Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 2:53:10 PM EDT
My Dad is currently writing a story about one of his experiances flying over Vietnam. One day he was flying around and he got painted by a SAM Site and radioed in for assistance. 2-4 F4s were scrambled in to nuetralize the threat. Long story short, the F4s came in and provided a blanket of cover for my Dad to break away safely (probably saving his life). Anyways, my Dad  was wondering what kind of F4s would they be as he cant recall their names (unknown heroes i guess).

With the circumstances, what would you guess these F4s to be: Phantoms, or Wild Weasles? If you have any questions to clarify things, please ask and i will answer to the best of my knowledge.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:54:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Weasles
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:08:07 PM EDT
[#2]
F4-C 'Wild Weasels'... the F4-G (dedicated Weasel) came out later, after the war.

ETA that the first WW's were F-100Fs, followed by the F-105D, -F, and the F-105G Wild Weasel. The F-4 version came after that.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#3]
the WW name comes from the mission, not the jet.  105's did the job and were know as WW's before the F-4.  IIRC, there are F-16's doing the WW job now and have the name
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:09:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Just out of curiosity, what did your father fly?

I thank him for his service.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:13:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
the WW name comes from the mission, not the jet.  105's did the job and were know as WW's before the F-4.  IIRC, there are F-16's doing the WW job now and have the name

Correct
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:26:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Just out of curiosity, what did your father fly?

I thank him for his service.

He flew in P3C Orions. I should clarify that he wasnt the pilot, but was the Radar Operator on the Aircraft.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:13:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Before the F-105s became known as Wild Weasels, the F-100F Super Sabre(2-seater) was it.  They'd pack a shitload of 2.75 inch rockets, 19 per pod, and evertime they found a sight, they'd empty a pod in one salvo.  After the F-105s and F-4s took over the job, the F-100Fs became known as "Fast FACs".  They were forward air controlers in North Vietnam.  Call sign would've been "Strobe".  One of the highest ranking officers died performing a Fast FAC mission over North Vietnam.  He was a General, but I cant remember his name.

It may have been some F-4s that were on station in the area, that werent designated Wild Weasels.  Unless your father was egressing as a mission was ingressing, or vise versa, chances are they werent WWs, but on CAP.  

I dont think F-4Gs were dedicated WW platforms, but I'm not 100% sure.  CFII would be, as he is the boards true F-4 nut.  His dad flew them in Viet Nam, I believe.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:24:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Yankee Station (and Dixie Station) was covered by a CAP of Navy F4's at all times.  If he was flying P3's he was probably monitored on his route by Navy assets.  Navy had "Iron Hand" which was their version of WW.  Most of those missions were flown by A6 and A7 aircraft.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top