Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2007 8:40:21 AM EDT
About a month ago I got a notebook and a wireless router. Am I correct that my connection being unsecured means anyone within range of my router? I live out in the country 300' from the road with only a couple houses within several miles from me. Does this mean I'm safe to use this connection to do secure stuff like pay bills?
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 8:43:03 AM EDT
[#1]
"Cruze5...Paging Cruze5 to the General Discussion Forum, stat!"

If your setup is like mine you can enable security at the router. Wireless connections should need to be managed with logins and passwords.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 8:44:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
About a month ago I got a notebook and a wireless router. Am I correct that my connection being unsecured means anyone within range of my router? I live out in the country 300' from the road with only a couple houses within several miles from me. Does this mean I'm safe to use this connection to do secure stuff like pay bills?

In the country, you SHOULD be fine.  However, internet hackers and thieves get pretty creative and may wander the countryside looking for folks like you.

If this worries you:

Be sure your laptop firewall is on.

Turn off the SSID broadcast on your router

Set up encryption on your router
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 8:44:50 AM EDT
[#3]
If the connection is unsecure (no encryption and no filtering of any kind I assume?) then yes, anyone within range of your equipment can use it.  Further, anyone with some higher level knowledge and some freely obtainable software can grab your info to include usernames, passwords, etc.

Generally speaking, if you are in a truly rural area, it is likely that the worst that will happen is a neighbor might do some surfing on your dime.  At several miles between homes, even that is unlikely.

Realistically speaking, secure your network now.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 8:45:24 AM EDT
[#4]
To prevent drive-by connections, you should at least lock your router down to only allow connection from the MAC address of your laptop's wireless adapter.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 8:45:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Anyone within range can snoop on your network traffic and most likely connect to the net through your router, yes.

Bill pay and such are typically secured with SSL which is layered on top of the network protocols, so you are safe there regardless of whether the wireless network is unsecured (this is when an address has https:// and usually a little lock icon in the corner of the browser).
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 8:48:47 AM EDT
[#6]
It means anybody can park outside your house and use your internet connection. Among other problems this can cause, if they are engaging in illegal activity it will show from your IP address , therefor your problem.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 8:57:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Spend the time and lock it down, or go hard wire!

4 of my neighbors are unsecured.  I hated it when my router would pick up their signals.  I went to a hardline.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 8:57:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

300 feet?  Anybody with a cantenna closer than a few miles away could pick up your wireless connection.

www.cantenna.com/  ETA: made hot

Yeah, it looks like a pringles can, but it works very well as a signal booster.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 8:59:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I have been told that restricting by MAC and turning off SSID are both pretty low-level security.  If your router is WPA capable, activate WPA and set up a password requirement to access the router.  This is a PIECE of CAKE.  I did it in 10 minutes and I am not a network person.

shooter
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 9:00:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm in your woods stealin your Internets.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 9:04:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm in your woods stealin your Internets.

Parked behind you, stealing yours.

Link Posted: 1/4/2007 9:12:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have been told that restricting by MAC and turning off SSID are both pretty low-level security.  If your router is WPA capable, activate WPA and set up a password requirement to access the router.  This is a PIECE of CAKE.  I did it in 10 minutes and I am not a network person.

shooter

Yes, it is low level security because the MAC can be captured and spoofed by a software hack. SSID broadcast off can also be hacked and scanners will be able to detect the RF. WEP and WPA can also be hacked.  It is best to use a combination of the above, frequently changing the passwords.  And make sure to turn the wireless router setup access, using a cable to do all setup.

Link Posted: 1/4/2007 9:13:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Spend the time and lock it down, or go hard wire!

4 of my neighbors are unsecured.  I hated it when my router would pick up their signals.  I went to a hardline.

I'm on hardline CAT5/CAT6 cables.  It looks kind of nasty with the cabling all over the place.  I've got a 4port SMC router at CompUSA for $15 after rebate.  It works a lot faster than any SoA wireless unit.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 9:16:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

shooter

That is correct. MAC address filtering and turning off SSID do not secure your network against unauthorized access. WPA and preferably WPA2 encryption are the only effective means of securing a wireless home network.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 9:18:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

300 feet?  Anybody with a cantenna closer than a few miles away could pick up your wireless connection.

www.cantenna.com/  ETA: made hot

Yeah, it looks like a pringles can, but it works very well as a signal booster.

This looks interesting.  I have a Ti Powerbook and added an antenna as the case seems to inhibit signal.  I'm Ok with what I have for most areas of the house but this looks like it would solve ANY distance issues.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top