Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 7:44:07 AM EDT
I need a good reccomendation for eye protection, but not for shooting.
I work in a lab, and we're supposed to wear eye protection while working.  Well, I'm not the most... safety concious... employee, and leave them in my pocket most of the time.

My problem is, the visual distortion from most safety glasses slowly drives me nuts.  I figured with as many people as there are on this site, who all have safety glasses, someone must know of a pair that doesn't have any visual distortion.  

Please reccommend a good pair of safety glasses so they stop nagging me at work.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:46:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Go with Oakley M Frames. I know they're shooting glasses but they have NO visible distortion I can detect.

(edited to add type of frames I have)
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:49:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I use the Pyramex V2 metal from safetyglassesusa.com for everything from shooting to vehicle extrication to patient care. They fit well, don't fog, are tougher than hell, and offer great wrap around side protection. They're also inexpensive enough to allow me to buy several pairs at a time so I can leave a pair in the range bag, a pair in my turnouts, a pair in the back of the rescue when I'm working, etc.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:50:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:58:32 AM EDT
[#4]
"Fectoids" by AOSafety. Great, cheap, high quality lenses. I buy 'em from Lab Safety Supply.

I had the same complaints until I found these. I liked them so much around the lab I bought some for shooting.

You can also get a "Fectogoggle", which I hate, but they come with this nifty strap that you can take off and put on your "Fectoids". Heaven!

aa
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:01:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:03:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a pair of Smith & Wesson shooting glasses, clear lens. They were comfortable and didn't have distortion.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:38:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Shooting glasses won't help that much against a chemical accident. What glasses are you supposed to wear? Are they Face huggers? Or can you just wear regular glasses? It's just that in a spill or a splash the liquid could "slip by" the regular glasses that's why they use goggles that totally enclose the eyes. you could even get it on your forehead and have it drip down into your eyes! Just browse various lab ware sties as they can have pretty good high end stuff.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:50:20 AM EDT
[#8]
You didn't saw what kind of lab you work in.

The lab safety class I took last summer said that it is LAW
that people working in chemistry labs (or other any environment where liquids may splash)
must wear safety goggles.  Not glasses, but goggles.

Normal safety glasses don't cut it, from a legal standpoint.

If you are working in an environment where flying debris is a concern,
you must wear safety glasses with side shields.  (OSHA regulations and such)

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:44:24 AM EDT
[#9]
It's a chem lab.  Pharaceutical research.
Every lab I've ever been in just requires safety glasses with side shields (or wraparound lenses).
I don't think I've ever seen anyone wearing goggles.  

In a pharmaceutical lab there isn't much that's going to cause a giant facefull of hazardous chemicals, except for a vacuum flask imploding.

Thanks for the advice so far.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It's a chem lab.  Pharaceutical research.
Every lab I've ever been in just requires safety glasses with side shields (or wraparound lenses).
I don't think I've ever seen anyone wearing goggles.  

In a pharmaceutical lab there isn't much that's going to cause a giant facefull of hazardous chemicals, except for a vacuum flask imploding.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Well... like I said, according to the information I got during the lab safety class,
there are federal laws requiring people in chemistry labs to wear actual goggles.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top