Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2006 6:16:03 AM EDT
Almost every morning my son has some crazy dream.  It usually involves me killing his dog or doing some crazy thing.  I try to be a good mother but evidently deep down in his inner id he's leery of me to say the least.

This morning he tells me he dreamt he was in summer league basket ball [he lives for sports] and that I made him miss all the games and the last game of the season I made him late for the game forcing him to do synchronized swimming  

I've screwed him up didn't I?  He's marred for life?

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:18:29 AM EDT
[#1]
tag.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:20:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Almost every morning my son has some crazy dream.  It usually involves me killing his dog or doing some crazy thing.  I try to be a good mother but evidently deep down in his inner id he's leery of me to say the least.

This morning he tells me he dreamt he was in summer league basket ball [he lives for sports] and that I made him miss all the games and the last game of the season I made him late for the game forcing him to do synchronized swimming  

perhaps he's feeling guilty about something, the killing of the dog or force synchronized swimming are punishments dished out by you.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:21:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Personally I think that dream interpretation stuff is about 80% hooey.

I think he's ok

If your kid isn't at least a little mad at you, you
probably aren't doing somthing right
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:22:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe he's just looking for someone to blame for his own screw-ups?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:22:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

have you been walking around in jack boots lately?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:22:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Of the major psych papers I've read in recent years, one had to do with dreams basically as a projection of desire mingled with recent events.  Items in the dream (say, a basketball) could be from the day before while the theme of the dream (conflict with the maternal unit) is the projection of an ongoing psychological matter.

However, if conflict with the maternal unit is the projection, that would point to a reality of little to no conflict.

So I'll venture to guess that you two don't fight a whole lot and things are relatively peachy, all things considered?  Is he "spoiled" by any means?  Are you less than forceful, namely b/c he is so well-behaved?

(Aforementioned ideas are based on theory only.  I'm trying to see if it matches up)

- BG
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:22:33 AM EDT
[#7]
According to some, dreams are actually a random collection of thoughts going through your mind and not actually your body trying to tell you anything.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:23:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Tell your son to stop drinking ... at least before bed ...  

It could be nothing... Honestly sometimes a dream is just a dream IMHO.

(though I am convinced that my wife subconsciously doesn't think I'll be there when/if the SHTF for any reason. Every time she has a dream where something bad happens, I'm never there to help her... oh well. End threadjack.)
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:27:08 AM EDT
[#9]
He's watching too much MTV.

That'll be $500 dollars, please.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:27:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Tell your son to stop drinking ... at least before bed ...  

It could be nothing... Honestly sometimes a dream is just a dream IMHO.

(though I am convinced that my wife subconsciously doesn't think I'll be there when/if the SHTF for any reason. Every time she has a dream where something bad happens, I'm never there to help her... oh well. End threadjack.)

Projection theory = she is well aware that you will be there for her... the dream is the other side of reality as the brain sees it.

To put it simply, a sadistic serial killer would dream of running hand-in-hand with a girl that finally loves him while the most well-mannered kid might have a dream about drowning kittens.  OK, those examples are a little extreme... but the brain seems to need balance.

(Again, theory only.)

- BG
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:27:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Kids say the darndest things....
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:28:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Of the major psych papers I've read in recent years, one had to do with dreams basically as a projection of desire mingled with recent events.  Items in the dream (say, a basketball) could be from the day before while the theme of the dream (conflict with the maternal unit) is the projection of an ongoing psychological matter.

However, if conflict with the maternal unit is the projection, that would point to a reality of little to no conflict.

So I'll venture to guess that you two don't fight a whole lot and things are relatively peachy, all things considered?  Is he "spoiled" by any means?  Are you less than forceful, namely b/c he is so well-behaved?

(Aforementioned ideas are based on theory only.  I'm trying to see if it matches up)

- BG

He is very well behaved and we get a long great.  I just ran him down to school and we laughed about his wacky dreams.  He told me this morning the other day he had a dream where we had a family BBQ and some out of town friends showed up unexpectantly and I told him to toss a few puppies on the BBQ that we'll make do!  We laughed about it but it is rather odd.

I am a bit of a dictator but I'm consistant.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:32:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Get him a hooker immediately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't care how old he is.

He's going fag,!!!!!!

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:33:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Best bet is for him to tell you what the dream means.  Ask him to think about it and try to work it out.  You can break it down and try to figure it out.  Dogs mean “X” to most people.  A pet means “Y” but I would try to get closer to him and listen to him more.    Not saying your a bad mother and I don’t think you screwed him up.  He’s just trying to figure it “all” out.  The best bet is to give him a good foundation so he can make good decisions.  After all childhood is training to be an adult.  If you’re a good mentor and teacher he will grow from a good child into a good adult.  Dreams are choices and options.  

The shooter may look like you but it could be anything from a girl he likes to Osama.  The dog could be his home, you or a vague notion of security.  The act of Killing could represent the physical act or something like bird flu or even a natural disaster.

Just ask him what’s bothering him and then listen and don’t judge but help him to figure out what is the best course of action.        
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:34:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

- BG

He is very well behaved and we get a long great.  I just ran him down to school and we laughed about his wacky dreams.  He told me this morning the other day he had a dream where we had a family BBQ and some out of town friends showed up unexpectantly and I told him to toss a few puppies on the BBQ that we'll make do!  We laughed about it but it is rather odd.

I am a bit of a dictator but I'm consistant.

Well, according to the theory, you have a perfectly well balanced child.

I rarely buy into psych theory but they do seem to have their shining moments.

I won't get into what comes into play in the early teen years, dream-wise.  There are some things a mother doesn't want to hear.

- BG
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:36:07 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Best bet is for him to tell you what the dream means.  Ask him to think about it and try to work it out.  You can break it down and try to figure it out.  Dogs mean “X” to most people.  A pet means “Y” but I would try to get closer to him and listen to him more.    Not saying your a bad mother and I don’t think you screwed him up.  He’s just trying to figure it “all” out.  The best bet is to give him a good foundation so he can make good decisions.  After all childhood is training to be an adult.  If you’re a good mentor and teacher he will grow from a good child into a good adult.  Dreams are choices and options.  

The shooter may look like you but it could be anything from a girl he likes to Osama.  The dog could be his home, you or a vague notion of security.  The act of Killing could represent the physical act or something like bird flu or even a natural disaster.

Just ask him what’s bothering him and then listen and don’t judge but help him to figure out what is the best course of action.        

*screams in pain*

Dream symbolism!  

Run!

- BG
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:39:15 AM EDT
[#17]
You used to be in L.E, correct?

Well then, there you go....
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:39:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Patty, My guess is that he is terrified of dissapointing you, and his subconcious is thinking up these horrible things that might happen if he does.

In any event, I don't put too much stock in that stuff in general, and I suggest you don't lose too much sleep over it. Bad pun intended.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:41:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Get him a hooker immediately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't care how old he is.

He's going fag,!!!!!!

sure, get right on that one!

*ETA* thank you though for the serious input.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:53:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Patty, I wouldnt put much thought in it as decoding a dream is impossible. You just cant do it. All the hipe and crap out there about what they mean is, well Hooey as one member already pointed out.
Just stay true to being a good parent and it will be OK.

CH
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:58:59 AM EDT
[#21]
You might as well just  hand him a bag of crack and a slim-jim... he has no productive future.

or

it might just be weird dreams. I used to dream that my mom was driving us somewhere and I'd look over and she was gone so I'd have to hop into the driver's seat and drive... this was when I was still in the single digits age... did it mean anything? No... my mom jumped out of the moving car all the time and I never tried driving... I didn't have a license.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:59:19 AM EDT
[#22]

Patty,

No one knows what dreams mean.  There have been some attempts to overlay dreams with symbolism for the purpose of therapy or self-development, but they are just pragmatic social constructions.

Just give your son a hug and say.  " mwa hahahaha  -- you better be good or I'll destroy you"

Just kiddding: Just give your son a hug and say.  " I love you and want you to succeed in life".

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:06:52 AM EDT
[#23]
It's just a dream.  Don't worry.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:08:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Two words.... Jeffrey Dahmer.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:11:24 AM EDT
[#25]
I had hot dogs for lunch and visited my dad in the hospital later that evening. That night I had a dream that the hospital had free hot dogs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top