Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/4/2014 2:35:25 AM EST
Having sold my beater '98 Dodge Ram, I am mulling over the possibility of getting either a new (or used, new to me) fullsize pickup..

I've already decided on an 8 foot bed...the short beds (and apparently they are even making them shorter than 6.5 feet these days) just do not seem to be very practical.

Now I am trying to decide on the can length. Regular cab, extended cab or crew cab....It is only me, and the dag. Once in awhile I may have a passenger, but it is rare and generally would only be one or two people.

I like the idea of the extended cab, as it allows room up front for groceries and things you may not want to put in the back..but can normal size adults who are not fatties or body builders fit back there comfortably?

Crew cab is a possibility, but I am thinking that would just make the vehicle too difficult to maneuver/park, etc..plus at that point I always thought if you need that much space up front you should just an SUV.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:36:39 AM EST
MegaCab or crewcab. Anything less is a waste.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:39:48 AM EST
I've always owned an extended cab and I like it, works for me. I have no use to haul 4 people in a truck. The back seats work great for putting stuff for trips or putting gun cases on.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:42:37 AM EST
My double cab tundra fits adults fine.

Crew cabs have reclining rear seats like the front and a 5.5ft bed in place of the 6.5 bed I have.

What will you be carrying more often?

People or cargo?

I carry more cargo and said fuck the rear passengers. They can ride like peasants.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:44:35 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 3O8junkie:

Crew cabs have reclining rear seats like the front and a 5.5ft bed in place of the 6.5 bed I have.

People or cargo?

I carry more cargo and said fuck the rear passengers. They can ride like peasants.
View Quote

Cargo without a doubt...
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:44:44 AM EST
I have an extended cab, four doors. Wouldn't trade it for a crew cab, they're too long.

My truck's a hot rod, I don't need anything fucking with my quarters.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:51:02 AM EST
Just realize that getting a crewcab will also fuck with your GVWR.....
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:54:29 AM EST
You already said that it would be a rare thing to have a single passenger (just you and the dag) and rarer still to have two.
For the rare occasion of a passenger, they get the front and the dog the back,no problem.
On the more rare chance you get more than one passenger and one needs to go in the back, well, it'll not be as comfortable as the front, but it's workable, and the frequency of that happening sounds like it would be so rare as to not be asking too much of that passenger.

The real deal though, is that you'll finally be able to recline your seat back a bit if you like. You'll also have room in the extended cab for items you want to keep dry in the rain, or not have to worry about something rolling around the bed...it can get put behind your seat.
I jumped from a regular cab to extended and the resulting benefits made me wonder why I ever went with a regular cab at all.

I'm also about to be in the market for a new truck, but also don't want to sacrifice bed length to accomodate passengers that I'd very rarely have, so it'll be an extended cab again, no need for a full-blown double cab, for me anyway.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:04:45 AM EST
Extended at a min.

My dad has a single cab ford and it is a PITA. There is literally nowhere to put anything.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:04:50 AM EST
Originally Posted By NathanL:
I've always owned an extended cab and I like it, works for me. I have no use to haul 4 people in a truck. The back seats work great for putting stuff for trips or putting gun cases on.
View Quote

Same. And if I have to haul 4 people around it can be done. It's a truck, not a limousine.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:06:39 AM EST
Originally Posted By maxxmojo:

Same. And if I have to haul 4 people around it can be done. It's a truck, not a limousine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By maxxmojo:

And the tradeoff for a crew cab is either a shorter bed or a longer truck.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:15:19 AM EST
An extended cab with an 8 ft bed is to long. Parking lots or even putting one in a garage is a bitch. I will never do it again.

By far the best of all worlds is a Chevy Avalanche or Escalade EXT. You get a full second door and seat and an 8 ft bed.... just not at the same time. And it fits in the garage.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:19:29 AM EST
Originally Posted By Dash_ISpy:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:21:27 AM EST
Originally Posted By glocke12:

Cargo without a doubt...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By glocke12:

People or cargo?

Cargo without a doubt...

Get the extended cab and be done with it.

My buddy went with the crew cab on his tundra so he could have the fancy roll down rear window and the sun roof.

Guess who he calls when he actually needs to haul something?

He only tows so I guess it made sense for him but I need a useable bed on my truck.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:21:47 AM EST

People or cargo?

View Quote

Same here. Recently checked out a 14 tundra crew cab. Couldn't believe the room in the back seat but the 5.5' bed kills it. I've had people in the backseat of my double cab and never got any complaints. Did really give a shit if they did tho either.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:24:16 AM EST
I drive a 4 door long bed.

Im "that" guy. I just take up 2 parking stalls so i know i can always get out. More and more stalls are made for only cars these days.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:24:49 AM EST
Originally Posted By thesandstertx:

View All Quotes

You guys use them to haul family around?

For a working or single man an extended cab is perfect. The fuck do you need a big back seat for?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:48:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/4/2014 3:50:09 AM EST by AssaultRifler]
crew or double cabs are worthless compared to extended cab for cargo purposes, the bed is shorter.

Double cab is beneficial for carrying more passengers and more inside lockable storage. If you use a truck for towing, bed length doesn't matter that much.

Extra cab vs double cab essentially makes the truck a two seater. I weasel out of a lot of volunteering to drive for others like a work luncheon or something because I can only take 1 passenger, saves on gas
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:22:48 AM EST
View Quote
Ditto. My tall 12 year old daughter has plenty of room with her stuff, and more for vacations. My truck is a 00 Silverado 1500 Z71 LT.

Even comfy for me to ride back there.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:32:52 AM EST
Originally Posted By DuraToTheMax:

For a working or single man an extended cab is perfect. The fuck do you need a big back seat for?
View All Quotes

At least 80% of truck owners never use them to haul anything, or to tow. Most use their megasuperdupercab to haul the groceries and the kids, just like they would with a sedan. "Trucks" make their husbands feel like men, so that's what they drive.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:27:33 AM EST
Originally Posted By 1Bigdog:
An extended cab with an 8 ft bed is to long. Parking lots or even putting one in a garage is a bitch. I will never do it again.

By far the best of all worlds is a Chevy Avalanche or Escalade EXT. You get a full second door and seat and an 8 ft bed.... just not at the same time. And it fits in the garage.
View Quote

My last truck was an extended cab long bed diesel and was a horrible job to park in shopping centers. When I sold my shop and didn't need heavy duty anymore it got sold three weeks later.

My current truck (ish thing) is an avalanche.

i can haul whatever i need to and it still has the power and weight to tow anything i need. If i drop the back wall I can fit 10ft pipe in and still close the bed up.

If you continually haul i wouldn't recommend it, but for one or two times a week its wonderful
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:29:59 AM EST
View Quote

same here
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:36:13 AM EST

View Quote

It's hard with a 6.5 extended in most parking lots. The extended cab is nice for putting shit in the back though. I'd like to pull the back seats and build a locking box platform with a hinged lid/ rubberized top to put shit in and on top of.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:38:00 AM EST
Originally Posted By Chairborne:

At least 80% of truck owners never use them to haul anything, or to tow. Most use their megasuperdupercab to haul the groceries and the kids, just like they would with a sedan. "Trucks" make their husbands feel like men, so that's what they drive.
View All Quotes

Sure glad my rusty Silverado pulls my boat. Wish I had a 3/4 ton though. At least in my POS truck I can see down the road a bit better.

My truck says don't hit me , in Victory Red paint/ rust. 212,389 miles. Runs good, looks like shit. Yet, the car drivers sure try.

Maybe I'll cut up and haul some walnut fire wood later. Or have my wife do it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:38:37 AM EST

View All Quotes

It's a foreign idea to me.

I have an extended cab diesel that I absolutely love, it's a badass work truck. I pack the bed full and drive over the mountain for work without losing a minute of time, it's a torque monster.

It's also the last fucking thing I want to take on a trip. We always take my GF's Toyota Highlander, it rides better, has a better stereo and delivers better mile to $ ratio.

I actually have legitimate need for a diesel truck and would NOT want a fucking quad cab. Extended cab is perfect.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:21:37 AM EST
I have a 4 door F250 with a 6.5' bed. I drove an 8' bed 4 door and yegads it's a long truck. Very hard to park. That extra length turns "just manageable" into not "parkable" for me.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:46:59 AM EST
View Quote

this man knows it.
I love my Megacab.4X4
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:48:22 AM EST
Originally Posted By ponykilr:
I have a 4 door F250 with a 6.5' bed. I drove an 8' bed 4 door and yegads it's a long truck. Very hard to park. That extra length turns "just manageable" into not "parkable" for me.
View Quote

Yeah, I've got a crew cab 350 with the 6.5' bed. I wouldn't want the long bed in the same configuration, and I'll gladly give up the bed length for the crew cab. I've never had an issue with room in the bed for cargo, as anything longer than what the 6.5' bed will comfortably hold goes in the enclosed 16' trailer.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:50:53 AM EST
8' crew cab.
At times parking IS a challenge, but I rarely go to cities.
Sometimes have to park way away and walk.

BUT, have a big family and haul lots of stuff, often.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:52:05 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/4/2014 6:53:25 AM EST by pdm]

View Quote

Had a Ram 1500 with the 8' and crew cab. That truck was comfortable and could seat 6 adults with no problems. Of course it also had the Al heads that warped at 90K.

But yes, parking lots were always a challenge. 10 or 15 point turns were the rule in the smaller parking lots. Either that or jump curbs and go cross country to make my escape.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:53:41 AM EST
The 5.5 foot bed in my F150 Supercrew pissed me off several times when trying to put stuff in there. I won't have a truncated bed again.

I traded it out for an F250 Supercrew and like the 6.5 bed just fine.

Having had a single cab truck, I also will not go that route again, extended cab at a minimum.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:54:03 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/4/2014 6:59:20 AM EST by 444]
I would get an extended cab.
Whatever they call it where you have a small back seat but not full sized doors to get into the back. You need a small backseat to put stuff in when you want to go to more than one store or whenever you want to be able to lock stuff up inside the truck.

I personally think the four door trucks look like shit and are what guys buy when there wife tells them what they are buying. Its a compromise between a real truck and an SUV for the kids.
In addition, the longer the truck, the more of a pain in the ass it is to drive (mainly turning radius).

If it's just you and the dog, go as short as you can without giving up bed length.

I have owned 4-5 pickups and I have it all figured out FOR ME
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:57:26 AM EST
My last 3 trucks have had extended cabs and they work for me. In the full size truck extended you can fit 2 adults and they have plenty of room.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:00:50 AM EST

I have an extended cab diesel that I absolutely love, it's a badass work truck. I pack the bed full and drive over the mountain for work without losing a minute of time, it's a torque monster.

It's also the last fucking thing I want to take on a trip. We always take my GF's Toyota Highlander, it rides better, has a better stereo and delivers better mile to $ ratio.

I actually have legitimate need for a diesel truck and would NOT want a fucking quad cab. Extended cab is perfect.
View All Quotes

Knock her up, then get back to us 9 months later. the big crew cabs allowing the working guy to have his baby on board.

Car seat, diaper bag, cases of paslode nails, what more could a guy ask for.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:08:59 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/4/2014 7:10:33 AM EST by diesel1]
I'll be the loner here and say I have no use for extended cab pickups. I have 4 trucks, all standard cab. Two are 3/4 ton work trucks that I pull a 14K trailer with, two are older Toyota 4X4's with the standard 6' bed. I love 'em all! If I did have an extended cab pickup; I'd pull the seat out and put in toolboxes or shelves.

ETA: I've found that a cross-bed toolbox is great for all the junk that would otherwise end up in the back seat.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:12:52 AM EST
We have an F250 4x4 Crew Cab LWB at work. Rides is great for a HD truck. No problems for me parking it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:15:15 AM EST
I have a ram 1500 crew cab .It's a daily driver. I went with the crew cab because my 13 year old daughter is 5'10". I want my kids to have room in the back seat. I'm 6'4" and can sit pretty comfortably in the back seat. I have a short bed but I rarely haul anything and it will hold hunting or fishing gear just fine. My point is you have to decide on what need most and buy it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:15:49 AM EST
I went from a crew cab 6.5 bed to an extended cab 6.5 bed and regret it. That little space fills up quickly when your dealing with cased rifles and tools you dont want left in the bed. The trick in parking lots is to back into spaces.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:23:10 AM EST
.............I have no use to haul 4 people in a truck.

The back seats work great for putting stuff for trips or putting gun cases on.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:23:33 AM EST
I have a full size dodge with crew cab and 8ft bed. It's long when I put the plow on it.

I like it because I can still haul what ever I need to and still have a rack and tool box in the back.

I can carry 6 at the same time, or 2-3 and all our hunting gear in the back seat. (rear seats flip out of the way so has a nice indoor cargo area)

I also don't live in the city.

You DO need extra room to park when you go to the store.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:23:47 AM EST
We traded up to a F350 SuperDuty crewcab with a 6.5 bed from our totally decked out minivan 2 years ago. This was after all of the kids were moved out. We take trips often from one end of the state to the other and love the back seat as it makes room for the dog and can also hold luggage or groceries or whatever, even passengers, in the case of bad weather. The back seats are extremely comfortable to ride in as well.

If you insist on an 8' bed, I'd get the extended cab just to be able to get stuff out of the weather and to keep it from being a mega long truck. I haul lumber and plywood in the 6.5 bed and have yet to see where an 8' bed would have been absolutely necessary. Although you will give up a slight amount of articulation when backing up, I've also yet to hook onto a trailer where the shorter bed was an issue.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:23:49 AM EST
Originally Posted By HKH:

Car seat, diaper bag, cases of paslode nails, what more could a guy ask for.
View Quote

Funny cause it's true.

The ONLY thing I dislike about my 350 is the lack of "latch" attachment points in the backseat for securing car seats. Running the seat belt through the seat gets old, but I'm pretty damn quick with it at this point.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:32:39 AM EST
If I ever buy another truck it will be a crew cab 4WD long bed. I use the truck to haul stuff and short beds are just aggravating when you get to hauling furniture (helping someone move) or going to Lowes to get some building supplies (most stuff is 8 ft or longer). I want a crew cab so every not and then I can put more than two people in the truck comfortably.

Yeah, it takes up 2 spots in the parking lot but that's okay, I always part well away from the door anyway. I need the exercise and don't like retards bouncing their doors off my vehicle.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:48:28 AM EST

View All Quotes

I have an SUV with a utility trailer. Pick up would have been nice, but given that I wouldn't have used it daily as a truck, a $1500 trailer made more sense than a $30k pick up.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:05:11 AM EST
I have an extended cab and while I do likie it, at times I wish I had a crew cab. However, I don't sit in the back so any passengers can "ride like peasants" as far as I'm concerned.

I have toyed with the idea of taking the back seat completely out since I don't really have many passengers, if any at all.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:18:34 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/4/2014 8:35:45 AM EST by ztug]
I have a F-450 crew cab. The visitors I pick up at the airport several times a year appreciate being able to sit inside the vehicle. So do the dogs when it's 95 degrees out in the summer. I also load the groceries that I don't want to melt in a half hour it takes to get home from the grocery store in the back seat. Plus anything that I want to be secure and or not blow away out the bed. when I'm not towing the horse trailer, about the only thing that goes in the bed is stuff that's too big or too dirty to put in the back seat. speaking of which, it folds down and has flat storage plus a secure area underneath and behind it. All in all I don't think I would own a pickup truck that didn't have 4 doors. My Son's Little GMC jump seats in the back, i guess you can fit 4 in it if they are small and you only go a short distance but loading anything behind the driver means no reclining.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:25:20 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/4/2014 8:26:14 AM EST by Feral]
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:26:06 AM EST
Extended cab and an 8 foot bed .
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:29:52 AM EST
Originally Posted By AssaultRifler:
crew or double cabs are worthless compared to extended cab for cargo purposes, the bed is shorter.

Double cab is beneficial for carrying more passengers and more inside lockable storage. If you use a truck for towing, bed length doesn't matter that much.

Extra cab vs double cab essentially makes the truck a two seater. I weasel out of a lot of volunteering to drive for others like a work luncheon or something because I can only take 1 passenger, saves on gas
View Quote

My bed us 8' long.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:42:27 AM EST
I thought I'd need a crew cab on my 2013 F-150 for the kids... we went to look at them and the crew cabs were stupid with room in the back. I mean, three adults could comfortably ride from New York to California back there. The floor space looked TOO big.

I bought a Supercab and it has plenty of room. There's enough leg room in the front that unless you're Shaquille O'Neal, you don't need your front seats all the way to the back. I'd rather have the extra bed space.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:45:00 AM EST
Double cab.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top