Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2014 9:30:26 AM EDT

14 states are part of the system yet they all have different payment terms. For example VA charges $35 for the transponder, $0.50 to $1/month maintenance fee and then they charge $35 every time you go below a $10 balance, while Taxachusetts doesn't charge a transponder deposit or a monthly fee and only re-up your account to $20 when ever you go below $10.

FL's SunPass seems so much easier . a $5 RFID tag and non minimum balance required. If you need funds either do auto debit from a CC or bank card or go to a drug store and pay cash as needed.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:33:06 AM EDT
Quickly, someone post MilaJ and her Multi-Pass
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:33:13 AM EDT
But the .gov uses those to track you!
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:33:21 AM EDT
I forget what I paid for the EZ-Pass ($25ish?) but it costs me $.75/mo and it auto-refills to $25 once it drops below $10.  Considering the fucking insane toll costs, it's easier than carrying wads of cash, or being stuck with that shitty bill you have to send in if you don't have the cash on you.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:33:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2014 9:34:24 AM EDT by irishtech]
Originally Posted By Fullpower:
Quickly, someone post MilaJ and her Multi-Pass
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:35:00 AM EDT
Can't you just buy and register it in a state with more favorable terms?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:35:56 AM EDT
what a scam.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:36:04 AM EDT
Yep- Florida's SunPass works great.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:37:04 AM EDT
Not in a multi pass state, somebody explain it to me. Did you not already pay for the roads via gas tax, reg fees, etc? What is the multi pass money for? Obviously not the roads, because my state has lots of roads and interstates but we have multi pass. WTF are they doing with it?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:37:12 AM EDT
That $35 you pay for the transponder is prepaid tolls once you register it.  Also they also allow you to set the recharge amount.  $35 is just the preset amount that you have the ability to change.  If you drive the DUlles tollroad and Greenway daily, consider upping it to $75 or so.  You can only recharge/refill twice a month or something like that.

How much does it cost to open an E-ZPass account?
In order to open an E-ZPass account online or at a Service Center, you need to pre-pay a minimum of $35 in tolls.

Transponders are also available in select retail stores in E-ZPass On-the-Go Kits for $35. Both Flex and Standard E-ZPass transponders are available in Northern Virginia retail stores. The $35 payment for an On-the-Go transponder includes $15 of prepaid toll balance for immediate use plus an additional $20 prepaid toll balance after the transponder is registered to an account.

All retail transponders can be used immediately but should be registered as soon as possible so that customers can replenish their prepaid toll balance and continue to enjoy the convenience of toll payment using their E-ZPass without interruption.

A Monthly Account Maintenance Fee will be charged to the prepaid toll balance at a rate of 50 cents per standard transponder and $1 per Flex transponder.

Note that the transponders remain the property of the Virginia Department of Transportation and must be returned to the Service Center when the account is closed or the customer will be liable for the lost/stolen fee ($10 for a standard transponder, $20 for a Flex transponder).

If you drive the toll roads frequently, we recommend that you contact us or log into your account to increase your Replenishment threshold (low balance) level and replenishment amount to accommodate your average monthly toll usage.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:38:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2014 9:40:59 AM EDT by forwardslash]
When I saw the tittle, I figured you were from VA. Yea the ez pass here is retarded. Infact im just gonna avoid Portsmouth and the Jordan bridge. I racked up some stupid fees from the Jordan bridge.

ETA: something like $350 with the late fees, because they mailed them to my Florida address, that my Virginia plates were registered at. My fault I know, still retarded.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:38:23 AM EDT
Then don't use it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:38:25 AM EDT

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LutzNutz:

View Quote

Already ordered one from Taxachusetts.  

The problem is(if there is one) I need to go thought the Massachusetts system for all customer service issues.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:39:56 AM EDT
Originally Posted By irishtech:
But the .gov uses those to track you!
View Quote

They're already taking photos of your plates when you go through the tolls, might as well make the payment easier.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:39:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DragoMuseveni:

The problem is(if there is one) I need to go thought the Massachusetts system for all customer service issues.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I've heard Delaware is the place to buy from.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:40:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CWO:

Then don't use it.
View Quote
This.  I love my E-Z pass.  Go through a toll at 45 MPH instead of waiting in line to pay?  takemymoney

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:40:25 AM EDT

14 states are part of the system yet they all have different payment terms. For example VA charges $35 for the transponder, $0.50 to $1/month maintenance fee and then they charge $35 every time you go below a $10 balance, while Taxachusetts doesn't charge a transponder deposit or a monthly fee and only re-up your account to $20 when ever you go below $10.

FL's SunPass seems so much easier . a $5 RFID tag and non minimum balance required. If you need funds either do auto debit from a CC or bank card or go to a drug store and pay cash as needed.
View Quote
Wasn't DE giving them away for free last month?

I'm guessing I won't be using the tunnels here, ie, not going to VA Beach very often, once the tolls go in.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:40:48 AM EDT

View All Quotes

My transpondah in ma cah isn't wahken.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:40:58 AM EDT
Our university uses a system called UPass, which of course was immediately pronounced up-ass.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:42:58 AM EDT
They're convenient, for sure, but the downside is that it makes the raping you get from tolls transparent.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:43:17 AM EDT
In MA the transponder was free

In NH they are $8.90 but you get 30% off of all tolls.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:44:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By robplumm:

I'm guessing I won't be using the tunnels here, ie, not going to VA Beach very often, once the tolls go in.

View All Quotes

I'm pretty sure DE charges a $1 monthly fee.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:46:39 AM EDT

View Quote

They used to give a $5.00 credit when you bought the RFID one, too. My transponder was $35.00, because the RFID won't work on a motorcycle. You can also use the transponder on multiple vehicles.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:51:00 AM EDT
Hitch hauler with cooler, Coleman stove, etc.  Problem solved.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:51:49 AM EDT
I didn't pay a specific fee for my toll tag but when you sign up for one they charge your cc $40, but you have the full $40 added to your account. If you wait for them to send an invoice instead of using a toll tag the tolls are much higher and the late fees are fucking nuts.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:59:22 AM EDT
When I commuted all over the NYC metro area EZ-Pass was a freaking lifesaver. I sorta wish I still had one, just for when I drive back east to visit family.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:04:15 AM EDT
Benign tracking software... nothing to see here
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:10:14 AM EDT

View Quote

Seriously?  Is that a fee or do they charge your CC/bank account and add $35 to your EZ Pass balance?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:10:15 AM EDT
View Quote

Or better yet lobby the local rep to stop this crap from happening.
We pay a tax on our fuel useage to build and repair the roads we drive on.
Toll roads are nothing but yet another scam to extract funds from our already over taxed pockets.
Bastards.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:11:06 AM EDT

View All Quotes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-ZPass

Doesn't look like it.

$0 for email/web statements, $8/year for quarterly paper statements

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:11:50 AM EDT
Illinois I pass cost 50 up front to get.   10 is refunded when you turn in transponder and 40 goes into account.
No charges for anything except tolls.
Tolls are twice as much if you pay cash at booth.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:14:08 AM EDT
LOL... SunPass is a HUGE scam.  It's set up to gouge the tourists who use it in their "SunPass Equipped" rental cars and don't read the fine print ($15 surcharge per toll).  Also, 35-50 cent basket toll booths every mile is fucking retarded.  Like I want to lug a pocket full of coins through airport security...

BTW, you can sign up for EZPass through any state.  Pick whichever one has the terms you like best (I picked NH):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ezpass

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:14:59 AM EDT
Lots of products that block toll cameras. Just saying.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:16:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Greggy_D:
Seriously? Is that a fee or do they charge your CC/bank account and add $35 to your EZ Pass balance?
View All Quotes

Seriously? Is that a fee or do they charge your CC/bank account and add $35 to your EZ Pass balance?

They add $35 to your account.  So you'll have $45 in pre-paid toll money.  Considering how little I travel toll roads it's wasted money(Why would anyone living in Virginia Beach want to go to Portsmouth is beyond me ).
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:18:32 AM EDT
Traffic at the high rise bridges is going to suck.  It may possibly reduce the load at the two tunnels in and out of Portsmouth though.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:19:19 AM EDT
Originally Posted By vmax84:
what a scam.
View Quote

Yeah, what a scam. They clearly tell you the terms of the agreement, none of which are even close to unconscionable, and then you knowingly agree to them. Then you find out later that someone else has a better deal.

Question - If I have a vehicle registered in VA, can I buy a Whatever-PASS from some other state? Like you can do with different states' 529 college plans?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:19:25 AM EDT

View All Quotes

They add $35 to your account.  So you'll have $45 in pre-paid toll money.  Considering how little I travel toll roads it's wasted money(Why would anyone living in Virginia Beach want to go to Portsmouth is beyond me ).

I don't know...we have idiots that live in VA Beach and work up here in Newport News...fuck all if I'd want to travel the tunnels every day.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:20:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dbrowne1:
Yeah, what a scam. They clearly tell you the terms of the agreement, none of which are even close to unconscionable, and then you knowingly agree to them. Then you find out later that someone else has a better deal.

Question - If I have a vehicle registered in VA, can I buy a Whatever-PASS from some other state? Like you can do with different states' 529 college plans?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dbrowne1:

Originally Posted By vmax84:

what a scam.

Yes.

co-worker got the DE one when they were doing the free transponders. He lives in Norfolk...we work in NN...

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:20:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GTwannabe:

LOL... SunPass is a HUGE scam.  It's set up to gouge the tourists who use it in their "SunPass Equipped" rental cars and don't read the fine print ($15 surcharge per toll).  Also, 35-50 cent basket toll booths every mile is fucking retarded.  Like I want to lug a pocket full of coins through airport security...
View Quote

This.  I drove from MCO to Kennedy Space Center in November and couldn't believe how close the booths were.  It literally felt like every couple miles or so.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:21:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Pokernut:

Traffic at the high rise bridges is going to suck. It may possibly reduce the load at the two tunnels in and out of Portsmouth though.
View Quote

Then they won't have money to build the new mid-town tunnel, the MLK expansion, or fix the downtown tunnel.

Then they'll raise the tolls and even less people will travel those routes.

Then no one will want to invest in this area because of the even shitier traffic and higher toll costs.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:24:59 AM EDT

This. I drove from MCO to Kennedy Space Center in November and couldn't believe how close the booths were. It literally felt like every couple miles or so.
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By GTwannabe:

LOL... SunPass is a HUGE scam. It's set up to gouge the tourists who use it in their "SunPass Equipped" rental cars and don't read the fine print ($15 surcharge per toll). Also, 35-50 cent basket toll booths every mile is fucking retarded. Like I want to lug a pocket full of coins through airport security...

This. I drove from MCO to Kennedy Space Center in November and couldn't believe how close the booths were. It literally felt like every couple miles or so.

That's more of the FL Turnpike being a scam as a whole.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:26:14 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Gator96:
I didn't pay a specific fee for my toll tag but when you sign up for one they charge your cc $40, but you have the full $40 added to your account. If you wait for them to send an invoice instead of using a toll tag the tolls are much higher and the late fees are fucking nuts.
View Quote

That's how they have those people owing insane amounts of unpaid tolls, like $30,000, etc. You can't really rack up that much in tolls, but the late fees and collection fees increase exponentially.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:27:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2014 10:30:30 AM EDT by Thayes66]

View Quote

+1 screw the tunnels they can eat my ass.. the toll is too high and you must use a RFID tracking chip.. And they make money for a singular private entity without any bid process I am sure.. this is a crock and i s no better than the Rapid Gate id system for military contractors lining the pockets of someones pocket that is friendly to you .. BS
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:28:27 AM EDT

Then they won't have money to build the new mid-town tunnel, the MLK expansion, or fix the downtown tunnel.

Then no one will want to invest in this area because of the even shitier traffic and higher toll costs.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pokernut:
Traffic at the high rise bridges is going to suck. It may possibly reduce the load at the two tunnels in and out of Portsmouth though.

My wife and I saw the writing on the wall as soon as they kept going thru the construction even while it was going to the court.  We moved to Portsmouth so she could get to her practice toll free.  I only go to Norfolk or Va Beach once or twice a month anyway.  I remember when route 44 was tolled and the Hampton Rhodes bridge tunnel was tolled. Surprised it took them 30 years to bring tolls back to be honest. Bummer for the folks that cant afford the extra fees though.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:30:35 AM EDT
"EZ Pass is for suckers"  -Sonny Corleone
Top Top