Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2005 1:08:51 PM EDT
www.boston.com/business/globe/articles/2005/08/08/extra_daylight_savings_may_confuse_the_gadgets/

Extra daylight savings may confuse the gadgets
Some experts predict miniature Y2K scenario

By Associated Press  |  August 8, 2005

NEW YORK -- When daylight-saving time starts earlier than usual in the United States come 2007, your VCR or DVD could start recording shows an hour late. Cellphone companies could give you an extra hour of free weekend calls, and people who depend on online calendars may find themselves late for appointments.

An energy bill President Bush is to sign today would start daylight time three weeks earlier and end it a week later as an energy-saving measure.

And that has technologists worried about software and gadgets that now compensate for daylight time based on a schedule unchanged since 1987.

''It is unfortunately going to add a little bit of complexity to consumers," said Reid Sullivan, vice president of Panasonic Consumer Electronics Co. ''In some cases, depending on the product, they may have to manually increase or decrease the time."

The upcoming transition evokes memories of Y2K, the Year 2000 rollover that forced programmers to adjust software and other systems that, relying on two digits for the year, never took the 21st century into account.

''It wouldn't be a society-wide catastrophe, but there would be a problem if nothing's done about it or we try to move too quickly," said Dave Thewlis, executive director of a group that promotes standards for calendar software.

Newer VCRs and DVD recorders have built-in calendars to automatically adjust for daylight time. Users would have to override them. Computers with Windows operating systems would need to obtain updates. Though most affected applications would probably be taken care of by the Microsoft fix, calendar systems will need to be checked.

Technologists sounded louder alarms as the year 2000 approached. A programming shortcut caused some computers to wrongly interpret 2000 as 1900, potentially fouling computer systems.

Businesses and governments threw $200 billion at the problem.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:12:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:30:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh no! Its Y2K all over again!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:32:09 PM EDT
[#3]
"Sure it MAY save [energy] but MILLIONS will be late!"

-Homer Simpson
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#5]

The upcoming transition evokes memories of Y2K, the Year 2000 rollover that forced programmers to adjust software and other systems that, relying on two digits for the year, never took the 21st century into account.

OH MY GOD! Y2K! They mentioned Y2K they have my total attention now!

Yea, because Y2K really panned out to be the disaster those fucking media goons made it out to be.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:38:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

OH MY GOD! Y2K! They mentioned Y2K they have my total attention now!

Yea, because Y2K really panned out to be the disaster those fucking media goons made it out to be.

Did you work in a field that involved correcting it?   Cause it fucking sucked for those who did.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:40:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
www.boston.com/business/globe/articles/2005/08/08/extra_daylight_savings_may_confuse_the_gadgets/

NEW YORK -- When daylight-saving time starts earlier than usual in the United States come 2007, your VCR or DVD could start recording shows an hour late. Cellphone companies could give you an extra hour of free weekend calls, and people who depend on online calendars may find themselves late for appointments.

An energy bill President Bush is to sign today would start daylight time three weeks earlier and end it a week later as an energy-saving measure.

And that has technologists worried about software and gadgets that now compensate for daylight time based on a schedule unchanged since 1987.

''It is unfortunately going to add a little bit of complexity to consumers," said Reid Sullivan, vice president of Panasonic Consumer Electronics Co. ''In some cases, depending on the product, they may have to manually increase or decrease the time."

''It wouldn't be a society-wide catastrophe, but there would be a problem if nothing's done about it or we try to move too quickly," said Dave Thewlis, executive director of a group that promotes standards for calendar software.

Newer VCRs and DVD recorders have built-in calendars to automatically adjust for daylight time. Users would have to override them. Computers with Windows operating systems would need to obtain updates. Though most affected applications would probably be taken care of by the Microsoft fix, calendar systems will need to be checked.

Technologists sounded louder alarms as the year 2000 approached. A programming shortcut caused some computers to wrongly interpret 2000 as 1900, potentially fouling computer systems.

Oh no! I will have to get off my lazy ass to push a few buttons! GOD HELP US!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:47:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Nah...Just leave your stuff blinking "12:00"...

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Having made a living with computers for a number of years (Network Admin, Desktop Support, telephone and e-mail tech support, owned my own PC shop) I can say without a doubt that MOST people will deal with these problems VERY BADLY.

The level of pure, unadulterated stupidity among the sheep when it comes to anything beyond a touch tone phone is STAGGERING to those of us that have dealt with it.  Seemingly intelligent people in other areas of life become drooling morons when confronted with technology.  People seem to lose any deductive reasoning or logic when dealing with anything that has a chip or LED/LCD display.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Having made a living with computers for a number of years (Network Admin, Desktop Support, telephone and e-mail tech support, owned my own PC shop) I can say without a doubt that MOST people will deal with these problems VERY BADLY.

The level of pure, unadulterated stupidity among the sheep when it comes to anything beyond a touch tone phone is STAGGERING to those of us that have dealt with it.  Seemingly intelligent people in other areas of life become drooling morons when confronted with technology.  People seem to lose any deductive reasoning or logic when dealing with anything that has a chip or LED/LCD display.

I couldn't agree with you more. I've been doing tech support, computer repair, and A/V system setup and repair at a university for two years while I'm going to school there.

It's amazing what double PHD weilding math professors and the like don't know about simple windows and ESPECIALLY Mac  functions,

My original post was more in regards to being forced to reset my VCR. I think it's sad what would happen to some people if they were simply dropped even 30 or 40 years in the past.

I think most would commit suicide.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:14:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you recieve that TPS report?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#12]
This will not affect people living in Arizona. I'll be returning there soon. I hope.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:13:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Should I buy duct tape and bottled water?

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:18:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I remember the LAST time we did this dumb shit. I am not a morning person and algebra was not my strong suit. Sitting in a class in the 9th grade with the sun not yet up was bad bad bad mojo.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:22:38 PM EDT
[#15]
0h t3h n00003s!  W3re a11 going 2 d13!!!  0ne m0r3 HOUR!!!111!!oneone
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:24:06 PM EDT
[#16]
now they can make office space 2
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:28:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Daylight savings time?

Hahahahahhaha!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top