DSA STG 58 carbine. I'm by no means an FAL expert, this being my first, but the DSA is 100% squared away, and well worth the (substantial) investment. In fact, I think my next AR build will be on a DSA marked lower!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:22:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
thanks guys..... i didnt realize how expensive they were.

i dont know why, but someone had the image of the AK price range in my head...

Here's you one that looks decent.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=93&t=232091
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:28:10 AM EDT
[#9]
For what its worth, www.grumpysgunrepair.com/
This guy is good with these battle rifles....long ways away but I trust him.

Railgun....
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:40:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top