Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/9/2001 3:50:22 PM EDT
Just wanted to let everyone know what happened to me this morning in that others may learn.
I woke up this morning at 5:30 hearing the door close.  (It really didn't, just my imagination I guess) And I thought there was someone in the house.  All the guns were still in the living room ready to be cleaned from the days trip to the range.  The only one I had access to was my SKS which lives behind a bunch of clothes in the closet and the mags are in a noisy cabnet.  I decided to go to the living room anyway and stepped right into some cardboard boxes that were in the hall from unpacking, lots of noise.  Make it to the living room, the 357 isn't loaded, neither is anything else.  Load the 357 from a strip holder that I found in the dark and proceed to make sure no one is in the house.  
Talk about learning a lesson.  Just glad I had this happen when not in the real situation of a break-in.
What have I learned-
1. Clean all weapons after a range trip and put them back in their original accessable place. Don't put off til the next day.
2.Keep paths through the house clear of obstructions.  
3.Have a plan to check the house similar to a fire drill.  This may seem a little extreme but it think its something wise to practice.  No forgotten rooms or closets etc.

This certainly opened my eyes, learn from my stupidity everyone!
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#1]
No little kids in the house, huh?  

Good points to think thru, though.

DrMark

[IMG]http://zapper.invasionworks.com/smilies/allied-sniper-kill.gif[/IMG]
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 4:18:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Do things the same ALWAYS.  Have one weapon ready on the nightstand.  THE SAME WEAPON ALWAYS.  Keep the weapon in the same condition ALWAYS.  Wether it is cocked and locked, empty with a magazine handy whatever as long as it is always there.

I am a medium heavy sleeper but I can grab my glasses and pistol in the dark out of a dead sleep and be on my feet in about three seconds.  My glasses go in the same place every night and the pistol is checked for round in the chamber, safety off (double action) and set to the place my hand lands when I reach.

Just my arrangement.  Planerench out.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 4:24:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 4:58:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
2.Keep paths through the house clear of obstructions.
View Quote

... Damn, gonna have to hire a little French chamber maid to take care of #2 for me. One with a nice a** and huge t*** that bearly fit into her top, and log slender legs, all the way up to her p****!
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 5:04:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I just keep a gun with me all the time. Dirty or not.[:D]
[uzi]
View Quote
You sound like a SCARY gunnut!...[;)]
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 5:07:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Nope no Kids,
New policy tho is getting put into use in the house that is exactly like Planerench does.  Everything is going back into it's own place ALWAYS.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 6:09:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I still like Ayoob's idea of keeping a large fully clawed house cat.  First sign of an intruder obtain cat in one hand and flashlight in other.  Search house and upon finding intruder toss cat on same.  Mr. Cat instinctively climbs to top of landing spot and hangs on for dear life.

[}:D]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top