BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 7:55:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know shit about modern landing gear design and construction but I'd have THOUGHT that any good design would have included a strut that cams over and creates a safe locked gear even with zero hydraulic or pneumatic pressure anywhere in the system.

I must presume that I thought incorrectly.  
View Quote
I get the idea that the initial problem was that the landing gear was not indicating locked, meaning the over-center function was not taking place, leading to an unlocked landing gear situation.  Which is why the gear collapsed when hydraulic pressure bled off after engine shutdown, the nose gear collapsed.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 7:58:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

At least we could afford them..........
View Quote
Get back to even approaching a federal government of the size and scope we’re supposed to have and we could afford a fleet of 10,000.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 8:00:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That looks expensive
View Quote
You're looking at literally hundreds.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 8:01:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There are a lot of incidents not being reported based on your happy reporting.  Friend of mine deployed off the Commiefornia coast on the USS America with 6 F-35's at the end of 6 weeks they had 1 functional plane.  Off the top of my head, 1 spit out a hydraulic pump and left it on the deck on take off,training bomb stuck, landing gear problems. He is in SE Asia now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They hit 140,000 flight hours in June for the entire F-35A/B/C fleet with no lawn darts or worse.

No other fighter program has come even close to that.

The other mishaps have included a tailpipe fire from residual fuel, and a USMC F-35B in-flight emergency that was recovered.

Someone is going to experience the worst in these one of these days if the past is any indication, but to-date, the safety record of the F-35A/B/C is truly revolutionary in itself.

The 300th F-35 rolled of the production line in June, and there are several international partners flying them as well, to include combat missions already this year from the Israelis.

The Pratt & Whitney F-135 engines are proving to be exceptionally reliable, more in-line with the reputation of the F100-PW-229, but with almost twice the thrust.

I'm glad the pilot and the aircraft are safe.
There are a lot of incidents not being reported based on your happy reporting.  Friend of mine deployed off the Commiefornia coast on the USS America with 6 F-35's at the end of 6 weeks they had 1 functional plane.  Off the top of my head, 1 spit out a hydraulic pump and left it on the deck on take off,training bomb stuck, landing gear problems. He is in SE Asia now.
I'm tracking all the mishaps.  The USMC F-35B is a totally different bird when it comes to maintenance, from the actual depot-level maintainers I've spoken with.  It's more complex with the lift fan and routing of pipes and cables around the lift fan compartment.  Every mechanical system needs to be maintained, and will have different service lives in the various components.  You want to hear some insane stories from USMC maintainers?  Go talk to AV-8B mechanics, or Hornet mechanics.

At the end of the day, within the first few years (sometimes months) of the previous generation teen fighters, they had multiple total losses and fatalities.

Let's take the F-14A, for example.  Before we even hit the year 1980, there were 21 total losses from crashes, many of those for unknown reasons.

F-14A losses

Now let's look at the F-15A/B in just the 1970s....17 total losses with at least 4 fatalities.

It will take some more time to count up all the F-16 losses, but there was one in 1975, 2 in 1979, 7 in 1980, 15 in 1981, 15 in 1982......  The F-16 entered service 17AUG1978.  That includes international partners who were flying it up to that time.

The F/A-18 has suffered from many crashes and fatalities as well.

The F-22A, even with much fewer numbers than the F-35 fleet, has had several total losses and fatalities.

The F-35 has had one engine fire, one exhaust nozzle fire from accumulated fuel, and other less serious incidents that have not resulted in total losses or worse.

The F-35A first flew 12 years ago in 2006.

The F-35B first flew in 2008, 10 years ago.

The F-35C first flew in 2010, 8 years ago.

By this time in the F-14A, F-15A/B, and F-16A/B history, we had at least 77 total losses, with numerous fatalities.  That doesn't include the F/A-18 losses, which I can't find good references for at the moment.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 8:19:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Correction:  By 1985 in all 3 of the first teen fighters (not including F/A-18), we had 105 total losses of aircraft, and many fatalities, including lost people at sea to this day.

But the F-35 is a steaming pile of garbage, a failure, etc.  Just on reliability and lack of accidents alone, it is revolutionary.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 8:21:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The plane made an emergency landing for a landing gear problem.  Emergency landing procedure is to shut down on the runway (parking the aircraft) and to tow the plane to the hangar after everything is checked out and made safe.

I get the idea that when the engine was shut down and hydraulic pressure bled off the nose gear, which was likely the original problem due to not indicating being locked, simply folded up due to no hydraulic pressure to keep it extended.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From that one photo it looks like the nose did not touch the ground.

I found a version of the article that is slightly different from the one the OP posted.

It said that THE GEAR COLLAPSED AFTER THE AIRCRAFT WAS PARKED.

That'll certainly lessen the repair bill.

If that's the case, it'll need a nose gear door,  repair of the nose gear, and a very careful inspection.  Even on an F-35 it might not be all that expensive a repair in relative terms.

In absolute terms, it's sure to cost more than most people make in a year...or two or three.

But I doubt that it's a class A incident, which is one that costs more than a million dollars to fix.

ow, what's in the nose...that's very expensive.

So what would cause the nose gear to collapse on a parked aircraft?  
The plane made an emergency landing for a landing gear problem.  Emergency landing procedure is to shut down on the runway (parking the aircraft) and to tow the plane to the hangar after everything is checked out and made safe.

I get the idea that when the engine was shut down and hydraulic pressure bled off the nose gear, which was likely the original problem due to not indicating being locked, simply folded up due to no hydraulic pressure to keep it extended.
I wonder if the gear needed to be pinned while the PTMS/AUX HYD was still up and running?
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 8:27:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I wonder if the gear needed to be pinned while the PTMS/AUX HYD was still up and running?  
View Quote
It probably would have helped, if the malfunction didn't prevent it from being pinned.  But in an emergency landing, the engines are shut off as soon as the plane stops rolling.  And this sort of thing can happen as a result.

I watched a C-141 come in for an emergency landing with a bad left main landing gear and when they got stopped the crew shut down the engines just like the checklist called out, and then the left main landing gear collapsed.

It happens to about every aircraft design when the landing gear malfunctions and the over center locks don't engage.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 8:30:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Nothing a couple billion can't fix.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 8:32:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Too bad a Taliban wasn’t under there or it could claim it’s great at CAS
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just throw it in the pile of the 250 other F-35's we bought that cant be brought into a combat ready status.
View Quote
Gotta cite?
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 8:41:47 PM EDT
[#11]
And everyone in MX gets to go pee in a cup.....
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 8:42:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Some sort of HYD pressure release/decay.

The F-22 could also assume the Front Leaning Raptor pose if someone forgot to pin the gear.  I've long since forgotten the sequencing details that lead to this, but I'm sure they're available on the internet in one of the USAF class A mishap reports.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The F-22 could also assume the Front Leaning Raptor pose if someone forgot to pin the gear.  I've long since forgotten the sequencing details that lead to this, but I'm sure they're available on the internet in one of the USAF class A mishap reports.
I don't remember exactly what the problem/fix for the F-22 NLG problem was, but I do know it was NOT because someone forgot to pin the NLG. The gear collapsed during engine shutdown the two times I know about it happening.

The NLG doesn't get pinned until after engine shutdown since it isn't safe to go into the NLG area with the engines running.

I'm betting the F-35 NLG area is also a danger zone you stay out of with the engine running too.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 8:43:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Some F-35s aren't combat ready and may never be.

Oh, they could be made combat ready.  But not for free.

My opinion:  Use them for training. They can be upgraded later for a full combat rating if the need arises.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 8:44:41 PM EDT
[#14]
The in flight emergency was....a rain storm in the area?
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 8:56:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Gotta cite?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just throw it in the pile of the 250 other F-35's we bought that cant be brought into a combat ready status.
Gotta cite?
Literaly every DOT&E annual report.

OSD tells it like it is. No LM straight up lying press release horseshit on the f35.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 8:58:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You want to hear some insane stories from USMC maintainers?  Go talk to AV-8B mechanics, or Hornet mechanics.
View Quote
We can do that
@USMARINE1108
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:10:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't remember exactly what the problem/fix for the F-22 NLG problem was, but I do know it was NOT because someone forgot to pin the NLG. The gear collapsed during engine shutdown the two times I know about it happening.

The NLG doesn't get pinned until after engine shutdown since it isn't safe to go into the NLG area with the engines running.

I'm betting the F-35 NLG area is also a danger zone you stay out of with the engine running too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My mis-recollection.  I thought there were some IFEs where the APU needed to be running while the NLG was pinned.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Brought to you by the lowest bidder.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 11:53:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

OSD tells it like it is. No LM straight up lying press release horseshit on the f35.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gotta cite?

Your numbers are way off, and no such thing is found in any DOT&E report.

Here's how we can tell your 250 number is simply incorrect.

As of 02JUL2018, at least 302 F-35s have rolled off the production lines.

Up at Hill AFB, they have over 40 and are receiving 1-2 per month.  They got the 39th in July.  They'll have 3 Squadrons for a total of 72 for the 388th Tactical Fighter Wing.  These are all combat-coded F-35As, and they have already done deployments to Japan and Red Flag with the first squadron.  They're doing live weapons practice on a regular basis, including aerial gunnery training last week.

USMC has at least 38 F-35Bs, with VMFA-121 as a forward-deployed squadron and VMFA-211 at Yuma with combat-coded B models.  They have 16 bird squadrons vs 12 like in the USAF.

Australia has 6 F-35As delivered, 3 of which were combat-coded 3F models as of April.

Israel has 12 delivered, 9 that are combat-coded and have already seen combat in at least 2 different mini campaigns already.

The Italian Air Force has 9 operational F-35As.

Italian Navy has 1 F-35B delivered.

Royal Netherlands AF has 2 F-35As for testing/pilot conversion, 8 on order, with 27 more planned.

Norway has 7 operational F-35As in the US for training, 3 delivered to Norway, and 45 more planned.

The UK RAF and RN have 15 F-35Bs, with 9 already in the UK.

South Korea has 1 delivered just within the past month.

US Navy has 12 SDD F-35Cs being used for fleet integration and training, with 260 planned.

So the claim that out of 302 F-35s, only 250 aren't combat-coded would mean some math is all jacked up on someone's end.

302 - 40 (USAF Hill AFB) = 262

262- 32 (USMC VMFA-121 + VMFA-211) = 230

230 - 9 (Israeli AF combat-blooded) = 221

221 - 3 (Australian Air Force) = 218

A lot of the birds, like this one at Eglin that will be brought back to flying status, are specifically being used for ongoing weapons test & evaluation/integration (this will continue throughout the F-35's life span, just like every other combat aircraft in the US).  Eglin is one of the main USAF weapons test centers, along with White Sands, NWTC China Lake, and some others.  We have a vast infrastructure of weapons testing across the services, and those units need actual aircraft to do the testing so that combat-coded aircraft can get the upgrades as new weapons are introduced.

Others, like the squadrons at Luke AFB, are being used for initial pilot conversion training into the F-35A, to include a lot of our foreign partners like the Brits, Norwegians, Japanese, South Koreans, and Dutch.

Whenever I see someone talk about combat-coded vs initial SDD and training birds, I honestly wonder if they've ever looked at any other fighter program in US history, especially the previous generation.  This is how it has always been done.  You crank out your LRIP birds for ODT&E, conversion training, and send the first operational squadron birds to the depot-level maintenance facility (Hill AFB-just like they did with the F-16A back in 1978/79) so any fleet feedback that goes into subsequent production blocks can be upgraded into the first squadrons where the facilities are.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 2:17:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Some birds are also dedicated to ground training as well.  I remember seeing an F-4 that was delivered direct from the factory to an aircraft sheet metal repair school,  never to fly again, but to be damaged and repaired over and over again by airframe techs in training until it was hauled off to the boneyard.

Maintainers need to go hands on to learn their jobs properly.   It makes a lot more sense for them to have a permanently available airframe (or several) than to try to teach them on whatever random aircraft happens to be at the base and broken at the moment.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 2:19:48 PM EDT
[#21]
If this happened to Russia or China, this would be 100% proof that their military and planes are bad in general . At least to didn’t break down and have to get pulled out of the middle of the ocean, or crash into a commercial vessel like the navy’s crap

Maybe John McCain should be given a chance to fly some F35s before he goes
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 3:14:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Some F-35s aren't combat ready and may never be.

Oh, they could be made combat ready.  But not for free.

My opinion:  Use them for training. They can be upgraded later for a full combat rating if the need arises.
View Quote
That's the idea already
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 3:17:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

They must have used the same piston that's on my office chair.
View Quote

I just finally got a new chair this week!  Typing up around my chin was getting old.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 3:21:46 PM EDT
[#24]
The front fell off and he didnt have the shoulder thing that goes up
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 3:23:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If this happened to Russia or China, this would be 100% proof that their military and planes are bad in general .
View Quote
No it would be one more piece of evidence to add to the mountain though
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 5:00:05 PM EDT
[#26]
So, I guess I must have speculated correctly, that there is an overcentering locking strut in the gear assembly.  Nice to know that I have enough mechanical engineering knowledge to have guessed that.

Now,  because I'm interested,  in the case of gear that's held up only by hydraulic or pneumatic pressure from an engine driven pump,  how quickly would that gear collapse after engine shutdown?
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Here's what it looks like in the F-16:

Link Posted: 8/23/2018 5:14:29 PM EDT
[#28]
This total landing gear failure or failure to deploy landing gear only ended up skid-marking down the runway with the centerline tank, and scratching one of the fins on an AIM-9M.  Crazy-no damage to the plane.

Link Posted: 8/23/2018 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This total landing gear failure or failure to deploy landing gear only ended up skid-marking down the runway with the centerline tank, and scratching one of the fins on an AIM-9M.  Crazy-no damage to the plane.

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Must have been an Air Force iteration. I heard they had to fight hard for that feature.

Gives them more time to golf while it's being repaired.
View Quote
By jove I think you've got it.  When I was stationed there, with the alert Phantoms, Eglin had one of the nicest gold courses of any airbase around.  Of course the Navy and Marines play golf also.  Problem is the Navy's balls always sink, and the Marine balls get blown up.

All we had to contend with at Eglin was the gators.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

http://www.f-16.net/g3/var/resizes/f-16-photos/album30/83-1161.jpg?m=1371917763
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 5:36:50 PM EDT
[#32]

"Watcha been doing today, Taco?"

"Uh, just flying' as usual, a little ACM....Well I brought it back."

Front fell off:

"Hey Pete.  Is there supposed to be a Sidewinder in our truck?, because we have a Sidewinder in our truck now."

Link Posted: 8/23/2018 5:53:27 PM EDT
[#33]

While we're talking about mishaps ^^^^^^^^

Link Posted: 8/23/2018 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It's burnt string and glue.  Slather some glass and polyester from a Corvette kit on there and get back to work.  Fill and fair at a convenient time.
View Quote
Sound like an ETAR to me.  Print the post out and put it in the Ks.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 6:01:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If this happened to Russia or China, this would be 100% proof that their military and planes are bad in general .
That retread account there did better under his last username. lol
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 6:14:27 PM EDT
[#36]
I like the F35.

I'm sure we'll continue to have problems come up, and I'm sure we'll fix them.

Seems just how stuff works when you're pushing through to the next great thing.

Eventually, mark my words it'll be 2028 and some piece of shit socialist will shut it down and we'll wish we had more.  Because they will be awesome.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 6:14:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Class A mishap
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 6:17:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Your numbers are way off, and no such thing is found in any DOT&E report.

Here's how we can tell your 250 number is simply incorrect.

As of 02JUL2018, at least 302 F-35s have rolled off the production lines.

Up at Hill AFB, they have over 40 and are receiving 1-2 per month.  They got the 39th in July.  They'll have 3 Squadrons for a total of 72 for the 388th Tactical Fighter Wing.  These are all combat-coded F-35As, and they have already done deployments to Japan and Red Flag with the first squadron.  They're doing live weapons practice on a regular basis, including aerial gunnery training last week.

USMC has at least 38 F-35Bs, with VMFA-121 as a forward-deployed squadron and VMFA-211 at Yuma with combat-coded B models.  They have 16 bird squadrons vs 12 like in the USAF.

Australia has 6 F-35As delivered, 3 of which were combat-coded 3F models as of April.

Israel has 12 delivered, 9 that are combat-coded and have already seen combat in at least 2 different mini campaigns already.

The Italian Air Force has 9 operational F-35As.

Italian Navy has 1 F-35B delivered.

Royal Netherlands AF has 2 F-35As for testing/pilot conversion, 8 on order, with 27 more planned.

Norway has 7 operational F-35As in the US for training, 3 delivered to Norway, and 45 more planned.

The UK RAF and RN have 15 F-35Bs, with 9 already in the UK.

South Korea has 1 delivered just within the past month.

US Navy has 12 SDD F-35Cs being used for fleet integration and training, with 260 planned.

So the claim that out of 302 F-35s, only 250 aren't combat-coded would mean some math is all jacked up on someone's end.

302 - 40 (USAF Hill AFB) = 262

262- 32 (USMC VMFA-121 + VMFA-211) = 230

230 - 9 (Israeli AF combat-blooded) = 221

221 - 3 (Australian Air Force) = 218

A lot of the birds, like this one at Eglin that will be brought back to flying status, are specifically being used for ongoing weapons test & evaluation/integration (this will continue throughout the F-35's life span, just like every other combat aircraft in the US).  Eglin is one of the main USAF weapons test centers, along with White Sands, NWTC China Lake, and some others.  We have a vast infrastructure of weapons testing across the services, and those units need actual aircraft to do the testing so that combat-coded aircraft can get the upgrades as new weapons are introduced.

Others, like the squadrons at Luke AFB, are being used for initial pilot conversion training into the F-35A, to include a lot of our foreign partners like the Brits, Norwegians, Japanese, South Koreans, and Dutch.

Whenever I see someone talk about combat-coded vs initial SDD and training birds, I honestly wonder if they've ever looked at any other fighter program in US history, especially the previous generation.  This is how it has always been done.  You crank out your LRIP birds for ODT&E, conversion training, and send the first operational squadron birds to the depot-level maintenance facility (Hill AFB-just like they did with the F-16A back in 1978/79) so any fleet feedback that goes into subsequent production blocks can be upgraded into the first squadrons where the facilities are.
View Quote
VMFA-211 is currently deployed on the USS Essex.  Reports are conflicted, but it seems to be either replacing the Wasp (with VMFA-121) or taking its MEU to Syria.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 8:13:48 PM EDT
[#40]
At least he had a sig 320 that the airforce has made sure can be carried with a round in the chamber while ejecting in case he really needed to shoot gators as he parachuted down.  I say "slightly" in jest.

Is this the version with all the optics down there under the nose?
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 8:43:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Isn’t the sensor array that it is sitting on  machined out of a SINGLE, perfect Germanium Crystal ?
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 9:13:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
That was the Marines, they were F-35B's.
That's not a deployment that's a DET.
It was a test to see how the Marines working on the aircraft without contractors or direct factory support would work out.
It was also a test for the ship, ships systems and the supply system to see how that would work out.
That why they test the aircraft before they actually deploy them for real.
To find out what's fucked up, what needs to be fixed and what can be gaffed off.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 9:29:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Are the C variants on any carriers yet or are we still testing them?
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Am I in before @LRRPF52 sucking the F-35 off as the best plane evar! Lol

Edit: Nope. I'm not. Lol
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 12:53:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Are the C variants on any carriers yet or are we still testing them?
View Quote
The first Navy squadron is undergoing transition right now.
VFA-47 has been in transition since March of this year.
They are on schedule to become the first certified Navy F-35C operational squadron in October of this year.
They will be receiving aircraft from the factory and from VFA-125.
By Feb of 2019, once full capability has been demonstrated, and all other IOC criteria have been met, the Navy is scheduled to declare that the F-35C has achieved Initial Operational Capability.

The F-35C is fully carrier qualified as an aircraft, both of the Navy's F-35C training commands, VFA-125 and VFA-101 carrier qualified back in March of this year on board the USS Abraham Lincoln.

The next F-18 squadron to transition to the F-35C has not yet been selected.

VFA-147 is scheduled to make it's maiden deployment in 2021 on board the USS Carl Vinson.

The next step in the introduction of the F-35C to the fleet is to stand up a new joint strike fighter wing — based in Lemoore — that will debut in the near future.
That command’s mission will be to focus on building the Navy’s JSF capabilities and managing the transition of the squadrons that will be switching to the Navy’s newest fighter jet.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 6:49:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The first Navy squadron is undergoing transition right now.
VFA-47 has been in transition since March of this year.
They are on schedule to become the first certified Navy F-35C operational squadron in October of this year.
They will be receiving aircraft from the factory and from VFA-125.
By Feb of 2019, once full capability has been demonstrated, and all other IOC criteria have been met, the Navy is scheduled to declare that the F-35C has achieved Initial Operational Capability.

The F-35C is fully carrier qualified as an aircraft, both of the Navy's F-35C training commands, VFA-125 and VFA-101 carrier qualified back in March of this year on board the USS Abraham Lincoln.

The next F-18 squadron to transition to the F-35C has not yet been selected.

VFA-147 is scheduled to make it's maiden deployment in 2021 on board the USS Carl Vinson.

The next step in the introduction of the F-35C to the fleet is to stand up a new joint strike fighter wing — based in Lemoore — that will debut in the near future.
That command’s mission will be to focus on building the Navy’s JSF capabilities and managing the transition of the squadrons that will be switching to the Navy’s newest fighter jet.
View Quote
Awesome! Thanks.

Crazy how long these things take.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 7:19:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
At least he had a sig 320 that the airforce has made sure can be carried with a round in the chamber while ejecting in case he really needed to shoot gators as he parachuted down.  I say "slightly" in jest.

Is this the version with all the optics down there under the nose?
View Quote
All 3 variants have the same Electro-Optical Targeting System under the nose, which is the next generation of EO guts and gears evolved from previous generation EO targeting/laser spot tracker pods.

The EOTS is integrated with the Distributed Aperture System, which is 360° IR/MWIR, so that no matter where you look, you have a very high resolution IR picture of everything around you.  You can then zoom into that picture with the EOTS from under the nose.

This works for both Air-to-Air, as well as Air-to-Ground, simultaneously.

If you ever see video of what it looks like in the Helmet, there are Target Designate boxes or triangles on targets both in the air and ground, which the pilot can then zoom in on without ever taking his hands off the Throttle and Stick.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 11:40:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Am I in before @LRRPF52 sucking the F-35 off as the best plane evar! Lol

Edit: Nope. I'm not. Lol
View Quote
Am I in before ignoramuses who equate mishaps with full condemnation of a program?

Nope, that already happened on page 1.

As I said, in terms of safety and mishaps, the F-35 program is revolutionary.

None of the other teen fighters came even close to 140,000 fleet hrs without lawn darts and fatalities, and there is far more pressure on JSF than all of the teen fighter programs combined.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 2:51:47 PM EDT
[#50]
F-16 fleet status as of August, 2018:

Scrapped: 105
Write-off: 601 (an average write off rate of 15 per year)
Preserved: 146
Stored: 666
instructional: 105
On order: 0
Active: 2952

Changes '17/'18:
Fleet adds: 7
Fleet drop: 28

Here's what a scrapped F-16 pile looks like:

Here are what write-offs look like:

Here are some stored F-16s:

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top