Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/28/2005 10:56:24 AM EDT
I put this in the FAL section too but I thought it would get more hits here.

I know this has been probably asked a million times but I couldnt find a thread to answer it. How accurate is a FAL at say 2-300 yards? 300 yrds + ? This is given that it has a good scope and is zeroed. Are certain FALs more accurate than otheres or is is a crap shoot. How accurate are the STG58s out of the box? Is the FAL considered a precision weapon with the right accesories?
Also, what is the bullet drop out FAL .308 at say 300 yrds? Are we talking a few inches or a foot?
.308 noob here. -Thanks
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:57:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By tacman22:
I put this in the FAL section too but I thought it would get more hits here.

For saying that, this will get moved for you by a mod to the FAL forum.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:03:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/28/2005 11:09:24 AM EDT by K2QB3]
My FAL is MOA out to 400meters,off the barrel mounted bipod. Haven't tried longer ranges.

That's with a leupold, proper headspace, Aussie surplus, and a new argentine chrome lined barrel.

You'll hear good and bad, mostly IMO because there's a lot of shot-out, pitted, and/or badly assembled FALs floating around. There's no inherent difference in accuracy between the FAL and H&K platforms IMO.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:06:05 AM EDT
I've had nothing but quick responses to my questions whenever I've posted in the arfcom FAL forum.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:06:56 AM EDT
FALs are MBRs, Main Battle Rifles. Not really intended for less than MOA of man at 300yds.
The Austrian STG-58s are generally very good shooters, because they were never actually used and are basically "as new".

Now if you wanted a "precision weapon" out of a FAL, I would start with one of DSA's Badger made, or Century's Green Mountain made barrels, and set it up on one of the Weaponarts "sniper" lower receiver set-ups. And an ARMS scope mount top cover.
Or hopefully, now that they didn't get picked for the SASS contract, DSA will offer up some "civilian" versions of the SASS rifle that they submitted.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:07:43 AM EDT
Expect damn near 1 MOA.

FALs are unique for military weapons in that they are incredibly well made and accurate.
Top Top