Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/7/2013 4:46:36 PM EDT
I'm not claustrophobic, never have been. I've worked in confined spaces in refineries.
I've had an MRI before. I've been stuck in an elevator for an hour, no problem.

I'm scheduled for another MRI this week and thats one of the questions they ask. So tell
me what happens to a person undergoing an MRI if they are claustrophobic? Is it that bad for them?
They can't lay in that thing for a while without freaking out?

So for those folks that are that way and really need an MRI, are they drugged to get it done?

Anybody here have that problem?
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 4:49:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I had am MRI once.  I found it so relaxing, I fell asleep.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 4:50:21 PM EDT
[#2]
They have more "open" MRI's now days. Or they can be drugged but that usually just means they give you a 5 mg diazepam. Unless you have a really cool dr and insurance then I have seen IV diazepam.

As to confined spaces? I don't get it myself. I like tight places. One of my best hiding places at work to sleep is inside a 24" dia pipe.

ETA - I always get yelled at to stop moving in an MRI. I always start giggling cuz it really sounds like your inside a pinball machine with a machine gun going off.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 4:52:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm not claustrophobic, never have been. I've worked in confined spaces in refineries.
I've had an MRI before. I've been stuck in an elevator for an hour, no problem.

I'm scheduled for another MRI this week and thats one of the questions they ask. So tell
me what happens to a person undergoing an MRI if they are claustrophobic? Is it that bad for them?
They can't lay in that thing for a while without freaking out?

So for those folks that are that way and really need an MRI, are they drugged to get it done?

Anybody here have that problem?
View Quote

For me, it's a massive anxiety attack.  I was not claustrophobic until I was injured.  Since then, tight, dark, spaces make me extremely uncomfortable.  With MRIs, I use a mirror so I can see outside the tube.  Even then it's not always enough and I have to hit the sissy button and come back another say.  With MRIs it's a combination of the tight space and the noise.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 4:53:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm mildly claustrophobic. I can use elevators, go into small rooms, etc without problems, but do not like to have my arms confined. MRI tube would freak me out. Not like quivering mass of panic, but it would definitely trigger a flight or fight reaction. I could suppress that reaction for a while, but my gut instinct is to GTFO by whatever means necessary.

For claustrophobic people there are open MRIs as well as Xanax and Valium.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 4:53:29 PM EDT
[#5]
When I was kid, if a ball or something rolled under our car in the garage, I would crawl under it to get it. . .DID NOT LIKE THAT. . . all I could think of was being trapped under that car. . (1966 Plymouth Fury III, four-door, metal-flake green). . .

The idea of being trapped in rubble, if I think about it, will raise my heart rate, and make me slightly sick to my stomach. . .
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 4:53:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe some traumatic event as a kid like being trapped somewhere or in something. Or maybe future projections of being dead in a coffin IDK. Never had a problem with tight spaces. Not really comfortable in dark dark places but I will manage. And I absolutely hate heights. Palms get sweaty and I can freak a little.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 4:54:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Im hysterically claustrophobic.  I cant even do an open MRI.  Once they put that mask over my face and slid me between the halves I lost it.  Ive needed an MRI on my head for years and I just cant do it.  My heart is racing ring now thinking about it.  Seriously, i can feel it pounding in my neck..
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 4:58:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Im hysterically claustrophobic.  I cant even do an open MRI.  Once they put that mask over my face and slid me between the halves I lost it.  Ive needed an MRI on my head for years and I just cant do it.  My heart is racing ring now thinking about it.  Seriously, i can feel it pounding in my neck..
View Quote

Do you know why? Did something happen in the past? I am scared of heights like being on a tall ladder or roof or rock because I know if I fall I will get seriously hurt or even die. But I know that having a mask over my face won't kill me.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:00:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Confined spaces don't bother me, but this pic makes me a bit uneasy.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:03:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Do you know why? Did something happen in the past? I am scared of heights like being on a tall ladder or roof or rock because I know if I fall I will get seriously hurt or even die. But I know that having a mask over my face won't kill me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, and I wasn't always like this.  As a kid I played in caves in the Daniel Boone National Forest. I dont know what changed.  I guess Im just getting crazier as the years go by.

Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:05:38 PM EDT
[#11]
It's like a massive panic attack.    being in a room and have the door shut. .............   makes me very uncomfortable.

GD
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:06:44 PM EDT
[#12]
If I don't have full range of motion of my limbs, I freak out.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:09:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Doesn't bother me a bit.

I've been in MANY tight places where I had to exhale completlly to move through, for example

Working under a house, crawling between floor joist's, digging in some places , EXHALING all my air to get through.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:09:43 PM EDT
[#14]
If you would go in this hole with people in front and behind you, you are not claustrophobic.

Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:10:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Nope, and I wasn't always like this.  As a kid I played in caves in the Daniel Boone National Forest. I dont know what changed.  I guess Im just getting crazier as the years go by.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My dislike of heights is growing with age too
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:10:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q194/Tinysd/progress-along-an-awkward-stretch-o.jpg
View Quote

Being there would most likely freak me out.  Then again, I got stuck in a drain pipe as a kid, with a winter coat on, and had to be dragged out by my feet - might have something to do with it.  

Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:10:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm mildly claustrophobic. I can use elevators, go into small rooms, etc without problems, but do not like to have my arms confined. MRI tube would freak me out. Not like quivering mass of panic, but it would definitely trigger a flight or right reaction. I could suppress that reaction for a while, but my gut instinct is to GTFO by whatever means necessary.

View Quote

That's pretty much me.  Imagine a few episodes of sleep paralysis with that in mind.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:11:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Doesn't bother me a bit.

I've been in MANY tight places where I had to exhale completlly to move through, for example

Working under a house, crawling between floor joist's, digging in some places , EXHALING all my air to get through.
View Quote

Yep. I did that under my house. Sliding on my back, exhale to get under the timber.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:15:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

The thought of a straightjacket really freaks me out.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:15:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Put on a full combat load and get in the back of Bradley with your squad.  After you've spent 5 minutes sweating and cursing, imsgine your soviet conscript counterparts stuffed in a BMP with half the space.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:18:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you would go in this hole with people in front and behind you, you are not claustrophobic.

http://www.astraldimensions.com/tid/NaturalBridge/Dcp_1765.jpg
View Quote

Would come shit un glued
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:18:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Put on a full combat load and get in the back of Bradley with your squad.  After you've spent 5 minutes sweating and cursing, imsgine your soviet conscript counterparts stuffed in a BMP with half the space.
View Quote

To be fair, they were probably drunk...
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Watch "Gravity"---you'll get both claustrophobia and agoraphobia at the same time.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:22:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Small tight spaces freak me out. So much so that I want to be cremated and not buried. The thought of eternity in a small box is not settling to me.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:25:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q194/Tinysd/progress-along-an-awkward-stretch-o.jpg
View Quote

I have been in a cave similar, exhaling to get through a space , actually got STUCK for about a minute.

It was tight enough to break the skin on my chest and back.
That time was close to claustrophobia, realizing there was NO WAY to move that rock
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#26]
I love small spaces, When I was young I used to find the tightest small space and take a nap inside, Drove my mother crazy looking for me sometimes.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:28:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I have been in a cave similar, exhaling to get through a space , actually got STUCK for about a minute.

That time was close to claustrophobia, realizing there was NO WAY to move that rock
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Had a similar experience when I was about 10, was stuck about 6-7min. Now I will NOT do tight crawls like that.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:31:03 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm claustrophobic. Never used to be. It comes with age I guess.
When I had to take a MRI, I closed my eyes before I  went into it and kept them closed. I knew I was in it, but I never opened my eyes and I got through it.
My other problem  is when I'm in bed with the cover pulled over my head. I can't blow the exhaled hot air into the covers infront of  my face. I freak out.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:35:13 PM EDT
[#29]
No fear of heights, or claustrophobia but put me in an airplane I need 5mg of valium.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Working my part time at an MRI clinic now.

PT on the table is claustrophobic. She was given Xanax.

We will try a washcloth over the eyes, and periscope style glasses first before medication.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Small spaces don't bother me per se, but anytime I am constrained so I can't draw in a full breath, or expand my chest and shoulders enough to feel like I am drawing in a full breath, I freak out and start to hyperventilate.  I had to get an MRI on my shoulder once and tried to do a closed one but it squeezed my shoulders enough that I couldn't take in a full breath, so I had to opt out  and go find an open MRI.  The open MRI  was still only a few inches in front of my face (like laying on a big slab with another big slab hanging a few inches over your face) but it was open on the sides so I could get a breath and I was fine with that.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm claustrophobic. Never used to be. It comes with age I guess.
When I had to take a MRI, I closed my eyes before I  went into it and kept them closed. I knew I was in it, but I never opened my eyes and I got through it.
My other problem  is when I'm in bed with the cover pulled over my head. I can't blow the exhaled hot air into the covers infront of  my face. I freak out.
View Quote

When I was a kid the darker and tighter the space the better.  My mom used to yell at me for sleeping under the covers, said I was going to suffocate.  Now, not so much.  It comes and goes but being under the covers sometimes bothers me.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:48:41 PM EDT
[#33]
It's panic from feeling loss of control from being somehow deprived of freedom of movement.

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Pretty much this. Spelunking is hard for me.

Quoted:
Small spaces don't bother me per se, but anytime I am constrained so I can't draw in a full breath, or expand my chest and shoulders enough to feel like I am drawing in a full breath, I freak out and start to hyperventilate.  I had to get an MRI on my shoulder once and tried to do a closed one but it squeezed my shoulders enough that I couldn't take in a full breath, so I had to opt out  and go find an open MRI.  The open MRI  was still only a few inches in front of my face (like laying on a big slab with another big slab hanging a few inches over your face) but it was open on the sides so I could get a breath and I was fine with that.

Once, on a really hot sweaty day, my body armor started to weigh just a little too heavy on my chest.

Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:51:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:53:00 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

A buddy and I once passed through something like that but it was half full of water. You had keep half of your mouth shut to breathe. Pretty stupid looking back on it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:54:46 PM EDT
[#36]
forgot a piercing once.      make sure   they know of any metal
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:55:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm almost just like you. I'm fine until there isn't room to breathe fully. I think my main fear is asphyxiation and not claustrophobia.  I can go under really tight crawlspaces/floor joists just fine, but caverns where you must exhale to get through cause me to flip out. It must have something to do with me knowing the house probably wont shift on me. The funny thing is I developed this fear after caving for some time, just one day you go through a tight passage and start thinking "Shit, this is actually kinda dangerous if something went wrong!"
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#38]
MRI is a claustrophobia and magnetism tester.  I am around them a lot.  Many patients panic as soon as they go in.  Many institutions and imaging centers have widebore magnets so there is a bit more space.  Older units were very tight.  The RF generates heat and there is a lot of noise.  It freaks people out.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#39]
I fell asleep the last time I had an MRI.  The tech told me I was snoring something fierce.

I'm a big dude, too.  Shoulders/upper arms/elbows pressed against the inside of the MRI tube.

-p.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

forgot a piercing once. make sure they know of any metal
View Quote

Most of the time when the magnet pulls off a tiny article such as an ear ring, it goes under the bridge and causes artifacts in the image.  Then the system is down an hour or three while an engineer pulls it apart to get your bling.  The objects like to sail at high speed into peoples noses and ears too. Lots of fun.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:59:52 PM EDT
[#41]
It's not being in a confined space that bothers me, its this strange "what if..." while I'm in said small space.    Make any sense?

I wouldn't mind crawling through the tunnel if it were architecturally reinforced and would not cave in.   It's the thought of it caving in while I'm in it that gets me.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:59:57 PM EDT
[#42]
I took a RIT class in my local fire dept.  part of that was moving through extremely tight spaces.   While breathing tank air, I had to completely take everything off, push my equipment through and then myself.  Hands were of no use to me.  

It really helped my confidence with tight spaces.  STAYING CALM is the main thing.  Letting your air out to get some room is easy if you stay calm.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 6:02:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm mildly claustrophobic. I can use elevators, go into small rooms, etc without problems, but do not like to have my arms confined. MRI tube would freak me out. Not like quivering mass of panic, but it would definitely trigger a flight or fight reaction. I could suppress that reaction for a while, but my gut instinct is to GTFO by whatever means necessary.

View Quote

This is how it is for me. Sometimes crowds pushing against me can make me have a mild anxiety attack as well.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Most of the time when the magnet pulls off a tiny article such as an ear ring, it goes under the bridge and causes artifacts in the image.  Then the system is down an hour or three while an engineer pulls it apart to get your bling.  The objects like to sail at high speed into peoples noses and ears too. Lots of fun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

forgot a piercing once. make sure they know of any metal

Don't forget cocked and locked 1911s either.  MRIs make them do weird things too.  

-p.

Link Posted: 10/7/2013 6:02:24 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

forgot a piercing once.      make sure   they know of any metal
View Quote

I remember when my buddy came up to me in the Marines,

"Guess they let some shrapnel in my face"

"Oh yea, how'd you find that out"

"MRI"

Link Posted: 10/7/2013 6:06:25 PM EDT
[#46]
It's not wanting to be fuckin stuck in some tiny-ass spot with no way to get out of it.  Any time I can't freely rotate my arms forward and back it's too fucking small, and I'll start trying to break things.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm another who used to not be bothered by tight spaces but don't like them anymore.  I used to do some caving when I was in college and have done the confined space classes, etc but I seriously don't think I could take a confined space class now.  If I can't get full chest expansion and move my limbs around I start to get really anxious (starting stages of a panic attack according to descriptions I've read); if it's not too tight I can close my eyes and get it under control, but I do not like it at all; I can get through an MRI by just closing my eyes and breathing deep.  I can work under my vehicles when I have to, but I really, really do not like going under houses.  

I'm not really sure when I noticed the change, sometime around 35 or so I guess, and I have no idea why.  I still like heights though.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 6:16:17 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm a big dude (not skinny) but the widest part of my is my shoulders.  I could lose 100 pounds and still be as wide shouldered as I am now.

I went for a closed MRI and she said she wanted to do a test to see if I would fit.  She took this smaller than normal hula hupe and put it over my head....it landed squarely on the middle of my shoulders.  It was clear I didn't fit.  The options were to reschedule (already had the contrast injected into my shoulder).  Or she could WRAP ME UP she called it.

Laid on my back with my left shoulder flat on the table and in the immobilizer (since it was the one being MRI'd.  Then she wrapped my right arm in a towel and pulled it around, basically like a straight jacket, and tucked the free end of the towel underneath my body.  They slid me in the tube and I literally had to move arms and elbows to get me in with parts of my arms dragging along the inside of the tube.  Think of sausage being inserted into a sausage casing.

That was the longest 45 minutes of my LIFE.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#49]
You ever seen "The Descent"?

Link Posted: 10/7/2013 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Tier 1 spelunker. well actually tier 2 Pro-Am caver ...so actually a Semi-professional...part time.. hobbiest ..ehh...I been in a few caves

when you have to exhale to shimmy through, and you don't quite make it through before you want air, aaannd your not even quite sure you'll fit and question whether or not to throw it in reverse.

but then you do....and you realize that was a bad Idea because you have to go through another birth canal before you have the hopes of having enough room to pull a 180 and gtfo.

yeah, that's it.

also, ladies love it when you fake stuck and/or kill the light & don't reply

ahhh good times
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top